Sign in to follow this  
Guest pollard

Gauge Tweaks?

My right primer stays on longer than the left in my R4D....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest pollard

Cheers on the click-spot! The R4D panel now has some recognisable and very user friendly features which make it so much easier to use under pressure. Wonderful! Thanks gentlemen.If the flap call-outs are a problem forget them. I wouldn't want to be the cause of so much grief especially when they were essentially an afterthought anyway. Thanks for considering them though, Fred.Regarding the gear call-outs, there's no change on my system, I'm afraid - I can still barely hear them. BT's call-outs are plainly audible over the din so I'm really not sure where the gremlin is here? How about a file that keeps the gauge tweaks current but excludes any of the sound enhancements (no call-outs at all)? I, for one, would then consider this to have been a very productive outing, I'd be bloody grateful, I'd stop nit-picking, and save you and your hard-working programmer any further R4D hassle! Yeah?Roll on the Avenger!Ian :-sword

Guest kennethg

I installed the gauge update and I have to admit I didn't realize what I was missing. Good job. In fact, it inspires me to write the following:I've been a real world pilot since 1984 and designed 20+ airplanes back in the FS4 days; I'll tell you honestly that MAAM-Sim is just about the only design team I've found that designs airplanes the way I would. Unlike just about every other add-on, I've never been tempted to modify a MAAM-Sim airplane, they all fly and look dead-on accurate. Too many design teams try to do airplanes without really knowing enough about how airplanes fly and how that experience translates into a PC-based flight sim. I can tell MAMM-Sim have access to the real thing; the true feeling of the airplane comes through in all the details.In fact, the only airplanes that I consider to be as good (but not better than) the MAAM-Sim products are all either freeware or payware from another museum. The best of which are the Howard 500 by Milton Shup, et al, and the Avro Shackleton, by The Shackleton Project. By the way, talk about a project! If you thought the care and feeding of 2 P&W R-2600's is bad (which it is, I've worked as an A&P mechanic on the R-1340 of an AT-6), imagine what it's like caring for 4 Rolls Royce Griffons with counter-rotating props!Ken G.

Guest pollard

Thanks for the supportive feedback, Ken. I agree with you on the MAAM quality and that's exactly why I'm asking for these improvements. These fixes may not be essential to the average or casual user perhaps but they're absolutely crucial if you spend as much time using the software as I do. MAAM's R4D-6 has the distinction of being the only FS aircraft to remain on my system. I've never removed it! I would like it to stay that way for as long as possible since it was THE aircraft that really sold me this hobby! FS technology is moving at such a pace now, with so many new innovating developers worthy of the hard-earned cash, it's easy for a product to fall behind. And the day I junk my MAAM products is the day I quit FS and find something else to do. It's really that simple!Thanks again for your very timely and very interesting contribution to this quest!Sir John :-wave

Guest kennethg

Thank you both for your kind words. I really can't say enough good about MAAM planes: MAAM-Sim has given us such wonderful FS9 products, I only think it's fair to acknowledge that quality.

Guest erahmig

Hi Bill,I've been following this thread with interest. Thanks very much for posting the link and your continued support of your excellent product.Are these patches listed anywhere else other than this forum? I don't recall seeing them at www.maam.org.Eric

Guest erahmig

Hi Bill,Great - thanks much :-) .Eric

Guest pollard

Hi,I've recently purchased a new Soundblaster Audigy card and I still can barely hear the gear call-outs which accompanied the 277 gauge set (yes I tested it with the original R4D sound set). Since you will not be including a full set of call-outs with flaps, like those heard in BT, can you please produce a 277 set WITHOUT any call-outs at all?Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian,Sorry, I don't think that's in the cards. I don't believe it would be wise to start putting out custom gauge sets (or other package components) for individual preferences. I think you can see where that could open a real Pandora's box for the team and poor Fred. We do have other fish to fry - or rather, other turkeys to roast ;-)I agree that the call-outs are somewhat quieter than those in BT, but then so are the engines the co-pilot must talk over! I'm not having any problem hearing them, though. Perhaps you have your engine sound slider cranked higher than I do. I tend to keep everything except ATC in the low to mid-range, with ATC high so I can make out what they are saying. Then I can crank up my speaker volume without blowing out the windows. But the sound settings are really a personal preference item, and every user will have to decide what works best for his sound set-up and ears.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest pollard

This isn't a 'custom gauge set', Bill - It's a FIXED and improved gauge set which is available to EVERYONE and NOT JUST ME! and I don't feel in the least bit greedy for asking for it! :( You didn't finish this IMO and that's very disappointing. I now have a barely audible first officer who can't even call out the flaps! If you read the thread you will note that it was a MAAM idea to include these call-outs in the first place. I didn't ask for them? I merely wanted you to implement them properly if you were going to use them! How long would it have taken you to remove them?Well, don't worry, at least you tried. I'll give you that...Ian.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this, Ian. As you say, it's a matter of opinion. I find, and think others will, that the gear call-outs, low volume or not, are an improvement over having none at all. So I would not characterize a gauge set removing them entirely a "fixed and improved" one. We also disagree about what constitutes a "custom gauge set". It does not have to be exclusive to you to be custom. The salient point is that we do not want more than one gauge set. I think our record of responding to user's wishes speaks for itself. But ultimately, it is not soley up to one user to determine when the job is finished. Though I am sorry you are disappointed, I would like to hear from others if they too are disappointed with the latest set. But please,let's not start a bash-fest here.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest pollard

To imply I might 'bash' your products on this forum after all the support I've shown them is one momentus kick in the goolies! Thanks, Bill. I'll trouble you no further.