Sign in to follow this  
Guest kimdahl

A little sound question

Guest kimdahl

Hi I have recently made a repaint of the AlphaSim PBY, and in order to get a good sound for this bird, I aliased the sound to the MAAM R4D. But I was a little disappointed to notice that there is no splash sound when you land on water. This of course affects the XC-47C as well.I then tried aliasing the sound to Bill Lyons' Sikorsky S43 and voila: splash sound on the water! I looked at the sound.cfg's and noticed two extra entries in the sound.cfg of the S43:[GROUND_ROLL2]filename=xwaterloopflags=8minimum_volume=6300maximum_volume=8300minimum_rate=0.4maximum_rate=0.4viewpoint=1link=GROUND_ROLL3[GROUND_ROLL3]filename=xwaterloopflags=8minimum_rate=0.4maximum_rate=0.4minimum_volume=6300maximum_volume=8300viewpoint=2I copied these entries to the MAAM R4D sound.cfg and expected to be able to hear the xwaterloop sound. But nothing had changed, and now I am a bit confused. How do I get this to work?

Hi Kim,Actually, the XC-47 has it's own sound folder and does not use the R4D's. It does have the initial splash sound when you touch down, but what is missing is the sound of the water flowing past the floats when you are moving on the sea -- the xwaterloop.wav. An oversight on my part, and surprsingly, one never mentioned by anyone before. But after playing around with it, I think it ceratainly should be added.Since that sound is a FS default one, all it takes is a modification of the XC-47's sound.cfg, but a bit differently than what you attempted. Here is a new sound.cfg to replace the original XC-47's...http://www.avsim.com/~maamdev/XC47sound.zipOnce the new sound.cfg is in place, just alias your Cat to the XC-47 and enjoy the sound of moving water. Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest kimdahl

Hi BillThanks for your fast reaction! But I will have to correct you about the XC-47 having its own sound folder :-(Well, that may be true for the version included on the new installation CD's, BUT the downloadable version just aliases to the R4D sound. It's true, I have just redownloaded the maamxc47.zip file in order to check it. So I suggest that you add a little XC-47 sound fix package to the download list :-)GreetingsKim

Guest kimdahl

Hi again!I have tested the new sound.cfg and it works!! It seems that the only small error I made in my first attempt was the missing link from the GROUND_ROLL1 to the GROUND_ROLL2 entry :-)I have added the same section to the sound.cfg of my modified standard DC-3 sounds, so now I have two great sound sets that both work on water!I hope you don't get angry about this, but I just have to show you my Cats, although they are not made by MAAM SIM. AlphaSim's model maker Carl Edwards has very kindly modified their PBY model with RDAF radar dome, antennas and fuel dump pipes. This special model is (hopefully) going to be used in a custom made flightsim setup at the Danish National Museum of Science and Technology in Elsinore. The L-861 is at display there, along with OY-BPB's 'sister', the former K-681.http://www.myimagehub.com/userfiles/kimdah...a%20L-861_4.jpghttp://www.myimagehub.com/userfiles/kimdah...a%20L-866_5.jpgThey don't have the fantastic luxury of a complete virtual cabin like the R4D, but they are fun to fly :-)Happy landings (now with splash sound)Kim

Pretty Kittys, Kim! :-) We had a PBY at this year's WW2 Weekend and she too was a beauty. That Cat's private owner also has a Spitfire -the lucky so and so!Hmm... For some reason my XC-47 here has it's own sounds, so I jumped to a false conclusion. But anyway, all folks have to do to have the new water sounds in the big floatie is copy the R4D Sound folder into the XC-47 then install the new sound.cfg, but I'll consider putting together a new sound enhancement. Good luck with the museum. One word of caution - please don't distribute any of the MAAM-SIM files, including sounds, with your planes. That would violate our copyright, as I'm sure you understand. Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest kimdahl

Hi BillYou don't need do worry about the distribtuion of any MAAM SIM files, at the moment this special PBY is not meant to be distributed at all! Since it is a modified payware model, it would take some kind of control system over at AlphaSim to make sure that only rightful owners of the original model can use it. Just like it is with some of your own addon models.So the only part that COULD be distributed would be my own textures, and they wouldn't fit the payware model 100% because of changes in the texture mapping plus the added radar.If I should choose to distribute the repaint however, I would of course advise the users to make the little sound.cfg change in their defalut DC-3 sound.cfg. It won't hurt the operation of the DC-3. And instead of copying the whole R4D sound folder to the XC-47, you could add the same changes to the R4D sound.cfg and still just alias the XC-47 to that.GreetingsKim

<>If I recall, this was discussed at the time of compiling the XC-47C, Bill, but probably not adequately. The conclusion was that water sounds would not be easily heard in an aircraft the size of the XC-47C, particuarly given the proximity of the engines to the cockpit. Thus it was a no-brainer to alias the R4D-6 sounds rather than have to double up on files.That might have been private talk at the time, however, as I find no reference to it in our developer notes from back then! In any case, I'm sure many will enjoy your revised sound file.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href='http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html' target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]