Sign in to follow this  
Guest SWA2873

C-47 repaint problems

Guest SWA2873

Some corrections.I am having problems with making the invasion stripes COVER the stabilizer fillet. They extend to it and then stop.I am aware that the stripes on the fusilage and the bottom of the right wing do not line up on the right side and does not show up on the left side aileron. These problems have been corrected. The curious thing is that the aeleron is still Olive Drab. The fact that the strip shows on it leads me to believe that the texture is being read.Thanks for yoru consideration regarding these things.Sam

Guest Javis

Hi Sam,Afraid you'll have to wait for the 'official' C-47 model to easily apply D-Day striping. There's a lot of remapping needed to make that possible you see. Only way for me to do this correctly is apply a D-Day striped livery myself to iron out any mishaps. In fact i was well underway working on this but BPB sorta 'got in the way'.Here's where i got re a D-Day stripe livery so far :http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/civilDC-3s/c47mil3.jpghttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/civilDC-3s/c47mil4.jpghttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/civilDC-3s/c47mil5.jpgWhen finished i could of course release these textures ( maybe without the US star and bars so other variants could be added ) as a seperate texture set for the upcoming C-47 model so atleast you won't have to redo the striping.The striping on the vstab fairing will of course also be added properly,as well as all smaller details.The left bottom aileron texture on the BPB model is still mirrored from the top ( shouldn't have happend, my mistake :-shy ) that's why you see it turn up olive drab.... sorry.I will try my best to finish the 'official' C-47 model asap. Most probabely it will be outfitted with bucketseats for para operations, troop carrier or normal pax seats.Bill copied me your email about the repaint issue,when i get back to work on the C-47 i'll be sure to contact you ( that is if you don't mind, of course ) so we can discuss C-47 details. You've already made some good points, thanks for that! Best regards,Jan

Guest SWA2873

Thanks a million for the response Jan.So that's the bird that Bill was talking about,...OUTSTANDING! Keep going. LOLAs I said in the e-mail to Bill the R4-D is the best thing going for FS9 as far as C-47/DC-3 variants are concerned and you guys have done a heck of a service to both the Mid Atlantic Air Museum and to the FS community as a whole by undertaking these projects.I have details concerning markings, tail numbers and letters for aircraft in some units, as well as fusilage markings for all the units in the IXth TCC.The most comprehensive Aircraft specific Information I have is for the 316th TCG these include chalk numbers. I have some information on ships from other units as well but this is more hit and miss In addition I have detailed photographs of the AN-148 and 147 antennae as well as some images of the fairings for the racks for aerial delivery containers.Please do let me know if I can be of any help to you. feel free to drop me an e-mail.http://home.europa.com/~bessel/505thPIR/Stick.jpgSam

Guest kimdahl

Hello all!I just want to get a little misunderstanding out of the way: the C-47 project with D-Day stripes is named the Tico Belle, not because Jan is going to do a model depicting the Tico Belle, but because I brought his attention to the problems concerning D-Day stripes on the original R4D models.So Jan is going to make a base model of a C-47 with D-Day stripes, but I really hope that I can still get the chance to make the actual Tico Belle repaint, since this bird is actually another ex-RDAF plane, formerly known as the K-684. And I have done both versions as repaints of the default DC-3, as you can see:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106725.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106726.jpgAfter the release of the OY-BPB model I tried to make the Tico Belle repaint based on this model, but I also ran into the problem with the bottom surface of the left side aileron not reading from the correct part of the wing texture. And then I decided to wait until Jan had got the base model finished. Instead I am working on an updated version of Vaerlose AB (EKVL), the home base of the OY-BPB. I can't promise the same high quality as the MAAM version of KRDG, but certainly a lot better than the FS deault version.Best regards

Guest SWA2873

Hi Kim;You based the repaints in the images on the DC-3 Cargo Version?I don't see the navigation dome. Anyway I have concluded that I have done as much as I can at this juncture with the OBP as far as the Normandy period textures are concerned.For now I am going to shift my attention to pre-Normandy schemes and will wait for Jan to do his magic with a New C-47A.Sam

