Sign in to follow this  
Guest crazyh

R4D VC forward view

Guest crazyh

Is there any way to permanently alter the forward view in the VC panel. I would like to lower the horizon, I feel like I am flying tilted forward with so much ground visable. I have been using the enter + shift key. On take off I would think I should not be able to see the runway without moving my seat up a lot in VC mode. Is it just me?

Hi Crazy (hey, you picked it, not me! ;-)Having spent hours sitting in that seat - both of them - taking panel photos, and also standing right behind the pilots shooting video in flight, I can testify that the view is very accurate.As evidence I offer exhibit A...http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/pilotview.jpgThis shot was taken with the camera at eye level sitting in the pilot's seat. Note the relative position of the iron gunsight with the horizon.Now compare that with Exhibit B, the default VC view...http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/pilotview1.jpgFinally, and this is even more definitive, take a look at Exhibit C, which is the Takeoff video on your BT CD. 1 minute 25 in you will see a takeoff during the Doolittle Raid Re-enactment at KFDK. I had the tripod set at pilot eye level, as you can see when Tim's head tilts into view. Check out the gunsight position again before Russ lifts the nose wheel off.Your honor, the State rests. :-)Moving the default view permanently can not be done without upsetting all the carefully laid out 2-D views. It took me many hours of work to get everything to work and look right between the 3-D and 2-D viewing angles, believe me.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest lemonadedrinker

Are we talking about the same plane here? You may well have had your camera at the right place on the dashboard but you gotta be in the right plane to answer the question that was asked.:D :D

Guest crazyh

I do have the B25 and it is great and I have no problem with the views it it. My question was directed towards the front VC panel view in the R4D DC3 C47 FS2004 aircraft.

Guest kennethg

First of all, I thought Bill's exhibit A was the FS2004 BT's panel superimposed on a real scene from Reading Field. I guess it technically is, since it's obviously the picture Bill used for the 2D panel. I'm still completly amazed at the quality of that aircraft and it's always been my "Gold Standard" by which I compare all other FS2004 planes.As for veiwpoints: the B-25 is one of the few FS2004 aircraft that I've never had to change the VC viewpoint because it's simply perfect. As for the R4D, unlike the B-25, the 2D panel's eyepoint is significantly lower than the VC's point, which is also higher than where I see the pilot's eyes are when looking into the plane with the external camera. By sighting across the cockpit using the wet compass and the side window sill with the outside camera, I seem to see that the VC eyepoint is a bit high, but by no more than a quarter or half of the height of the wet compass (2-3 inches). Which, I might add, is as much as I normally crane my neck while taxying around any real airplane, taildragger or nosewheel, so I leave the eyepoint high on the ground, then lower it a bit in flight (by about a quarter of the wet compass's height).If you really want to permanently lower the initial VC eyepoint, go backup the R4D's aircraft.cfg file, then open it and find the section that looks like this:VIEWS (with square brackets that won't print here)eyepoint= -3.95, -0.85, 2.1The last number is the vertical distance in feet and tenths (.1 foot = 1.2 inches). I'd reduce this by, maybe, two or three tenths and go fly it. By the way, this is NOT the R4D's VEIWS settings, so don't copy and paste.

Brain f**t. Senior moment. A miserable case of the flu that has cooked my brain to the consistency of three-day-old oatmeal. Take your pick. Is my face red!:-8Sorry about that.Thanks for the exceedingly kind words, Ken. BTW, no single shot was used to build the panels. I literally took thousands. Thank heaven for digital cameras! That particular shot was to focus on the iron sight ring, actually. The B-25J Multi-Media CD contains, among other goodies, a sample of 500 of the pics I shot for the BT project. I used these and all the others for panel and gauge graphic work, and Jan used the interior and exterior shots for the model's textures. Check it out...http://www.maam.org/flightsim/PACKAGES/b25MMcd.htm It's only $10 and its all money for the museum.There. I have taken a FUBAR situation and turned it into an opportunity for a commercial. ;-) And thanks for the kind words about my panels.Now please excuse me while I go hunt up another bale of tissues for my streaming nose.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Bill, Sorry to hear you're not so well - hope you're feeling better soon. AND..... I have your extra CD Disc with all those extra goodies..... Brilliant and well worth ever penny, I'm still trawling thro' them. Many thanks again for some wizard Aircraft.Regards, Blue.