Sign in to follow this  
Guest alymcleod

Engine damage?

Guest alymcleod

Hi all,Nice to get back into the driving seat again after a long lay-off concentrating on my RC hobby. I have both the DC 3 and the B 25 AND I am still thrilled by them, I salute you.Just a qick question for the team. I took off the other day and forgot to open the cowl flaps. The motors got pretty hot but they just appeared to run as normal. Is engine damage modelled into the DC 3 or the B 25 ? If not, will the next ones have such a luxury?It is modelled into the NAMC YS11 and works really well. If you forget to trim the fuel the engine overheats and fails. Just something else to keep the pilot on his/her toes !

Guest saittam01

Hello from Germany,related to this topic, I encountered a strange behaviour of my DC 3:In the FS menu the options concerning failures are all set to cero, in consequence no defects should occur.But: After flying the DC3 for some hours, suddenly the left engine starts to fail (fuel pressure), I found no way to "repair" the problem. Yesterday, while flying from Dublin to Reykiavik, first the left, then the right engine failed, not other way then "landing" middle in the Atlantic.Is this one of the "easter eggs" mentioned in the documentation? Are there any remedies to solve the problem?Very best regards from Germany,Matthias

Probably a stupid question, but you did switch fuel tanks appropriately, did you? With a max of 800 gallons, you should have enough for around eight hours or more.No, sudden death of your powerplants is not an "Easter Egg", although you'd better hope you're over Easter Island if it happens.The other thing that occurs to me is that flying north like that, you may well have flown into subzero temperatures. What was your flight level? What was the Outside Temperature Gauge reading? If it was seriously below zero, did you use carb heat? If not, that - and possible incorrect mixture settings - could cause your failures.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Hi Mathias,I'm curious as to what "easter egg" reference you found in the documentation? You see, I wrote all the docs for the package and don't recall mentioning any easter eggs.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest saittam01

Hello Bill,in the documentation I found the follwing hint concerning possible "easter eggs":EFFECTS Jan Rosenberg has created a number of remarkable custom special effects for the R4D and DC-3. We'll let you discover them yourself, Easter Eggs, if you will, with one exception. This one must be initiated by a key command, namely the "i" key, which is the FS default smoke command.Perhaps my understanding of this sentence is incorrect???Very best regards,Matthias

Guest saittam01

Hello Mark,thank You for Your comment/information/hint. I was flying at approx. 8000 feet, the weather was fine, but I did not check the outside temperature.The fuel quantity was more than sufficient.To be honest, I did not close the cowl flaps!The mixture was set to auto lean, the carb. heating was not set.Any further hint? Does the position of the cowl flaps have influence on the engines?Very best regards,Matthias

>Any further hint? Does the position of the cowl flaps have>influence on the engines?In the real world, if you flew with your cowl flaps open, you would break the hydraulics. Not a good thing. They should only be open when taxiing, then set to trail or close depending on flight mode. See the checklist!I believe they will cause some drag in our simulated model - I've forgotten, frankly, as I never fly with them open - but they won't fall to pieces! One day ...If you did, indeed, have adequate fuel, then it does sound to be either a mixture or carb heat issue. Hard to tell as we don't know what your OAT was. Why not refly the trip in the same conditions, to test this out?!Sorry not to be of more help. Others may comment.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Hi Matthias,It's not your understanding, but my memory that is faulty, obviously. But I was thinking of the flight model, gauges, and panels. These are the only things which can affect aircraft performance. In FS, effects are visual, and sometimes audio features, but do not and can not by themselves alter the actual operation of the aircraft. The "Easter Eggs" I was referring to are things like the tire marks on the runway at touchdown, the belly-landing sparks, exhaust flashes, and so on.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org