Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 9, Athlon CPU and Via chipset problem

I would like to uninstall my DirectX 9, but I can't find the guru3.com site. I tried www.guru3.com, but it does not seem to exist. What is the complete URL?Regards,

I am just a novice and not a computer expert, but I read all these posts, and I am glad he got his issue fixed for now, but no one mentioned the most important thing to check for when upgrading any DirectX . . . ALWAYS do an UNinstall of video and sound cards before installing DX, install the DX THEN do a REinstall of your video and sound cards.I ran into HUGE issues with EQ and FS2k2 when I was doing an improper install of DX and everyone I talked to about wailed me for doing it the other way. It was a lesson stupidly learned on my part, but I am glad to pass this to you all so you do not have the same thing happen.

Upgrading to DX9 got rid of all my screen freezes in FS2K2, not to mention any other games that had them. There was also a noticable improvement in overall game performance. You must also know that the latest Nvidia drivers are the only ones that actually support DX9. The very early 4x.xx are still DX8 based and the later 4x.xx are DX9 based (the 42.80 and 42.09 I believe...I can't remember off the top of my head....they may be the 41.80 and 41.09).Saying that having DX9 isn't nessacary because FS2K2 is based on DX7 is complete and total nonsense. Although DX9 obviously has new features for the upcoming NV series video cards and such, DX9 also "upgrades" pre-existing DX8 files just as DX8 did to DX7.As far as the new VIA drivers are concerned, the new "Hyperions" are actually designed to work with AGP8x and 400mhz mobo chipsets. VIA states that the new Hyperion drivers should work with 333 and 266 chipsets but they are definately NOT supported by them. If you go to Viaarenas forums you can read about all the problems people have been having with them, the good part is that VIA drivers are tremendously easy to un-install if you do have conflicts with them. I myself haven't upgraded my VIA's since 4.43 (IMO the most stable), I am a firm believer in upgrading drivers one at a time until the problem is fixed. Fortunately, the DX9 upgrade and the new video drivers have solved ALL my problems hardware and app. related.Hope this helps a little :)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest PaulL01

>Saying that having DX9 isn't nessacary because FS2K2 is >based on DX7 is complete and total nonsense. Although DX9 >obviously has new features for the upcoming NV series video >cards and such, DX9 also "upgrades" pre-existing DX8 files >Shane Total BS!If you call the "new" visualy poor mipmaping scheme that sliped into the DX9 final improvement, then we all might as well through our old 32MB graphic cards back in! :-lolAnd as far as performance improvements of having DX9 and DX9 drivers to play DX7/8 games that is also total BS! (beatle soup)Here is a decent look at the situation:http://www.pc-extreme.com/artikel/detonato.../detonator4201/It is noted however that on older very CPU strained machines the "new" mipmaping scheme helps to squieze out a measurable performance gain in FS2k2, be it a >very< small one.>just as DX8 did to DX7.GHhhmmmph! :-lol onother spoof from the hype it up gang! "Hey and it makes my graphics card suddenly display brighter, vivid and sharper textures!" (Even though I never did a real comparison of the exact same screen capture before and after...) Total Beatle Soup!Yeh, If you put a plastic airscoop on the hood of your Toyota Corola and add teflon to your Oil you can get 50% better fuel milage and out run a Viper! Uh huh...:-roll

Guest Stamatis

After updating my Via and Audio card drivers, the computer freezes only when Roger Wilco is used to transmit voice during online flying.It can last from 10 minutes to 1 hour or more, but it will eventually always freeze during a voice transmission of mine.At least it has stopped freezing when default ATC voice messages are being played.Stamatis

Hi StamatisI have exactly the same problem but I don't have the same configuration (NForce2).The freezing comes after twelve minutes with an error in the atc.dll.As I had recently changed a lot of things in my computer, I replaced one by one Win XP Pro, SP1, DX9 and the NVidia drivers.I have always the same problem.I saw on a FAQ that it could be the speed of the CPU. I slowed the speed of my AMD XP2700 to 1950 Mhz. But nothing to do.I think that the problem is linked with the number of ATC messages because I fly near SFO which is full of AI.I will continue to search...

Here's another tip you can try. Yup, I have the VIA chip set :-( .VIA drivers and the AGP slot can cause many issues. If you still have lockups, try reducing you're AGP speed in your BIOS. Nine times out of ten this will fix the problem, but keep in mind it's not a solution. It only helps point you in the correct direction on resolving VIA/AGP issues. Over the holidays, I tried to upgrade to VIA 4.45 with no luck. As soon as the selection screen in FS2002 appeared, boom...system freeze/lockup. Reducing my AGP from 4x to 2x resolved it. But, I prefer AGP set to 4X, so I reinstalled VIA 4.43 drivers. My system AMD 1 Ghz asus via chip set mother board is rock solid with direct X 8.0 and VIA 4.43 drivers. Video drivers 30.82 on a asus geforce 3 Ti200 video card.My suggestion, reduce you're AGP speed, see if the problem goes away.. If yes, you'll have to look closer at you're AGP/video card and all the drivers related to it, to really fix the issue..Cheers