Sign in to follow this  
billhuntsman

This is nuts -- R4D now only starts at Reading

I recently developed a problem where the MAAM DC-3's and R4D won't start. The symptoms are that the engine turns over, but never catches. (Battery, magnetos and master start switch are on, there is fuel in the tanks, fuel selectors are correct and the usual fuel pump/prime/vibrator etc sequence is followed.) I fly these aircraft almost exclusively, so I'm pretty sure that I know how to start them.Now here is the crazy part. If I load the default MAAM R4D startup flight at Reading, the aircraft starts fine. I can shut it down and restart it over and over. If, however, I use the "Go to airport" feature to move the aircraft to another airport, it won't start. It doesn't seem to matter what the other airport is. After verifying that it won't start, I move it back to Reading and it starts fine. I can't for the life of me figure out why this would happen.The turning over without catching problem happened maybe 6 months ago, so I completely reinstalled all my MAAM aircraft, repaints and modifications (such as the Beaumont/Bitzer autorich gauge for the DC-3). Last time that took care of the problem for a number of months, but it's back. I tested the R4D because it doesn't have the modified gauge in it.It is a royal pain to delete and reinstall all the MAAM aircraft etc, so I am hoping that there might be another solution.Bill

Guest Edd1

Hi BillI don't have the answer to your problem, but I do have a similiar experience. After rmeoving my video driver and replacing with a newer version, my starting problem began. I found that by placing a windowon the screen the starting procedure was normal. I then re-installed the previous driver and the problem disappeared. I no longer needed the added window. I still need the window to start the other MAAM DC-3's but the R4D is OK at Reading and other airports. I responded because I noted we have identical video cards and system specs and possibly the same driverI have given up on the windowed thing with the other planes. Just press {, start her up, and have fun.Ed WorkmanOH

Guest SPOFF

Just thought I't jump in here and add my two cents concerning READING. There may be a connection..or not..who knows. The last time I went to Reading, it took me ...I didn't actually measure the time, but it had to take me 1/2 hour to get clearence to take off...AND I was first in line! I waited ..and waited. The problem was "Landings"...and the unreasonable "GAPS" between the landings. ATC was asleep.OK: I'd like to eliminate some..maybe 50% of the AI at Reading. I see a lot of NEW AI in my "Aircraft" Folder which I had never noticed before. QUESTION: Can I just delete that AI from the aircraft folder and be done with it??.. OR will I get in trouble. I am a DORK when it comes to computer stuff. I hope this admission doesn't "Offend" anyone. SPOFF ;-)

Guest Edd1

This should probably be left fot the guys who added the new traffic. I don't use reading enough to comment, however I will check out the ATC problem you mentioned.Ed WorkmanOH

Guest SPOFF

Hi Ed: I forgot to mention that I have the MAAM Reading scenery. I think you are right. I'm not going to touch "that stuff"..whatever it is. I'm not even sure it has anything to do with MAAM Reading. In the FS9 Aircraft folder, there a lot of files starting with CG, like "cgBetty". I opened a few of them up as far as I know how, and don't know what they are. One of them.."cgcub" lookeed like aircraft parts... like the wing of a Cub. Let sleeping dogs lie. There IS one file that is called "KRDG Beech 1900d". It's also listed in "Select" an aircraft...but the plane has no panel and won't fly. I don't have a Beech 1900. ???I went to Reading before adding the MAAM Scenery and it wasn't all that busy. By the way, the day it took me 1/2 hour to take off, it took 3... "Navy.. Cleared to Lands" and "Navy..Go Arounds" before I got on the ground. Maybe the traffic was simulating MAAM WWII Weekend??? SPOFF:-)

Thanks to those who responded, but I think this thread has gotten a little derailed.Tonight I decided to bite the bullet and I removed all MAAM R-4D, DC-3 and C-47 files from my computer (aircraft, gauges, effects etc.). I reinstalled from the CD. I also installed the louder R4D Gauges 277 and Patch 1 as well as the C47's. I made no modifications to any of these.Result -- The R4D startup flight at Reading works. The BEA startup flight does not -- the engine turns over but doesn't catch. Even using Ctrl-E will not start it. If I replace it with the R4D in its new location, the R4D doesn't start.Other non-MAAM aircraft start normally.I have no idea why location should matter or why the R4D startup works, but not the DC3's. Can someone who knows about the gauges etc in this aircraft please give some insight?Thanks.Bill

Reinstalling the MAAM aircraft didn't help, but forcing FS to rebuild the FS9.cfg file did the trick. Strange that the corrupt .cfg file only affected the MAAM aircraft.