Sign in to follow this  
Guest SaVas

MAAM Douglas R4D-6 Windows translucence help needed

Guest SaVas

Gentlemen of MAAM, and anyone else that might have the Douglas R4D-6.I am coming here to post an inquiry from one of the members of the forum I am Payware Editor of.Our member only has a yahoo email account and because of that he is unable to ask himself, so I have told him, on his behalf, that since I have a forum membership here, that I would be more than happy to pose his question to you all.Basically he is in need of a fix for the clarity of the windows/cockpit, to make them more translucent if at all possible. He is wondering if there is a way to make them as clear as those of the B-25 which he also enjoys. Any help, or answers would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have the B-25 yet, and only the Douglas, so I am not sure how clear they are on the B-25.Much thanks,Stephen

Guest Javis

Hi Stephen,It all depends on the video card and FS version your friend is using.Sadly there's quite a difference between handling of transparency/reflectivity between FS2002 and FS2004 and that goes the same to some extend for 'older' and newer video cards like f.i. GF2 and GF4. With the same setting of transparency/reflectivity for glass parts and their texture, windows could be even non existant using FS2004 and one of the 'modern' video cards while they'd look pretty good in FS2002 with an older video card. Because the B-25 is quite a 'glassy' aircraft, which is an important part of its destinguished look, we have gone to the trouble of issueing a fix for the glass parts if needed so it would look good with most vid cards in FS2002 and FS2004 alike. As much more people will finally have moved to FS2004 too since the initial release of our B-25 model ( atleast that's what we hope and deffinately incourage people to do :( ) and probabely have one of those newer vid cards as well we did not include a 'glass fix' for the new R4D/DC-3 models but instead carefully choosed a transparency/reflectivity setting for the DC-3 glass parts which would look best in FS2004 with a modern video card but still pretty acceptable in FS2002 with f.i. a GF2. Sure the windows look much darker with the latter setup but, if you want my personal opinion, it looks better then 'glass' does in FS2004 with a modern vid card. When it comes to 'as real as it gets' and windows/glass in FS2004 /GF4 there is a major step back which can be noticed compared to FS2002/GF2. That's the one and only big gripe i have with FS2004 over FS2002.Soooo, i'm afraid there's nothing which can be done about the less transparent R4D/DC-3 windows compared to the B-25 but if it's any conciliation for your friend, you can tell him i actually envy him... :-cool Best regards,Jan

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I posted on another forum about the updated Aerosoft Beaver having lost the transparency of it's glass, but as I haven't changed my video card, yet did upload the updated Beaver which now has this opaque glass, are there not other ways to bring back the old style glass? I spose I should just have carried on without the update, ahh well.:-roll

Guest lemonadedrinker

Replying to myself: two textures were used to overwrite the mirror effect on the beaver so it may be possible to get new textures to effect the same on the Douglas