Sign in to follow this  
Guest pollard

Ignition Problems - One Cause & A Solution

Guest pollard

Hi everyone,Did some very thorough testing and identified one of the problems sometimes afflicting the MAAM sim aircraft on engine start-up.When going through the start-up procedure (in the 2D panel) in either Briefing Time or R4D-6 with the FRAME COUNT set to UNLIMITED, I was unable to fire-up the engines, they simply would not bite.When going through an identical procedure in exactly the same circumstances, both aircraft in the 2D, but with the FRAME COUNT LOCKED (in my case 25), I had absolutely no problems starting all engines.I don't profess to know why this is the case, perhaps it's resource related, I've no idea. And it may not be a solution for everyone. But it works every time for me and it may help someone else out there.If this is old news I apologise. If it isn't and it helps, great stuff!Ian Pollard ( Sir John :-sword )

Guest pollard

IMPORTANT!As a footnote to the above, if you're testing this solution. Just changing the frame counter/lock setting while you're sat in the sim will NOT suffice. You must reset the counter BEFORE you reload your flight/saved situation.Thanks, Sir John :-sword

I don't have any problems with getting the engines to start with Briefing Time when I have my frame rate set to unlimited. I have found however that there seems to be a sweet spot to click on the ignition switch, and it is different with each engine. Sometimes I have to click it a few times to get it to catch, but it does catch before it times out.Bill

Guest kennethg

FWIW: when starting the B-25 and R4D I use the method shown in the WWII training film for the B-25, which is ignition switches on before the using the starter. It's a lot easier to do with the limitations of FS2004 and I've never had any problems with the engines not starting, regardless of frame rate setting, which views I'm in or anything else. Yeah, I know Mr. Strine would probably kick me off the MAAM pilot's list if he knew about this! ;)