Guest Javis

>Please do let me know if I can be of any help to you. feel>free to drop me an e-mail.Thanks, Sam, i'll do that,photo's are more then welcome,particularly showing details like the antennae you speak about. I think what we'd best be looking for is a more or less 'standard' C-47 model in most widely used config to which i could then add specific details later.If you like i'll send you a beta version of the C-47 model for you to check out before we release. One question for you up front : can you tell something about the 'gun ports' in the cabin windows ? I know it sounds silly to ask what exactly they were used for but i've always wondered about it.Also, are these ports constantly open or can they be opened and closed at will ? And are they present in each and every cabin window at both sides ? Kim : Sure you'll get your Tico Belle, with 8 starboard side windows and all, don't worry, just take one more deep breath from that spare oxygen bottle ( i know, it must be nearly empty now.. :( )cheers,Jan

Guest SWA2873

The gun ports are exactly that, gun ports for firing small arms from.There was a C-47 serving with the Army Air forces in the Asiatic/Pacific Theater of Operations which was credited with downing one Japanese aircraft. The C-47 was carrying troops when it came under attack. The troops on board removed the plugs from these gun ports and shot the attacker down.Somewhere I have seen pictures of this airplane on-line complete with a rising sun flag kill tally under the pilots side window.The ports could indeed be opened and closed "at will". They consist of a circular piece of plexiglass with a plexiglass bar glued across the inside surface to serve as a handle. There is a black rubber seal as well which shows as a black ring in the center of the window.You are correct! They were typically on every window in the troop/cargo compartment on both sides of the aircraft.Here are two images at airliners.net of "FIFI KATE" if you look closely you will see the bar on the inside of the "plugs" when shown aganst a dark background. I was hoping to find some better (more close up) images but these are what I could find on short notice. http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=6382...d=638199&size=Lhttp://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=7262...&next_id=725262Sam

Guest SWA2873

I have been hard at work creating a set of new C-47A texture files for the OY-BPB . I chose this model because of its navigation dome and the paucity of tear drop antennae on the bottom of the fuselage.I decided to start with aircraft 43-15324, Nose Number 44, Tail letter "D", of the 44th TCS. This was the lead ship in serial 17 from Cottesmore for operation NEPTUNE BOSTON. flew a stick from the 505th PIR tp DZ "O" in Normandy.Because I intended to do other IXth troop carrier command aircraft and that there were certain markings in common to all of them (namely the invasion stripes and "star and bar" insignia). I decided to work on a set of "base textures" which could be completed with markings for individual aircraft.Unfortunately I am beginning to encounter some problems which I have illustrated below with some screen shots.C-47A-6.jpgThis first image illustrates a series of light grey projections on the top of the fuselage, the base ring for the navigation dome is also grey. I have no idea where the textures for these are located.Also there is an artifact from the invasion stripes painted around the fusilage which appears along the top seam of the aircraft's cargo door.Perhaps the most vexing problem in the above image is my inability to make the fuselage stripes extend to the vertical stabilizer fillet.C-47-3.jpgThis shows another serious problem. The bottom surface of the left side aileron is solid Olive Drab. It is not reading from the texture file for this aircraft and seems to be importing itself from somewhere else in that file.Ideas regarding these problems, expecially from Jan Visser, are welcome.By the way, to the MAAM-SIM Team; Thanks for the great airplane. i look forward to seeing Tico Belle when she is ready.Sam Kimpton

Guest kimdahl

Hi all!To Sam: the pictures in my last post show my repaints of the DEFAULT FS9 DC-3, that's why the astrodome etc is missing. To Jan: don't worry, I've got plenty of oxygen left, and at the moment I am concentrating on the updated home for the OY-BPB. I know it's a bit off topic but here are a few pictures to illustrate what I am doing. This EKVL is actually an old FS2002 project by Jan Rasmussen which I have been allowed to take over and develop.First the default EKVL which is really a dull place to look at:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106887.jpgThen the improved EKVL, still under construction:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106890.jpgWhile we are in the OT corner I have a little question: I have noticed that the KRDG scenery has a nice fence surrounding the whole airport, and I have been looking all over for a similar fence macro for the EKVL scenery (you can't just walk into a military area in real life!), but I haven't found anything really usable. Could you tell me where to find this fence, please? Perhaps I could get a copy, after all I did supply you with the landing light reflection effect for the OY-BPB, remember?cheers,Kim

Guest Javis

Thanks, Sam, very interesting and peculiar too ! Photo's are great, all clear on that now, thanks again !cheers,Jan

Guest Javis

Very nice,Kim ! The village looks great too ! You'll have to ask Bill Womack about the KRDG fence. Bill is the designer of that wonderful scenery, not me ! ;-) cheers,Jan