Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tygershark

Texture troublw with the DC 3 passenger model

Guest Tygershark

Goodday.Some time ago i discovered the joy of repainting a existing plane, withs soon resulted in my first upload. Happy that i was doing something back for the FS community i started my second repaint, but now i have run into a problem. One of the things i have to do is put the name Duggy between the gearbays on the underside of the wing. However, i soon discovered that the textures of the left and right wing don't join up in the middel, but instead that a large portion of the left wing is mirrored to the right side. So putting the name Duggy on the underside is out of the question at this momentWould it be possible to make a update of the DC3 passenger model so the get rid of this problem ? I know it's nothing really serious as most of the time there is nothing written between the gearbays, but i wouldn't like to leave the name Duggy out as it makes the repaint less accurate. And the whole rightside texture is allready there so that won't be a problem.Greetings, Albert Vermeule.

Guest Javis

Hi Albert,Sorry bout the late reply, been very busy lately. Good thing is that it's a positive reply. Are you stuck with the UAL passenger model to apply your repaint to or can you live with the BPB model ? It's also a passenger model but with a bit less luxurious cabin. I'd say with a plane called 'Duggy' that should'nt be much of a problem, should it? :-)I sure know how annoying it can be if you find something not to be possible for a repaint because of awkward texture mapping. I have to admit that my earlier DC-3 models are also burdened with that at some places. But'i've been a good boy and changed that for the better on later iterations starting with the OY-BPB model. With this model you'll find it will be possible to properly add a name to the bottom mid wing segment between the engine nacelles.Still one little snag though. I have added these 'airflow conductors' ( much obliged if someone can tell me the proper name ) to the bottom midwing segment and these are mapped with the same texture that is used for this segment. Depending on how big 'Duggy' will have to appear and the position of it there is change of some crossing over. I suggest you do some testing first.Be adviced that for the starboard part of the midwing segment you'll have to mirror the part of the name and for the port segment ( at the top of the h_surf bitmap )the part needs to be mirrored horizontally AND vertically. If you do not have the BPB model you can download it from the Avsim lib right here. Good luck ! Cheers,Jan

Guest Tygershark

Hi Jan.Well, where one month later and i think my second repaint "Duggy" is ready to be uploaded. I have tried the other models, but the "airflow conductors" were still giving me trouble with mismatching textures so i decided to stick to the passenger model as i found it best matches the real Duggy.All i now have to do is get permmision to upload the textures. I have allready mailed with the owner and he seem to be positive about it, but i think he wants it all down on paper. It's a big fuss for just a few textures, but as this is a airplane with a very high profile, i didn't think it was a good idea to upload them and than hope the owner wouldn't be anger when he found out that someone has used his artwork without permission.Greetings, Albert

Guest wji

I repainted the included cargo/whitetop paintkit and didn't note any anomalies. Screens are here. Hope this helps.

Guest Tygershark

Hi Bill.The Anomalie isn't a problem with most liveries because they don't have any markings between the engines. I myself have 4 more paintjobs on my wishlist where there will be no trouble at all. But Duggy has his name on the underside right between the engines and because part of the leftwing is mirrored to the right and all four flaps share the same texture there is just no way to get it right. For photo's of Duggy look at http://www.duggy.comSee you, Albert

AlbertJust a heads-up, and please forgive me for raising it if you have covered this with the owner - but I believe he is a little fussy about his Duggy being 'represented' in any way beyond his control. All to do with market image, etc., I guess. This is not to say he would not approve your repaint, I have no idea on that, but if you have not been in touch with him, perhaps that might be pertinent.As I say, ignore me if I'm out of line here.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest Tygershark

Hi Mark.Thanks for the warning, even do i allready have been in contact with Mr. Carley. Seemed like a good idea when i started this repaint and it turned out he's indeed very protective about his creation. I explained to him what my intensions were and what i can and can

Hmmm.You're not the first to consider the paint, which is how I know all this. Mr. Carley I do not know.What sort of claims was he concerned about? Did he give you some sort of prospective agreement? I've just reread your earlier post that you have been in touch - even before my suggestion that you did, sorry, I should read more carefully - but you don't say specifically what he sought.Clearly, the contents of any such agreement are the issue here. If it were between you and him only, then that's your call; but bearing in mind that MAAM-SIM aircraft are SOLD in the first place in support of a museum that is nothing to do with Mr. Carley, you need to be clear that there is nothing in any agreement that would trip anybody up here. We wouldn't want him coming back at MAAM for any reason. I am playing devil's advocate here, as from what I understand of him he is most unlikely to do such a thing, but since he was the one to raise this in the first place, it just needs clarification, I think.If you do take it further, Albert, I would only recommend that you get a copy of any intended agreement off to Bill Rambow for review before you sign anything. Just in case there's anything we'd need to comment on.All this for a yellow DC-3 .... *:-* . Nice smile, though, and a great flag carrier for the ongoing life of the Gooney.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]