Sign in to follow this  
Guest SPOFF

Ernest K. Gann

Guest SPOFF

I'll probably get my head handed to me for posting this on a forum which may not be....the Correct Forum. Oh well. For those of you who may not know who Ernest Gann was. An 18,000 hour RW Pilot who was also an Author of many books on avaition. He flew in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Started out in DC2s, then DC3s, C-87s, then DC4s, flying for the "Lines", and for the "Air Transport Service" during WWII.. Some of the planes he flew....in his words.."Had Gremlins". They sometimes had "problems" that the mechanics and engineers could not explain. He worked around the problems and survived, by shear flying skill and determination.Ganns books prompted me to buy the MAAM DC3/R4D. I already had the B-25. I knew the MAAM planes had "Gremlins". I read this forum. I have No Regrets. I love a challenge.The Gann books are: "Fate Is The Hunter", and, "A Hostage To Fortune". The latter is his autobiography. They are both back in print in paperback. I count 19 books. Gann died a number of years ago. A number of his books made it to the movies, at least one with John Wayne. "Island in the Sky"??.."The High and The Mighty"?? SPOFF

Glad you've found Gann The Man, Spoff. Yes, he's an icon to those who take the DC-3 seriously; how could he not be? His tales are legendary, and his storytelling style captivating.If you ever get to the point of serious flying with your DC-3 and want to hang out with like minds, you should consider joining up with DC-3 Airways. We have a number of Gann's flights within our routes collection.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]