Sign in to follow this  
kiki

DC-3 repaints

I just love this MAAM DC-3. The default DC-3 of FS9 was great but this much much better in every way. Well, not in every... We still have a very limited selection of repaints. Are the any new liveries coming? Is there some reason for that limited selection? What about the European repaint, are there any coming? Anyone doing or interested to do these?http://www.kotiposti.net/syrjamaki/maambanner.jpghttp://www.kotiposti.net/syrjamaki/maambanner.jpg

There are repaints coming, Kiki, for sure, together with further variants of the DC-3 aircraft. As with the XC-47C float plane, the latter will be freeware, usable by anyone who has bought and correctly installed the R4D-6/DC-3A package from MAAM-SIM.I think there are a couple of reasons why you have not seen a lot of repaints to date. Firstly, the passenger model supplied in the package - that is, the Pratt-engined right-hand-doored United model - is actually quite a rare configuration. Most of the right-handers of that age were Wright-engined aircraft specifically built as DC-3s rather than converted from C-47s, and there weren't many of those. Such aircraft were typically flown by the likes of American, Delta, United, Eastern and Continental.So sticklers for realism (in as much as such is possible within the limitations imposed by FS) may not have rushed to this model to repaint it. I include myself in that league, for good or for bad. Actually, I am in the middle of a Continental repaint for it; the original Continental DC-3s were mostly Wright ladies, I think, but I am repainting the one flying today that is a Pratt-engined ex-American aircraft, restored and repainted in Continental colours. I decided to repaint her, rather than an original, because she's so nice and SHINY and the reflections are fun to play with! :-)The cargo model is eminently repaintable, however, and simply hasn't taken many painters' fancy to date, I think. I have just repainted it in two Atlantic Air Cargo (Opa Locka KOPF) liveries which I will be releasing this week, together with many of Atlantic's flight plans; but I haven't seen any other real-world liveries yet. Where are you, freight haulers?I'm going to hijack your thread, Kiki, and suggest to other painters who visit this page that we share intelligence on who is painting, or intending to paint, what. To do well, these aircraft take a lot of time, and it would be daft - given the thousands of wonderful DC-3 liveries to choose from - if we were to trip over each other. So Jan Visser, Ed Knapp, Kim Dahl ... might you post here what you are thinking of? I know that Jan and Kim have already found something in common ... ;( I will start by saying that I myself have painted, to date :R4D-6- South African Airways "Klapperkop"Passenger model - DC-3 Airways fictional in two liveriesCargo model - DC-3 Airways fictional in two liveriesFloat model- DC-3 Airways fictional in two liveries- Folsoms Air ServiceIn the paintshop and from the existing models I have:Passenger model- ContinentalCargo model- Atlantic Air Cargo in two liveries... and plans for Swissair and Bahamas Air liveries. Not to mention, all thirteen liveries of the legendary "Betsy" which I am doing in dribs and drabs. This will be my major undertaking over the next few months, with a revised panel included and her history and typical flight plans from her life. It is rare that one finds the history of a single aircraft recreated in flightsim - we tend to take a look at a single moment in a 'plane's life and then move on - but this "Betsy" package will be a comprehensive package telling her story. I hope that some will find that of interest, "Betsy" being the founding aircraft of Cathay Pacific Airways. One of her original pilots is in regular touch with me, flies her in flightsim and is assisting with the information I need.Soon, of course, we are hoping for further model variants from hard-working GMAX guru Jan. Once he gives us his C-47 style DC-3 variants with opening double doors and bucket seat / passenger interiors, then I think we'll really see some interest. Jan has made several small improvements too, which will please repainters.If I have once personal regret about Jan's excellent new models in the updated R4D-6 package and everything else he is doing, it would be only that the windows can no longer be configured by the repainter. I can live with aerials and wires being wrong for a certain paint, but have more of a problem with not being able to shape, remove or add windows at will. Several cargo variants, for example, should have almost no windows at all. Jan is aware of this reservation of mine, so who knows what the future will bring; but I know that he had to make the choice between giving us that capability or decent reflections, so it's a tough call.So what's in the pipeline, everyone else? Jan has KLM, Eastern and some beautiful Norwegian bird of the fjords lined up, I know ... Kim is poised to play D-Day with the C-47 model, as are others .... what else is in the hangar?Bring 'em on!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest kimdahl

