Sign in to follow this  
Guest iannel

R4D FS2002 - Strange Throttle Quadrant behaviour

Guest iannel

Hi all. I have recently purchased the R4D, and have done a lot of flying. I have noticed that at random times, the motion on the throttle quadrant loses it's "linear" movement, and the levers can only move from maximum to minimum - ie, I cannot set the mixture levers to anything between the two extremes, and similarly for the propellor pitch. I have a CH flight yoke, so the throttle I adjust with the little throttle lever on my hardware, which gives me no problem. Has anyone experienced this problem, any ideas? Once this happens, it does not return to normal. The flight does not start with this problem, I can normally follow all instructions as far as the settings are concerned.Hardware: Pentium 4-2.4GHz, 512Meg Ram, Radeon 9500, Sound Card with game port, CH Virtual Pilot Pro Yoke and pedals.Regards, Ian

Guest iannel

I upgraded to FS2004, and the same problem occurred - smooth movement initially, then only max/min movement later. Anyway, I can now use the wheel mouse to move the levers smoothly, so this problem no longer bothers me. Strange though that no-one else has had this problem, or that there are no suggestions as to the solution. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with this model.Regards, Ian

Guest texasaussie

Ian,It sounds like you need to re-adjust your mouse settings. You can even get the same situation with the mouse wheel if the settings are set too course.

Guest iannel

Hi Ray - no, it doesn't appear to be the mouse sensitivity. The moment you try and grab the lever, it jumps to the opposite extreme. This happens at any random time during the simulation session, and doesn't recover. Anyway, as I mentioned, the mouse wheel works fine with the FS2004 version, and is actually nicer - you don't have to aim so carefully.Can someone verify the following: I seem to land most of the time with a rather tail-low attitude. The previous R4D's from MAAM landed quite horizontally, and the tail sank after a while. I'm waiting for a DC-3 pilot friend to test the DC-3 and verify that this is realistic - I have to push the yoke in a bit on landing to keep it level. What is your experience?Regards, Ian

Guest hirsch944

Hello,Have you run the calibration routine for the throttle axis on the CH Yoke recently? I have the USP CH Yoke and every once in a while I am forced to unplug and re-plug in the yoke. Then I would run the calibration because I was getting weird values. This was causing the exact same problem you are seeing... no in between values for throttle, either max or min. I run the CH Calibration first and then I run the routine in FSUIPC to fine tune it.Do you have the latest FSUIPC? The newest one is 3.411 I think, and it has greatly improved my calibration readings. The yoke seems to hold the values and isn't as 'squirrely' as before. Hope that helps... I just got the CH Throttle Quadrant (highly recommended) and combined with yoke and pedals, Active Camera and volume full-blast the DC-3 is a fantastic experience for me.Dave HChief Operating OfficerEagle Express Virtual Airlineswww.EagleExpressVA.com

Guest iannel

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply, but I constantly tried to re-calibrate until I gave up with the problem. The throttle is quite smooth actually, because it's controlled by the movement of the physical single-level throttle on my CH Virtual Pilot Pro. It's the mouse action on the mixture and pitch that's the problem, although with the mouse wheel it's OK now. I couldn't use the mouse wheel in FS2002, but it works beautifully in FS2004, and the movement seems more realistic too.I have an FSUIPC version from a few months ago, and it didn't do anything to help my situation, although it does make the entire control of the yoke smoother.I share your enthusiasm for the CH Yoke, although I have an older version, the gameport version, and unfortunately I can't use the CH drivers anymore because I upgraded my motherboard, lost my onboard game port, and you only get game/midi ports on add-on sound cards now, which causes a problem for the CH drivers - I can't get the Y-Axis calibrated anymore. CH support says I need to sell my unit and get a USB model - very helpful. Anyway, I use standard XP drivers, and the movement is very smooth, although I have lost some of the buttons due to not having the CH drivers, but nevertheless it's so realistic, I'll never use a joystick again.Enjoy your DC-3 - does your tail also drop when you touch down?Regards, Ian

Guest hirsch944

Hi Ian,Gotchya now, sorry I thought you were talking throttle lever as opposed to the mixture/prop pitch. I haven't experienced problems there."CH support says I need to sell my unit and get a USB model - very helpful." I laughed out loud at this... Perhaps you should ask CH if they would be willing to buy your old one (full retail minus a slight depreciation) and give you a substantial discount on a USB version! Wonder what they'd say. I have had very similar experiences with CH 'support.' The new Throttle quadrant has very, very little documentation and the web site offers little help too. Had to go it alone to get it set up. I sometimes get tail drop on landing. I was reading the original Pilot's Handbook that comes with the product and it describes the different landings, ie three wheel, tail first and main gear first (desired) I've been working hard on flying the main gear onto the tarmac and letting airspeed bleed-off drop the tail. Getting there slowly.Regards,Dave H

Guest iannel

Thanks all for the suggestions on this topic. I guess this topic can be closed now, if MAAM support wish to do so. I don't think the problem has been solved, but the work-around is nicer.Regards, Ian