Sign in to follow this  

MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick, "out of control"

Thanks to the help of many of you, I have isolated my FS handling problems to a very hyperactive Joystick. The thing is so sensitive, that merely placing a hand on the stick can cause the Cessna to dive or stall. I have exhausted all settings adjustments in FS to try to calm the thing down. Similarly I am just not computer savee enough to attempt the cut and paste of FSUIPC.New computer 2.4 P4 running XP home. Microsoft has no patch or text in knowledge based reference. The Sidewinder manual suggests reading the Sidewinder software pack. Well? Where would I find it?On Windows 98, the Sidewinder program parked an Icon in the task bar.There is none on XP. I can't find the software in my Accessories programs. It is stealth.Anyone having any luck using Precision 2 with XP? Any suggestions on how to tame this control? If not, is it time for me to graduate to a "force" stick, or any other recommendations?

Guest WorkingStiff

>>Similarly I am just not computer savee enough to attempt the cut and paste of FSUIPC.<

Guest Vulcho

WorkingStiff,your last sentence wasn't necessary IMHO. Overall you made a good point but you added a little too much.As per your problem:Yes, you do need to learn how to install FSUIPC.D/L the file, unzip, get the FSUIPC.dll and drag it into your fs/MODULES folder.Once you start FS you will see a new menu along with all the others while in game play. It will read FSUIPC. Open, find the joystick tab, configure and play.The SW files you can find by going to:Start->Settings->Control Panel->Game ControllersIf you are still confused just ask and I'll elaborate.ERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

Guest WorkingStiff

>>WorkingStiff,your last sentence wasn't necessary IMHO. Overall you made a good point but you added a little too much.<http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8If he simply followed the detailed instructions given by a number of very helpful posters - instead of lamenting his inability to simply move a file into a folder - his problem would have been solved two days ago.

Gentlemen. Many apologies that my computer skills fail to reach your levels of expectations. Yes I am a klutz on using a PC. I did little better during my college COBOL, Basic and Fortran classes.I merely expected that I Microsoft operating system, using a Microsoft game controller device, should be able to successfully operate a Microsoft produced FS software.I was finally able to contact HP technical support, and they suggest that I have a driver problem, with the issue being conflict between the Sidewinder and XP. So I'll direct my further inquiry to Microsoft, since I can't find a suitable driver at their site.I do intend to strive to acquire the PC skills to enable me to do the cut and paste and other fruitful skills to allow me to fly with the rest of you, but please accept that years ago when I took my first solo cross country flight in a Cessna 150, I did not go to the airport and claim that I was ready to drive a 707.Thanks again for your tolerance and efforts

Boonedoggle65,I have a computer similar to yours and just purchased and installed a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick with no problem at all. I have Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. I have FS2002 installed with no third party software at all, just the original install. All I did with the joystick is plug it in (I did not install the drivers from the CD-that's a non-no) and it was automatically recognized and calibrated. I then started FS2002 and found that it had also automatically recognized it and assigned the default settings per the "Before You Fly" manual. The joystick works perfectly and is not overly sensitive imho.So...how does this help with your problem? Well..it tells you that there is no incompatibility between the Precision 2 joystick and XP Home SP1 (there IS an incompatibility with XP Pro per Microsoft's Sidewinder web site). This should give you a clue as to where to look and where not to look for solutions.Good luck!

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi,just to let you know that it also runs fine with XP Pro and XP Pro SP1 with no extra driver installation. Straight out the box. I would recommand to plug the joy to a friend computer and check if there is still a problem. It would at lest ensure it is not a hardware failure of the Joystick, or an USB port failure on your computer.Hope this helps!

If anyone is interested, I now have grasp of my problem. It is a driver issue supporting the Precision 2 Joystick. HP technical support advised it was driver related. Microsoft tech. indicates that the driver software is pre-packaged with XP, and there is a firewall preventing external overwrite. Microsoft suggested that I had a defective joystick, and they would replace it under warranty. Alternatively they referred me to a 21 step remedy marching me thru the bowels of the registry, a task I will not personally undertake.Anyway I borrowed an identical Precision 2 joystick and experienced the same dysfunction. I then tried a sidewinder game pad pro controller and it worked fine subject to the axis limitations. I subsequently borrowed an older model Precision Pro Joystick and Flight Sim. performed flawlessly. The ball now appears back in Microsoft's court and they will receive my call tomorrow. Again, thanks everyone for their support and suggestions.