Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 9, Athlon CPU and Via chipset problem

Guest Stamatis

After installing DirectX 9, I keep experiencing complete system freezes when flying with FS2002.I have observed that such freezups happen at an instant when I use voice during an online flight, or the instant when a voice ATC message is played by the default FS2002 ATC.I do not remember experiencing a freeze at a time that some type of voice was not activated, but I am not 100% sure.On two occasions, when I tried to come out of the freeze hitting various key combinations, I got a message that my system was very low on resources, and that it could stop operating!I then installed the MS Resource Meter, but during my next freeze the indicator was "frozen" showing 56% free resources... Surely it can't be that?Is anyone else using an Athlon and a Via chipset board experiencing this after installing DirectX9 ?Oh, and one last thing. After a message posted by someone in this forum, I changed two of my FS2002.cfg entries under to read:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=50.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=80.000000This certainly got rid of the blurry textures far out (what a change!), but as i did this change concurrently with the DirectX 9 installation, I am mentioning it in xase it could be causing this?Any help will be appreciated.Stamatis

I have a very similar system but have not had this particular problem...yet.I did lose the ability to play my DVD's with PowerDVD 4.0, but I upgraded my video driver to the 41.80 detonator drivers that are dx9compliant. That fixed that problem at least.I havent been really happy with XP since I did the SP1 upgrade. I still get the occasional blurry letters in the ATC boxes however I suspect that again is system resource related as if I try it again after a reboot, the problem is gone.Try a video driver change...maybe that will help.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Rob

For video card drivers - 41.80's really don't appear to be at all stable as far as Flight Sim is concerned. I personally recommend the 41.09's for Windows 2000/XP. Stability remains - and DirectX functions normally.

Guest SlimDady

Im run the via chipset, also the latest nvidia drivers and DX9I have had no problems at all with any games yet.. Fs included

Resources? Sounds like you're still using Windows 9x.I recommend you move to Win2k or XP. Much better at managing memory and resources.Running XP, DX9 and Catalyst 3.0 with no problems.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I havent had any problems with 41.80 yet. Guess to each his own!Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Anyone with Win98SE and Norton System Works, there is a snapshot utility in system maintenance called "Image". Does anybody know if this can be used just before installing DX9 to go back to DX8?There are already DX removers designed for DX9 on the internet. Viarena.com (or whatever), VIA's website, latest VIA 4in1's are there and the VIA USB patch. == WHK ==

Stamatis it would certainly help to see your specs but I can provide this advice to "anyone" using AMD with VIA chipsets.Keep your bios current and keep your 4 in 1 drivers current. the 4 in 1 drivers being the most important. Also keep in mind that if you do not have a card built on directx 9 then there is really no sence in having it just yet. FS2002 was built on direct x 8 and can take advantage of all the direct x features. I would stick with direct x 8 for now. There is a nice directx 9 uninstaller at guru3.com. It works like a charm but first upgrade the 4 in 1 to 4.45 and see what you think. Also setting you TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS to 50.0000 is not doing anything. FS can't go beyond 11.0000 with TERRAIN_DEFAULT as far as I know and TERRIAN_EXTENED can only work up to 12.0000 or something close to that number. I could be wrong it's only what I read :) . IF you are still seeing freeze with ATC it also could be a problem with your sound drivers.update those as well and make sure you have you OS with all current updates even if they are security related it's just a could practice to be in as I tell my clients :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest Stamatis

Richard,Thank you very much for your advice."Keep your bios current and keep your 4 in 1 drivers current. the 4 in 1 drivers being the most important."Yesterday evening I downloaded and installed the hyperion 4-in-1 Via drivers.Regarding DirectX 9, I will try everything first before attemting a "radical" uninstall :-)"Also setting you TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS to 50.0000 is not doing anything. FS can't go beyond 11.0000 with TERRAIN_DEFAULT as far as I know and TERRIAN_EXTENED can only work up to 12.0000 or something close to that number. I could be wrong it's only what I read. :-)"Only reasons I tried these values is because a) someone suggested them and :( they seem to make a visual difference to meBut if nothing works and I still get the freezes I will certainly revert to defaults."IF you are still seeing freeze with ATC it also could be a problem with your sound drivers.update those as well"I also did that last evening, together with the Via drivers. But the sound card drivers' latest update is dated January 2001 so I do not expect much from that front.I guess I will know today, after I fly for a while :-)Again, thanks for the advice!Stamatis

> FS2002 was built on direct x 8 Direct 7, according to a message sent by the MS development people to Peter Dowson. (That would fit with the development timescale too).

Guest Stamatis

To Richard all interested in this problem:After upgrading the Via and sound card drivers, I just completed a 2 hour flight, using default MS ATC, with no lockup.Maybe it was the drivers...But I need to test more to be sure I solved the problem.RegardsStamatis

>> FS2002 was built on direct x 8 >>Direct 7, according to a message sent by the MS development >people to Peter Dowson. (That would fit with the development >timescale too). Correct, and even few functions on that version were used. If DirectX 7 was fully supported a lot more would been done by the graphics and sound cards. Now these have it easy using FS as the CPU has to do most. In CFS3 it seems that changed a lot, I have seen effects there that would be very hard to do using only the main CPU. Also it is noticable that CFS3 looks so different on different graphics cards, a sign the graphics card is doing a lot of the work and is not just passing on what the CPU calculated.Mathijs KokLAGO

>To Richard all interested in this problem: >>After upgrading the Via and sound card drivers, I just >completed a 2 hour flight, using default MS ATC, with no >lockup. When DirectX 9.1 comes out your problem probably will be back :-) But it is good to know it seems fixed. These kind of problems can drive you crazy.Like I write to you in private, if your main goal is to run FS2002 there is very little reason to update to a new DirectX version. There is no benefit and only some risk. Wait a few months, it will be spring before there is any software available that will need DirectX 9.Mathijs KokLAGO

Guest Stamatis

Hello Mathijs,"Like I write to you in private, if your main goal is to run FS2002 there is very little reason to update to a new DirectX version. There is no benefit and only some risk. Wait a few months, it will be spring before there is any software available that will need DirectX 9."This may be so, but then why do about 50% of those who upgraded to DirectX 9, report an increase in performance?Stamatis

I just installed drivers 41.09 and my 3DMark2001 SE benchmark went from 9160 to 9887.Win MEXP2000+ AthlonGig 7vrxp KT333 mobo256 Mb 333DDR ramPNY TI4200 GEForce4 64 Mb DDR memoryFrom an MX400 PCI to the GEForce benchmark went from 2100 to 9160, then with new drivers, on up to 9887.Have most sliders to max and can hold good 35 fps on 2k2