Sign in to follow this  
rambow

please fix fssound.dll!

Hi Jeremy,Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I just returned from the U.S. Grand Prix. (Don't get me started on the Michelin fiasco!)There is no fix for the FSSound.dll issue, per se. There is really nothing wrong with the FSSound.dll file, except that FS2004 just does not recognize it and throws up a false flag. You can either say Yes to allow it to load when you start FS2004 and this warning appears, or follow the directions in the document called "fs9cfgtweak.txt" prepared by Ian Pearson. This will tell you how to edit your FS9.cfg to get rid of the warning forever. Perhaps that is the "fix" you are talking about. This doc is in your FS2004/Aircraft/B-25J Briefing Time/Documents folder. FSSound.dll is absolutely required and must be allowed to load, otherwise your gauges will not appear.This issue is discussed at length in the User's Manual of both 'Briefing Time' and the R4D/DC-3/C-47 CD. It came about when the author of this utility suddenly ceased supporting it after releasing a beta version for FS2004. Future MAAM-SIM releases will not use this file to provide embedded gauge sounds.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest kennethg

>>>Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I just returned from the U.S. Grand Prix. (Don't get me started on the Michelin fiasco!)<<

Guest IanP

Some of us have been sitting around just waiting for comments from Bill defending Ferrari against all-comers... :-hahNope, no-one came out of that farce looking good, but once again it proved that politics is more important than racing in F1. Even now it isn't a freight train from start to finish, it's still a waste of space as a motorsport. I certainly wouldn't want to be the promoter next year in the US and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Indy was the race that was dropped from the schedule.Back to the topic in hand I seem to remember that an initial beta of an update to FSSound for FS2004 was mooted at one point - did the developer give up entirely?Cheers,Ian P.

I will resist the temptation to comment on F1 - hard as it is for me.Yes, sadly, the developer of FSSound.dll dropped out and left us hanging. Future releases will not rely on the utility to produce gauge sounds.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest loveflight

please fix fssound.dll download link!

Guest dranreb

>I will resist the temptation to comment on F1 - hard as it is>for me.>>Yes, sadly, the developer of FSSound.dll dropped out and left>us hanging. Future releases will not rely on the utility to>produce gauge sounds.>>Bill Rambow>MAAM-SIM> >http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gifThis must be the reason why the link given in an earlier post in order to load the last version of FSSound.dll ends up on an ERROR page ?B Blanchi

Guest bobsk8

Paste this line in your FS9 cfg file . It will get rid of the false warning....[OLDMODULES]FSsound.dll=1

Ok... a few things here:First of all, the above suggestion (adding FSsound.dll=1 to fs9.cfg) does nothing to remedy the problem.Secondly, if one does not have posession of the particular aircraft talked about in the title post of this thread (some sort of B-25?), that person would obviously not have access to the "fs9cfgtweak.txt" file, and thusly has no access to the information contained therein. So the entire thread here does absolutely nothing but frustrate those who don't have the aircraft downloaded or installed.Thirdly, this happens all too often in these forums... people giving lengthy statements about how to fix something without geting to the point. Why refer everyone to a specialized document that many people don't have access to when you can post at least the basics of the fix in the thread?? It blows me away every time, and it happens ALL THE TIME. Just post the #### fix and be done with it, instead of sending people, whom are already frustrated with whatever issue they need a fix for, on a wild goose chase.I have tried searching on not only the AVSIM File Database and the Flightsim Database, but also on Google for the string "fs9cfgtweak.txt". Nothing comes back from the first two, and only this thread comes back on Google. So this is obviously a hard-to-find file.Come on now... use your heads when you post, people! Talk about frustrating...Baffled,SK

Guest Hawk19

I'm not sure what the big deal is about trying to fix this. I have had the error pop up ever since I first installed the plane but, always just click yes and go on flying. It does'nt hurt one thing. I could see the fuss if it caused problems in the sim but, I haven't seen any trouble what-so-ever. Just click yes and go flying. My 2 cents. :)Hawk

