Sign in to follow this  
Guest mulligandog

R4D ground steering

Guest mulligandog

I have FS2004 version. I cannot turn the airplane on the ground. I have auto-rudder enabled and tail wheel lock off (I have tried it in both positions). Auto-pilot is off, however, it seems I can turn the airplane sometimes with auto-pilot ON.Bob

Guest mulligandog

CH yoke (USB). I have rudder pedals but have not connected them yet. Differential throttle does seem to work, but after using it my CH throttle on the yoke moves only one or other of the throttles. In other words, directional control is very iffy with throttles. I have tried other airplanes, i.e., the Briefing Time B-25 and it works fine. I have also tried other tail-dragger airplanes without a problem.Bob

BobHave you read the manual thoroughly about the normal and 'easy' steering optional files?Anyway, get those rudder pedals connected! They'll change your life!MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest mulligandog

Mark...I have used the rudder pedals with the previous version of the R4D with FS2002 so I am familiar with them. I don't think "easy steering" will help. The plane reacts as if the autopilot were engaged. In fact with the autopilot engaged I can turn the plane? I have used throttle steering to get into the air and, once there, everything works normally including the autopilot when engaged.Thanks for the help, Guys. I will connect the rudder pedals in the next day or two and see if I can steer with them and differential brakes. This is the new version of R4D being used on a new computer. I just wanted to do a quick and dirty flight so see if I had all control values assigned properly. Once I get everything sorted out that is how I will fly anyhow. I will use the autopilot only for long enroute legs and will hand fly approaches, etc. with full controls, including separate rudder and ailerons.Bob

Hi Bob,Don't be fooled by a comparison with the old R4D, which was originally designed for FS98 and updated through FS2002, and the current G-Max R4D/DC-3/C-47. This is a completely different aircraft from the ground up. Absolutely everything is new and different, nothing, not a single file, having been re-used or upgraded from the old. That was intentional to avoid any claims by a former member of the team who got the boot.The point I'm trying to make is that you can not assume that just because the old R4D ground-steered one way for you that the new one will do the same. Rob Young's new flight model, including ground handling characteristics, is much more accurate than the old, which is to say taxiing is much more difficult, just like it is in the real DC-3. The old R4D did not have a free-castoring, or lockable tail-wheel. The new one does. It is essential, as Mark points out, that you read the manual on steering, and watch the instructional video on the subject, as well. Do not rely on your experience with the old bird or other taildraggers, most of which do not correctly model the peculiarities of trundling one around terra firma. The rudder alone will NOT steer the airplane, until you are well into the takeoff roll with sufficient air flow past the rudder.As for differential power, you can accomplish this with the mouse in the 2-D panel by operating the throttle levers individually. Differential braking can be done, even without pedals, by using the F11 and F12 keys.The easy steering option Mark spoke of is an alternate aircraft.cfg that allows a steerable tail wheel, like the old R4D had. It's unrealistic, but some people like it easy rather than real, so we provided this option. You won't know if this will make a difference unless and until you try it.Having said all this, if you are correct that it seems like the autopilot is interferring, perhaps something is engaging it without you being aware of it. We have heard instances of other programs, such as comms utilities used in ATC multi-flying, doing just this by engaging the Z key. Check out that possibility. You can turn the sensitivity wheels of the Sperry down to zero to see if this has any effect, or even remark it out of the panel.cfg to see if this makes any difference.Good luck and keep us apprised of your findings. I guarantee there is nothing wrong with the plane. Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org