Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Painting Anomaly #2

Guest Heather 636

Again, I LOVE this plane. Really looking forward to that float version.Anyway, I am almost finished with a Delta Air Lines repaint when I ran into a little problem. I had completely forgotten that the engine is a mirrored texture for the port side.In most cases this isn't a bother but in this case where text is on the engine, well . . .

[p class=dcmessage]Is there any chance that you fellas could be persuaded to correct this with a patch and new texture bitmap for the port side of the engines?In the meantime, as much as I hate to seeing as how I am a stickler for detail, I'll remove the 'DELTA' from the engines and upload it as is.No worries if nothing can be done; I know you guys are really busy and this will be a very low occurence problem. Just thought I'd bring it up in the off chance of it being upgraded.Best wishes!Heather

Hi HeatherUp to Jan whether he can do anything about the mirroring there in the future .. it does restrict one or two paints, you're right ... but anyway, you might want to hold on that glorious Delta livery you're working on. She's Wright-engined in the real world, and there will be a Wright-engined model in due course.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Heather 636

Hopefully Jan will. In the meantime, I think you're right. I'll just roll this Delta back into the 'pending" hangar until those Wrights come out.Lord knows I have enough other things to keep me busy until then.Cheers!Heather

You're doing a great job of that, though, Heather! As you may know, I painted her up for FS2002 so know her detail well, as it took me quite some time; and I can see that you've taken great care to get that front end right. Good stuff.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Heather, when you upload that Ship 41 repaint, I will worship the mouse you paint with. Combine the fact that I love the MAAM DC-3 with the fact that I'm a pilot with Delta Virtual Airlines, and, well, I've been wondering when somebody would repaint this gorgeous piece of work.Mark, I didn't know that she was a Wright-engined bird. Are there significant external and flight model differences between the P&W and Wright DC-3s? I guess I'll have to learn a new set of numbers besides 36/2350 and 30/2050, huh? :)Lewis "Moose" GregoryColumbia, South Carolina

Moose, the visual differences are not substantial and Joe Average would probably not even notice them. Basically the nacelle cowls are shorter and not as tapered as the P&Ws, the carb intakes are much smaller and you won't see the big oil coolers underneath that you see on P&Ws. If Jan were not making a Wright engined version in due course, I would encourage Heather to upload her paint without hesitation; but since he is intending to do that (he has a beautiful Eastern paint for it up his sleeve), Heather might as well hang on for it. Importantly, the flight dynamics and performance curves are different, yes, although not substantially. Same 'plane, after all, and the Wright Radials were also rated at 1200HP as are the P&W 1830-92s.I'm actually cheating myself, in having prepared a paint of Folsom's Air Service's floatie, seen elsewhere on this page within the floatie thread; she has Wrights in the real world, but as I know that Jan will not be making a specific Wrights version for the floatie, we'll have to live with the Pratts. I don't like to release what I know is inaccurate, but she is the only DC-3 on floats remaining in the world, so has to be done!Or was, rather. During the course of our construction of the floatie, Folsom's have just 'unshipped' her and are preparing her for sale as a wheeled aircraft once more (they put her on floats in 1991, if I recall, might be wrong there). So it's all the more important that we memorialise her, in my view. Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Heather 636

When released, I'll hold you to that "worshipping" business Moose. Shall I bring my riding crop? :-lol She IS a beauty isn't she? When I saw the photographs at http://www.airliners.net/ I just couldn't resist painting this one. A shame more of them aren't this pristine.I hope it won't be too long; looking forward to releasing this one. I sure hope Jan will make that texture correction on the engines. I would hate to release it with the "Delta" removed.I wonder if it would help if I emailed Jan and wrote sweet nothings for his eyes (in as much as it's hard to whisper in ones ear with email). ;)Glad you like it. This one was demanding to get it right.Cheers!Heather

Guest Javis

>I wonder if it would help if I emailed Jan and wrote sweet>nothings for his eyes (in as much as it's hard to whisper in>ones ear with email). ;)Heheh, i 'hear' you Heather :-cool In fact already taken care of the nacelles texture mirror mistake ( dunno what came over me leaving out left/right mapping, should've known better, shouldn't i ) see piccie of OY-BPB in the D-Day stripes thread (no image of the P&W logo on the inner nacelle). Then again no Cyclones yet of course but the're on the list for sure.The restored Delta bird sure's one of the most gorgeous DC-3's still flying and no doubt deserves an as much as possible true to live FS replica. Wonderful job on the textures !It's not only the Cyclone nacelles which are not featured on our UAL model but the R/W Delta ship also sports a port side sideways opening pax door which i will have to include on a future model suitable for the Delta repaint. Wish i could start right away but she'll have to line up in sequence waiting for her slot :(I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with the floatie in the mean time! Jan

Guest Heather 636

Hi Jan!Sounds like you're staying busy! But then, aren't you always?Thanks for confirmation of my wishes. I'll just tuck this lady back in the hangar and throw a tarp over her until those revisions come out.Plenty of other things to do in the meantime. My brushes rarely have time to cool to anything less than 105 F. Sure is rough on the bristles though."Sweet Nothings"Heather