Sign in to follow this  
Guest ogeva

Is the C47 version still going to happen?

Hi deKoven,I see according to your profile that we share the same hobby - retirement. :-))The installer will only work if the R4D is installed to the default FS2004 path. The installer can check for the presence of a specific file (top secret - I'd tell you, but then you'd have to bail out minus your chute), but it's not smart enough to find non-standard FS installations. So if you don;t use C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 (or FS2002), you have to create a dummy R4D installation in the default path. The how-to is all laid out in the readme.But you say you have installed the XC-47, which means you made it through this exercise before, right? At what point are you running into a problem? Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest deKoven

>Hi deKoven,>>I see according to your profile that we share the same hobby ->retirement. :-))>>Snippage>>But you say you have installed the XC-47, which means you made>it through this exercise before, right? At what point are you>running into a problem? >>Bill Rambow> MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja &>Beaumont>I'm posting to let you and everyone know that the problem is solved. I copied ALL the MAAM files from aircraft to the C: drive Aircraft area and then installed with no problems. In the course of reading on another forum site I found this procedure and tried it out. Wallah! I guess that what I don't really understand is this; I'll allow the use of a special installation system for your models, I have no problems with this. Having said that, I can't figure out why the installation system can't be pointed to the proper area to install it's contents. I should point out that, in common with lots of other puter enthusiasts, I don't put user programs on my C: drive. I reserve that drive for system programs and programs such as defraggers and tools for system-wide use. Games go to other drives, period.

Hi,The answer is quite simple - the installer program I use, Install Creator Pro, has the option of requiring a file be on the system before allowing installation to proceed, but does not have a facility for finding where FS is lodged until AFTER this option is exercised.I agree that many FSers do not use the default path, especially computer savvy types. But my experience, judging by five years of supporting our products, is that these experienced users are still a minority. Therefore we need to make it easiest for the newbies, and rely on you more experineced types to figure out the alternate method.Install programs cost money, and I'm notoriously tight when it comes to spending our non-profit museum's funds. So, if some clever programmer out there would like to volunteer to produce something that both fits our needs for security and makes it user friendly for the customer, we would be happy to consider it. It has to be easy to use for the non-programmer assembling new packages, too. Uh, that would be me. ;-)I do realize this is not an ideal solution, but until something better comes along, we'll have to stick with this. The alternative is not to produce complete models as free add-ons.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest deKoven

>Hi,>>The answer is quite simple - the installer program I use,>Install Creator Pro, has the option of requiring a file be onSnippage>>Install programs cost money, and I'm notoriously tight when it>comes to spending our non-profit museum's funds. So, if some>clever programmer out there would like to volunteer to produce>something that both fits our needs for security and makes it>user friendly for the customer, we would be happy to consider>it. It has to be easy to use for the non-programmer>assembling new packages, too. Uh, that would be me. ;-)>>I do realize this is not an ideal solution, but until>something better comes along, we'll have to stick with this. >The alternative is not to produce complete models as free>add-ons.>>Bill Rambow> MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja &>BeaumontOkay, no prob here. Your answer makes perfect sense to me. Wish I had the money to donate a different installer for you. However, now that I know what's going on I can adjust accordingly. And FWIW, they're some of my favorite models. :D