Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakotapaul

Dakota "Tail wheel sit" , engines and props.

Guest dakotapaul

Hello all, my name is Paul and I'm new to this forum. I am a great Dakota-fan and I work on the two Dutch 'DDA' Daks as a volunteer licenced mechanic in my free time. Quite a hobby, I can tell you! Anyway, ever since I fly the MAAM-Daks, I was a little disappointed in the way the tail wheel was mounted. Just like the shock absorber was totally overfilled!! Jan Visser rightfuly corrected this in his OY-BPB-model. Also, most of the Dakota's build had/have the R1890-32 engine with the 'hidden' magnetos. (like the BPB). So most repaints would be more accurate with these engines. The propellor-details made by Jan Visser on the BPB are also excellent! Question:Are there any actions underway to apply these corrections /alterations on the other MAAM-Daks? Would be nice...Regards,Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.It's good to have a detail-oriented man as yourself giving input! I know Jan to be continually improving his work with every version of his model and I know he will read your comments with interest. Meanwhile he's pretty busy with the TBM, I think!But watch out ... he'll have you out with your camera around the DDA ladies before you know it!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest dakotapaul

Hi Mark, Even without the requested improvements, I have a good time flying the Gooney! Don't get me wrong!! I met Jan Visser years ago during one of his visits to our DDA hangar. That was in the time he was working on PH-DDZ for FS2002. And what a great DC-3 that was! The excellent, photo-real panel and side views were impressive. If Jan wants me to do something for him (photo's, whatever)he is most welcome to ask. Also he is welcome to visit again if he wants. (How about repaints of our Dakota's PH-DDZ or PH-PBA, Jan ??) Currently, I'm working on a repaint of PH-MAG, an old Moorman Air Dak that was used in a movie called "DAKOTA" in 1973. The classic film was a flop at the time, but has been re-released recently in Holland and after viewing I was inspired to make the repaint. (My friend/collegue and wellknown repainter Jaap de Baare assisted me). I try to attach a preview picture to this message. (to be continued!) Take care, Paulhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109738.jpg

Guest Railrunner130

Nice job!

Guest Javis

Hadie Paul ( v.d.Berg, toch h

Guest dakotapaul

Yes Jan, "from the Mountain" , that's correct. I understand you are pretty busy with the latest project "Avenger". Quite a difference from the Dak! I will have patience in waiting for DDZ or PBA. Take your time. ;) Meanwhile I've been busy flying around Australia in a Connie and PH-MAG repaint. Movie DAKOTA? Yes, a flop for non-Dakota lovers ofcourse!! Some weeks ago I visited the premiere for this movie in the Film Museum in Amsterdam (invitation for DDA) and even shared some words with Kees Brusse who was present. Pretty cool. He is 80 years old now and living near Perth, AUS. Currently, DAKOTA is running in some movie theaters around Holland. Check the internet (Film Museum) for details. Also, it will be released on DVD this year, I was told. Anecdote on PH-MAG: when we were at Luqa airfield, Malta, back in 1987, to inspect DDZ for ferry, the derelict fuselage in faded "Nigerian Trade Winds" livery was "long time stored" outside at Miaco's facility. (Miaco was then DC-3 maintenance organisation at Malta). On (ex-RAF) airfield Hal Far, some miles away, there were 3 more derelict Daks parked at a Fire Dept. school as practise aircraft !! One lunch break during inspection, we took off with some tools to Hal Far to 'save' 3 control wheels from the cockpits. It turned out later that two of three were indeed burned to ashes... One (C-FITH) was luckily saved and is now in a Malta museum. Upon returning to Luqa, I was still lacking that nice hub cover for my control wheel, so I 'saved' this from ex-PH-MAG!! The assembly is currently still hanging in my livingroom... Many years later we visited a restaurant in Fleet, UK for the purpose of meeting PH-MAG again. The restaurant-owner purchased the hulk from Malta and displayed some major parts in his restaurant. Also the complete cockpit section was there and.... yes, from the LH control wheel there was still a hub cover missing!! How life goes... ;) Take care up there! Paul.

