Sign in to follow this  
Guest DC3 Pilot

Celestial navigation

Guest navigatre

I found this information highly interesting since I have spent nearly 10 years navigating C-124 and C-141 aircraft around the world. I had no idea one could simulate this in Flightsim. I am eager to check out the files for adding this enhancement to my sim.Now, if someone could direct me to some files that would allow the background HF radio traffic that used to fill the airwaves as one trudged along thru the sky for hours add-infinum- I recall listening to numerous PIREP and position reporting by anyone out there on the freq. In addition; I can still hear those "SKYKING" messages that would interrupt all normal traffic. Is anyone out there capable of putting this stuff together? I can help with the terminology.As a final note - One did not have to "see" the horizon to shoot a celestial shot from an aircraft; i.e., the "Bubble" had to be held on the crosshairs (which displayed a "horizon" line) at all times during the 2 minute shot. Why 2 minutes? All aircraft fly a sine wave that took 2 minutes to complete. It didn't matter on which whole minute you started the shot - just run the full two minutes to average out the sine wave. The Connies were the worst due to the wobble of the aircraft.Navigatre

Guest DC3 Pilot

Hi group,I downloaded Norbert Pacher's "Real Stars" . . . Wow! Now for some questions :-)I set NumStars = 1600 figuring it would help clear the background and make identifying the 57 navigation stars easier. What I find is that all the stars are of almost the same magnitude, and that makes it hard to identify the constellations. For example, if I'm in Spot mode, and moving, the lesser magnitude stars are blurred into non-existence and I can see Orion perfectly. But when I stop moving and let all the stars come to full intensity, it's really hard to distinguish Orion because everything in the neighborhood is the same magnitude. Hmmmmm.I'm wondering if I set the NumStars setting even lower . . . say to 500 . . . if that would make constellations easier to identify and the nav stars easier to find? Or maybe its the other way around? Anyone using this program have ideas?Best,Gary

Guest altack

Hi Guys,thanks to Ebay, I recently got a hold on a genuine Mk IX bubble sextant, would it be possible to find somewhere the scan of the official manual ? I confess I want to try it flying an airbus 320 8-))) To Gary here is a quote of the "autostar" add-on readme:

Guest DC3 Pilot

Altack,Thanks for the info. But I'm a little confused. The program I used to replace the stock FS2004 stars was Norbert Pacher's "Real Stars" add-on. You referred to an add-on called "autostar." Where can I find that program to download and try out? I agree that the FS2004 magnitudes aren't very helpful, but the Pacher add-on didn't really address that issue, just added a lot more stars with (per my earlier post) not enough variation in magnitude to enable you to easily pick out the constellations.Best,Gary

Guest altack

Hi Gary,a google search with autostar and FS2004 will give you plenty of sources. The point about the magnitude is that, do to internal design, there is no way to properly display it...That's what I understand from the quoted readme file.Regards,altack