Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

Sperry Autopilot/DC3

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hello there. Many thanks for the speedy sending of the DC3. I've uploaded it and it looks good. However I am in trouble with the autopilot; when I turn it on the plane will lurch the nose to the left and from an outside view you can see the rudder kicked right over.I've tried setting the speed control wheels to zero and that stops it, but it also stops it doing anything at all! Any advice appreciated.

Steer the aircraft by hand to close to the attitude you want the Sperry to have it keep.Only then engage the Sperry.When turning for the next waypoint, either do so gently (so in small increments) or disengage the Sperry, turn the aircraft, set the new attitude in the Sperry, and engage again.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Thanks,I will try that! The default FS9 DC3 is more forgiving then, with it's autopilot:P

Guest IanP

The default DC3 autopilot has, unfortunately, very little in common with a real WW2-era autopilot. The real ones were set up just to give the pilot's arms and legs a break from flying for umpteen hours, not really designed to actually fly the aircraft by (i.e. turning, climbing, diving, etc.) unlike modern ones. The FS version is sort of between the two... It is definately more forgiving than the one in the R4D, as you say!Ian P.