Sign in to follow this  
Dewey

Briefing Time starting problem

I'm getting acquainted with Briefing Time. What a magnificent piece of work! Thanks to all involved in creating her.Although it appears to me that I'm following the manual exactly for startup, the engines simply will not fire.I shut one down in flight, then restarted it within a minute or so and it fired up. But if I wait for several minutes it won't restart.Also, if I shut down the engines and then come back some minutes later and try to start them, they crank but they won't fire.In addition, if I save a flight with a cold, dead cockpit, following the startup procedures fails to get the engines started.I have fuel pressure in the green, but the engines won't start.Any ideas?Thanks!Dewey

Hi Dewey,The key to starting up the B-25, R4D, or any other complex addon is to load the sim with the MSFS default flight using the default Cessna 172. That way, you're making sure that all default settings are in place. You can then change to the B-25 or R4D in the "Create a Flight" menu, where you choose your airport, time of day, etc.If you want to start from a cold and dark cockpit, load the sim with the MSFS default flight as described above, and press "Fly Now". With the default C172 sitting on the runway in Seattle, shut everything down, except for the Avionics switch (see note below). Save it as a new flight... something like "Default Flight, Cold and Dark", and set this flight as your new default flight by checking the appropriate box. Now, quit the sim and restart.If the sim starts up with another flight (i.e., your new default flight didn't "take"), see this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&mode=full#3591If you follow this procedure and always load the sim as described, you should never have trouble starting the B-25 again. You can even save a flight with the B-25 parked cold and dark at your favorite airport... Just don't make it the default!Best,KenP.S. Why do you leave the Avionics switch on when setting up a default cold and dark flight? Because some planes don't have an avionics switch, and if you turn it off, you won't be able to turn the radio on in those planes.

Hi Dewey,Are you unable to start using the Ctrl + E keys? If you can auto-start, but not start using the full procedure then it's likely that you are doing something wrong. One thing is, be sure you are advancing the mixture levers out of Idle Cut-Off position or the engines will turn but not catch.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

>Hi Dewey,>>Are you unable to start using the Ctrl + E keys? If you can>auto-start, but not start using the full procedure then it's>likely that you are doing something wrong. One thing is, be>sure you are advancing the mixture levers out of Idle Cut-Off>position or the engines will turn but not catch.>>>Bill Rambow>MAAM-SIM> >http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gifHi, Bill. No, I am not able to start using Ctrl + E keys. Same result. Engines turn but don't start.Mixture levers are full rich.I am not starting the sim with the B-25 as the default plane. But once I select the B-25, then shut down the engines, I am unable to restart them (either one, or both).Thanks.Dewey

Hi Dewey,<>Just to be clear, it's not an issue of whether the B-25 is your default. What's important is that the sim is starting up with the MSFS default flight... the default Cessna 172 in Seattle. If it starts up with ANY other flight, particularly any flight using an addon airplane, chances are good that something won't work right.Best,Ken

Ok, Ken. Good information. I am starting with the default Cessna at Seattle, though.Dewey

Well crud, Dewey. I'm sorry that didn't work for you... I was sure that it would. The only other thing that I can think of is to ask whether you've installed the 9.1 update to FS9. It's a real long shot, but my engine starting problems disappeared about the same time that I installed the update, so who knows?Otherwise, have you tried Bill's suggestion to start from the canned MAAM flight that shipped with the B-25?Best,Ken

Bill, I don't believe I saw a cold cockpit start-up flight. Am I missing something?Dewey

Yup.The "Briefing Time at MAAM" is a cold and dark start-up in front of the MAAM hangar. You'l find it in the Flight category "Briefing Time Flights". Give it a shot.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

If you're talking about the one at Reading, the engines are running when I launch that one. ?? The plot thickens.

Ok. This time they engines were not running. I did get them started but had to open the throttle almost full to accomplish it. If I didn't, they wouldn't start. May be something screwy with my system, Bill. You've probably wasted enough of your time on this issue. The software apparently works fine on everyone else's system, so I'm sure it's ok and that either I, or my system, is doing something wrong.Thanks for your help.Dewey

Yes. As I posted to Bill above, I did manage to start the engines from the the canned MAAM flight. But I had to advance the throttle almost full in order for them to start. ???Dewey

Guest arklab

Hi DeweyHave you already solved the starting problem.If so, I would like to know, what the trick is.I have the same problems.Independ what I do, it is not possible to start the engines.Even when I start FS2002 with the Cessan standard flight.Have you some tips for me ?Peter

Guest arklab

Now I know the trick.Independ if you start your flight with the cessna or not, it doesn't matter. Here is the trick which works with me.After all Batteries and fuel pumps are on and the ingnition master button and magneto is on first klick several times the primer and afterwards klick several times (up to 20) the magneto switch (+) for the engine you would like to start even it is already on. Just click it up to 20 times on the (+) sign with the mouse.Then energize and mesh engage.If the engine does not start within 10 seconds, don't panic and repeat all steps. With this procedure your chance to get the engine started is much higher, independend where you are or with what kind of plane you started FS2002.I hope this will work for you too.