Sign in to follow this  
Guest racartron

FS2002 update for DC-3 Amphib

Guest racartron

Haven't been over here for a while and it seems the older posts have gone bye-bye.I had posted a question about MAAM issuing a FS2002 version of the amphib for those of us that bought the FS2002 version of the base plane (for the second time I might add). The answer I received was "...it may or may not ever happen as FS2004 was the direction everyone was taking and too much work was reqiuired to put a special version." Since I can't find the original thread, my recollection may be a bit off, but I definitely remember I wasn't very pleased with the general content, as I had paid for a version of the bird that was being excluded from upgrades and add-ons.Be that as it may, I now have a utility by Ivan Hsu that will convert FS9 mdl's into FS8 format, and wanted to install the FS9 amphib product and run the conversion. I understand some of the FS9 unique features would not work, but my interest is in getting the bird to show. I have used this app successfully on several FS9 compiled birds and figured it would solve my issue about not being able to fly the DC-3 amphib. Also it mean no extra work for the MAAM folksProblem is the D/L package installer will only search for a FS9 location, thereby precluding me from installing it at all.Is there a way around this?-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatifdgsupport.jpg

Hi Racarton,Not a problem. You just need to follow the following instructions from the maamXC47.txt. It does not matter that you do not have FS9 on your system. What matters is that you own the R4D / DC-3 CD.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ALTERNATE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR NON-DEFAULT FS9 DIRECTORIESBecause the XC-47 installer will check for the presence of the MAAM-SIM R4D/DC-3 in the default FS2004 directory, you must create a temporary, dummy installation if you don't have it installed there. There is no need to change anything in your actual FS2004 setup to do this.1. Place your MAAM-SIM R4D/DC-3 CD in your CD-ROM drive and open it using Windows Explorer or My Computer.2. Double-click on the self-installing archive "R4DC3FS9.exe" 3. Follow the on-screen directions, but DO NOT CHANGE THE INSTALLATION PATH. Rather, allow the aircraft to install to the default FS9 path. When you get the message that the destination directory does not exist, say YES that you want it to be created.4. Once you have created this dummy installation, you can proceed with the XC-47C installation, as above, changing the installation path to match yours, when prompted by the installer to select an installation directory.************************************************Of course, you will change the path in step 4 to your FS2002 directory. When you're done, you can go to the C:Programs FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 directory that this procedure will have created and delete the whole thing. Or, you may choose to leave it in place for the next time you need to use the procedure, as with C-47 OY-BPB and forthcoming enhancements for the package.Now, one caution about this utility you are talking about. The reason we do not have the FS2002 version is not any small incompatibilities in features. It's because the flight models for FS8 and FS9 are very different. Unless this program somehow can fix this issue, which I doubt, I'm afraid you are not going to have a flyable plane. Let us all know how you make out.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest racartron

'ppreciate the quick response, Bill. I'll install it later today. I figured there was a "dumb as a rock" solution. :)Regarding your comment..."Now, one caution about this utility you are talking about. The reason we do not have the FS2002 version is not any small incompatibilities in features. It's because the flight models for FS8 and FS9 are very different. Unless this program somehow can fix this issue, which I doubt, I'm afraid you are not going to have a flyable plane. Let us all know how you make out."I'm well aware of the issues regarding flyable FS9 birds in FS8. About 30% of my FS9 birds had to have an airfile "transplant" (using a similar working bird from FS8)This has had little to to with the utility, as I've been installing and flying FS9 birds long before I came across this app. The primary purpose of the app is to allow me to actually see the plane. Then if I have too many issues I'll just scrape it. At least I had the opportunity to give it a try,Again, thanks for the guidance.-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatifdgsupport.jpg

Guest racartron

Progress Report:Following your suggestion, the install went flawlessly. Turns out I could see the model in FS8 without running the conversion. So I guess y'all didn't compile it using the FS9 exe. This meant I did not have to run the MDLC program and risk messing up some of the visuals like stuck rudders or the like.I did have to swap out the airfile as I coldn't keep the engines running with the default version -- this is the most common issue with FS9 birds. I plugged in the FS8 MAAM R4D6 airfile and now am flying about the lakes in Northern Michigan just like I had good sense. ;)Now where did I stash all those neat amphib repaints in anticipation of this day???-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatifdgsupport.jpg

Hi Recarton,Using the R4D flight model you are no doubt flying the best performing, and therefore most unrealistic XC-47C in existence! ;-) The reason the design was so little used was that she was an absolute pig, and this was what Rob tried mightily to achieve in the FD. But hey, anything to get you flying and floating in the green monster. :-jumpyWe look forward to seeing those liveries. Let us know when they are posted in the library so I can link to them on our Free Enhancments page. http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/enhance.htm Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest racartron

"Using the R4D flight model you are no doubt flying the best performing, and therefore most unrealistic XC-47C in existence! The reason the design was so little used was that she was an absolute pig, and this was what Rob tried mightily to achieve in the FD. But hey, anything to get you flying and floating in the green monster. "I didn't know that. I have a copy of AirEd so could modify some of the performance parameters. Would it be possible to tell me which chunks of the airfile I should replace(from the original I have in backup) to more closely reflect the "Pig" in her??BTW, sorry to disappoint, but I was referring to the repaints I've been downloading from Avsim and Flightsim. There is no way I'm talented enough to create liveries. That is a real art.-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatifdgsupport.jpg