Guest Javis

Hey Paul,Great to see you here! How's Jeroen ? Still in charge of the flightplans ? We've been out of touch for quite a while already.>Yes Jan, "from the Mountain" , that's correct. Heheh, yeah, think *my* name is pretty normal for a country like ours, when you think about it, *your* name is also very common, where the heck did *that* come from then ??? :-cool :-hah >I understand you are pretty busy with the latest project>"Avenger". Quite a difference from the Dak! Yes, we were looking for something smaller, actually our first choice was the Maam's beautiful SNJ but another dev beat us to it..:-8 ( wonder what's keeping them.... ) can't be helped though. The TBM will be great fun too and it's still a truck ! >I will have patience in waiting for DDZ or PBA. Take your>time. ;) >>Meanwhile I've been busy flying around Australia in a Connie>and PH-MAG repaint.Sounds great! Being a designer i don't get to 'fly' that much alas. I bet with the Connie you're talking about John White's (FSDezign) exceptional beautiful L-049 model ? It's a real gem, isn't it, i was working on a L-049/749 model too but when i saw John's masterpiece for the first time i knew it was no use for me to continue. Atleast i could contribute a bit with the Connie panel Hansj

Guest iannel

Hi all. Ian from South Africa here. I have heard about the movie Dakota and have read the reviews, and I'm scratching around frantically to purchase the movie somewhere, but I cannot find it. Can anyone think of a way for me to purchase a copy of the movie? VHS (PAL) or DVD. I normally acquire these things through Amazon, but even they do not have it. Can someone please help? I'm not asking for pirated versions at all, I just want the movie in my possession.Regards, Ian

Guest dakotapaul

To Jan: No, Jeroen left DDA ops since our operator is now "Jet NL" with their own ops. dept. I haven't seen him for a while either. Pitty. Dak Sounds? Yes, funny that you noticed too! I am also very keen on "the right sounds with the right aircraft" and it was surprisingly well done in 'DAKOTA'. Connie? Yes, the FSDzigns L-049. In the early stage of development, I was even one of the Alpha-testers and provided John Howard with some detail-pictures of the Dutch Connie when it was still here at Schiphol. It turned out to be a beauty, indeed. I'm doing the yearly GAAR 'Great Aussie Air Rally' with her. (Check out BluegrassAirlines.com or something).To Ian from South Africa: I don't think you can buy a copy somewhere unless via an internet-collectors auction or something. Also, the video copy I have seen is very much 'compressed', since the film was made in CinemaScope (super wide!) Never seen such a short, fat Dak!! But it seems that later this year, the movie will be re-released on DVD. Hopefully also suitable for (widescreen) TV. When/if I have more details, I will put it on the forum. Take care y'all,Paul

Guest iannel

Thanks Paul, that is pretty much the feedback I'm getting, I just can't understand why the movie isn't available - was it really such a flop? There is surely worse output from the film industry that has been captured on video and dvd. Anyway, thanks for the response, and if possible keep us informed if someone does make the movie available.By the way, I met Henk from the DDA, possibly a colleague of yours, when he received some refresher training with Captain Flippie Vermeulen from Springbok Flying Safaris recently (http://www.springbokflyingsafaris.com) - if you see him, give him my regards - is his DC-3 flying career going well with the DDA?Regards, Ian

Guest dakotapaul

Ian, sorry for VERY late response; I'm not a regular forum visitor... Anyway, last week Henk made his first DDA-flight with PH-DDZ. I'll say hello next time I see him. Rumours has it that a DVD was released of movie DAKOTA, but I scanned the internet and no 'hits'. We'll keep checking... I still plan to upload a 'DAKOTA AIRLINES' repaint for the MAAM DC-3 Cargo version. I will first try to install it on the MAAM C-47 model, since this is better. (tailwheel/engines)All the best.Paul