Sign in to follow this  

CH Yoke - USB Maxed Out

I'm thinking about adding a CH Flight Sim Yoke USB, but I've already maxed out my 4 USB ports with (1) keyboard, (2) CH Pro Pedals USB, (3) digital camera dock, and (4) inkjet printer. Would appreciate your advice on how best to deal with this problem.Some initial ideas I had were to switch my HP 5550 printer from USB to serial cable (I'm sure this would slow the connection but would it affect print quality?), or perhaps disconnecting my Kodak camera dock when not in use (unplugging/plugging USB connections all the time seems unattractive). I think I've seen USB "splitters" which "add" another USB connection, but I also remember a post recently where a simmer had problems with his yoke with this setup.I'm pretty sure others must have already solved this problem....I'd appreciate any suggestions on the easiest way to connect the USB yoke.Thanks, Steve J.

OK, please disregard my post (which in retrospect I probably should have posted on hardware forum.....)I forgot all about having two additional USB ports on the front of my computer...:-doh..so I have room to spare for the yoke!! (just wish I had the cash to spare). Steve J.

Hey Steve,I have two usb1 hubs with for a total of 14 ports. I use a CH yoke and pedals and six go-flight units. My one serial port is used for a homemade trim wheel (An old sewing machine wheel and a hacked joystick makes a great trim wheel). I don't have a printer or other usb devices but I've had no problems to report whatsoever. Usb hubs1 are fairly cheap, there are also usb2 hubs on the market

You can daisy chain usb ports. I think they're suppose to support up to 128 devices per port.Of course, you start to run into problems with bandwidth if you start adding too much to 1 port. for high speed devices like printers, scanners, drives, you shoudl put them on an individual port.serial devices like joysticks and mice, keyboards. you can group onto single ports if you want. if you run into problems you can get addon usb cards and hubs cheap now.

Thanks for the quick reply and the info! Steve J. KHEF