Hello there!First of all I would like to say: oh no, not again?!?!? Has Jan once again fallen in love with one of my favourite birds? It seems to be the case if you are refering to the Dakota Norway DC-3 which I made as a repaint for the default DC-3 last year:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97644.jpgI was looking forward to making a MAAM SIM version, but now that seems to be out of the question. By the way, Jan, what is the status on the OY-BPB project?My other plans (which may be changed quite soon as well) include a D-Day version showing the Tico Belle of the Valiant Air Command:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97645.jpgThis bird is actually the former Royal Danish Air Force K-684:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97646.jpgAnd there is a rather colourful privately owned bird flying in Sweden:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97647.jpgAnd I have plans for two more RDAF repaints and a finnish bird. But all of these planes are waiting for Jan's C-47 model to arrive.That's about it for now!Best regards

Guest Javis

Kim,>First of all I would like to say: oh no, not again?!?!? Has>Jan once again fallen in love with one of my favourite birds?You'd like to keep all your fav birds inside your hangar,lock the door and throw away the key, huh... :-8 No fooling around with your fav birds!! Heheh, i'm totally with ya!! :-bang :-hah >It seems to be the case if you are refering to the Dakota>Norway DC-3She sure is a beauty, like to have my way with her !But,nah, Kim, Mark was just teasing you, he ment OY-BPB, don't worry ! ( them americans.... what do they know about Europe. Sweden, Denmark,Norway,Finland, all the same to them. Heck, they think that Holland is a province of Germany!) I have far too much up on my sleeve already to even think about a LN-WND repaint, she's all yours my friend ! (you'd have to wait a while still for a port-pax-only-sideways-opening-door....and that secondary-cockpit-side-bulgy-window at that... x:-) ) >I was looking forward to making a MAAM SIM version, but now>that seems to be out of the question. By the way, Jan, what is>the status on the OY-BPB project?Take a squint at this : http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...3&topic_id=3031That should answer your question :-coolJan

Guest Javis

>no windows at all. Jan is aware of this reservation of mine,>so who knows what the future will bring; but I know that he>had to make the choice between giving us that capability or>decent reflections, so it's a tough call.Best to get them painted on windows outta yer system once and for all,Marky. Apart from loosing reflection abillity what about when you hit Shift/E ? Not to mention strolling along the internal cabin ? Nah, it's gotta be 3D all the way now,Mark, or close off the view into the cabin when opening the doors of the external model and loose the internal cabin. Get GMaximised and Bob's your Uncle! And,hey, i'll get you your beloved Betsy with correct windows setup and all,don't worry! (-: Jan

Guest kimdahl

Hello Jan!I didn't mean to claim possesion of certain planes, I hope you know that. But the fact is that there are only six DC-3's in Scandinavia (including Iceland) in flying condition and of course these birds would be the most interesting for me to work with. So I naturally get a bit nervous when some american guy gets the countries mixed up :-)By the way, the pictures of OY-BPB look absolutely fantastic! And I also like the request for a "psycotic" repaint. Reminds me of a picture I have seen at the DC-3 Hangar ( www.douglasdc3.com ) of a bird painted with flowers all over. That repaint could be fun to make, but I have only seen this rather small picture of it.Best regards

<<<>>>>>"Dang, pal, we ain't so dumb. Everyone knows Holland is where the tulips come from on that li'l island ya call Yourope. And we know all them northern countries too; Sweden, Danemark, Scandinavia. Heck, we even know the Middle East! We're chasing up that yeller belly Osama Bin Liner in Irakville right now!"<<<<<<>>>>>>"We don't get 'em wrong, bud, it's all them other countries that change their name every week. Not us. We've always been the Republic of Texas and all them other states, so help me Dog. Er, ah mean God."All in good fun, no offence meant to anyone. Anyway, I'm British, so claim dyslexic and psychotic immunity.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. Actually, I know a lot about Finland. In 1903, when Finland gained independence from Russia, the census people came around from Moscow to check on who was who. One chap's house was built exactly on the new border, half on each side. "So do you want to be Finnish or Russian?" the census taker enquired. "You have a choice"."Oh, Finnish, definitely", said the fellow. "I couldn't take another of those Russian winters ...".http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Heather 636

I still have that Delta Ailines texture set. Kust waiting on the new engines and left & right cowl bitmaps. Probably won't take me more than an hour to finish it out once those are available. IOthers on my "To Do" list are:Trans Australia Airlines.Air AmericaCheers!Heather(P.S. A cargo version without windows would be nice.)

Guest Rattle

Well after receiving the copy of the DC-3 I could not resist and took the time to repaint it.Well it's my old addiction to military aircraft, so i painted it in the colors of the 39th Troop carrier squadron. The squadron was based in the South Pacific during WWII. The noseart and plane number is fictious.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/98495.jpgRattle "A way to fly"