Hi Steve,The whole point is, there is no fix and no real problem. The tweak.txt simply explains how to go about editing the fs9.cfg to eliminate the false flag thrown up by FS9. As Hawk points out, you don't even need to bother with it and can just say Yes to the flag."Some sort of B-25"? OK, I suppose it's possible for you to own the R4D and never have heard of 'Briefing Time'. You do own the Douglas, I trust? Look in its aircraft folder and you'll find the "hard to find file" you seek.But I'll make it even easier for you. Here is a link to download it... http://www.avsim.com/~maamdev/fs9cfgtweak.txtYou are frustrated? Me too. As the guy who writes the docs for the packages, it's frustrating when people don't read them...The "read1st.txt" says, "Ian Pearson has written, and Fred Banting has edited, instructions, originally for the team's B-25J 'Briefing Time' package and these can be found in the FS9 R4D's aircraft folder. It's called 'fs9cfgtweak.txt'."The R4D's User Manual, Known Issues section says, "If you do not want to cope with this flag and having to click on Yes each time FS9 starts, there is a way to get rid of it. Ian Pearson has written instructions and these can be found in the Aircraft/R4D folder in 'fs9cfgtweak.txt'." Even the installer refers you to these. Come on, Baffled SK, use your eyes! ;-) Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Forgive me display of frustration in my previous post... I will explain why I posted what I did, as it's obvious that not too many people out here using forums on the internet have a clear view of the big picture:The fact is, I don't even have a clue what R4D is. Never even heard of it.These forums, as well as almost every other on the internet, are spidered by search engines. This is part of the magic of the internet - you can find all sorts of specialized and in-depth information through the use of search engines because they spider specialized forums, where all sorts of otherwise hard-to-find information exists.Unfortunately, that magic breaks down sometimes because many of the people who post in forums assume that they are only helping the handful of people who are posting in the thread. But fact is, this couldn't be farther from the truth.Anywhere from hundreds to millions of people in the world benefit from that information as well! This is why it is important that people keep that in mind when they post in any type of forum, anywhere on the net.I found this thread by using Google. I am a member of the AVSIM forums and use them all the time, but it was only by chance that I ended up back here when searching for the remedy to my problem.Now, as for the issue of not understanding why this error window popping up every single little god forsaken time I start up FS9 is a "problem":People whom have extensively customized their installations of FS9 can attest to the fact that it can take 4-EVER for the app to load, even on the fastest, most well-equipped of machines, provided you have a completely customized WORLD.Now, I spend plenty of time in front of my computer, so the last thing I am interested in doing is sitting and staring into an FS9 splash screen for 2-3 minutes while it gets itself all loaded into memory. So I want to click the icon and then walk away and forget about it for a little while, finding something constructive to do with my time until I'm ready to come back and use it.But it seems that every time I start it, I have to jump back to my seat immediately after starting to get up because I forget I have to wait for some stupid, pointless error window, which shouldn't even be there in the first place, to pop up so I can click it. It gets frustrating. 'Makes you just want to rip that little procedure right out of the OS if that's what it takes!So that is precisely why it is a "problem" for me.Thanks for the links to the textfile. I will check it out. And you can feel good about the fact that in posting that link, you will pe helping hundreds or thousands of people for years to come!!All BesteSK

Hi Steve,Although we certainly don't mind helping others out with their problems, this is first and foremost a support forum for the customers of our products. So it follows that the information we impart here, most of it in response to questions from those customers, will always be in that context, and we make no apologies for that. Pardon our parochial view of things, but the Big Picture is not what we are trying to address. That's what the general forums are for, and we try to kindly direct people to the right sources when they occasionally stumble in here with a non-MAAM-SIM related question.It sounds to me as if your frustration with the FSSound.dll issue should have been aimed at the developers who provided it to you without any instructions to alleviate the annoying false flag. Obviously, in your case, that was not MAAM-SIM. Did you try approaching them? Since you have never heard of either 'Briefing Time' or the R4D, both of which won 5-Star Reviews and Gold Medals here at Avsim, I invite you to take a look. Unless you're one of those guys who flies nothing that doesn't have a blowtorch attached, I think you will find them well worth a look. http://www.maam.org/flightsim/PACKAGES/PACKAGES.htmBill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest Rimmer

add this line to the end of FS9.cfg[Oldmodules]FSSound.dll=1 Also move the fssound.dll from the modules folder into the main Fs9 root folder.

Guest phaedrus67

SK,If you owned the product being discussed in this forum, you would have the doccument. This is, after all, a forum for the support of MAAM aircraft.

I understood the tweak to suggest adding 2 lines, not 1. They are:[oldmodules]fssound.dll=1It said to place them at the bottom of the cfg file.I did put those into the cfg file, saved and exited, and it did not stop the error dialog popup.Has it worked ok for others, or is there something wrong with those lines?Thanks.Dewey