Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyFenton

Weird

Guest TonyFenton

I just loaded the R4D package. On every flight, shortly after takeoff, I get these flashing traingualr oblects, that seem to stretch from the horizon, pointing back at the center of the plane. They're visible in all views. This only happens with the R4D package planes. I've tried reloading the package, no difference.Any Clues?Tony Fenton

The only time I've seen that kind of effect, Tony, is when I've had a rogue graphics card driver installed. A change of driver sorted it on both occasions. But it was not particular to the MAAM-SIM planes, for sure.That's as useful as I can be ... others may help further ... but I wonder what spec your computer is? I suppose it is possible that if the aircraft are putting pressure on a lower end system, such graphics glitches might occur during texture loading ... but naaah, that don't seem right, do it? I'd try a change of driver if no one comes up with a better idea.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest TonyFenton

I updated to the latest driver. No difference.I'm running a P4 3.2 with 1G ram, GEForce 6600/256MG so it really shouldn't be pressing me that much.Tony Fenton

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. In vc mode if you press ctrl +shift +enter or the backspace key you can kind of slide across the cockpit and look out of the co-pilot's window and see whether these lines are there then and that may tell you something about where they start or end. If you change planes in flight to a default one and then back again , does that make any difference?Andy.

Guest TonyFenton

If I start with a Maam-sim R4D plane, and wait for the effect to start, and then switch to a default aircraft, the effect continues. If I start in another aircraft, the effect does not start. However, if I then switch to the R4D in flight, after a few moments the effect will start.I've fiddled with every setting I can think of. This looks like a wonderful plane, but I'm getting kind of frustrated with not being able to enjoy it.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. That tells you that it is a problem with the R4D I think, rather than your FS9 itself. Maybe try deleting it and re-installing it?Andy.

Guest TonyFenton

Tried deleting and reloading. No luck. Thought I was ok for a minute, but then it popped up again.Thanks for the help.Is anyone from MAAM-sim reading this?Tony

I'm on the team, Tony, and can assure you that others are reading this, yes. They're probably scratching their heads very hard right now, which is why you have no other answers. In hundreds of hours of beta testing and many hours since on these planes, we have never come across this phenomenon. This says to me it must be something particular to your own system and the way it is relating to these model files or textures; but it's hard to know where to start with this if you are quite sure that your graphics equipment is all in order, your settings are appropriate and this is only happening for you with the MAAM-SIM planes.We'll keep thinking ... have you, by the way, tried changing your screen resolution within the sim? On some rigs and in some circumstances, particular configurations can do funny things. If you are running 1280x960 now, for example, try 1024x768 and see whether the effect persists. Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. Are the other MAAM SIM planes ok? You only mention the R4-D.Are you running a photo real type scenery? and do you have FS9 or FS2K2? Andy.

Guest TonyFenton

OK, knocking the screen resolution down to 1024x768 from 1280x1024 seems to have gotten rid of the problem. I didn't have time for a real long flight to test it, but it hadn't shown up after about 20 min, which is certainly alot longer without the problem then before. To answer some of the other questions, It happens for all the planes in the MAAM-SIM R4D/DC-3 package. I don't have BT. I do use some photo scenery, but I've tested in area's with and without and it didn't have any effect. I can't tell you for sure that all my other settings are right, but it's only with these planes that a problem is showing up.Loosing the the screen resolution isn't an ideal solution, but it sounds like it may have to do.Thanks.Tony

Glad we're getting somewhere, Tony.When I had a similar 'resolution' problem; in my case, it was panels stretching out off the screen, including those of some default planes, the problem disappeared when I changed resolution. However (and perhaps like you) I wasn't totally satisfied with that solution, and experimented further. I found that by rolling back my graphics driver to the previous version, I was able to use the higher res once more.I have since further upgraded my driver, skipping the rogue edition. So it may just be an unfortunate combination of rig and driver right now that is giving you headaches. Perhaps, try a rollback if you are keen to maintain your higher res, now that we are closing in on the problem.We may never know why, but perhaps now we know how ;)Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest TonyFenton

I owe you guys an apology. After some renewd problems I did some poking around inside the case immediately afterward. I discovered that the fan on my vid card had frozen up. What I was seeing was what happens when your vid card gets very very hot. Why it only showed up with your plane, I don't have a clue.So I got that worked out, and know everything is fine. You've made a wonderful aircraft, that I'm sure will give me many hours of enjoyment. (With a C-47 soon, Right? ;) )Thanks for all your help.Tony

Hi Tony,Well, I'm glad you found the problem. It just goes to show that no matter what sort of knowledge and experience base you have, computers have a way of throwing something completely new at you every once in a while, just to demonstrate who's smarter. Maybe our planes give the card more of a workout than others, as they are very complex models. Who knows? *:-*Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org