Sign in to follow this  
Guest killerwatt

Strange power loss with DC3

Guest killerwatt

Hi All, I seem to be getting a power loss on the DC3. This has happened to me on my last two flights with the DC3 BEA Cargo version. Shortly after levelling out and setting MAP to 31 and RPM to 2250 I experience a reduction in MAP this gets progressively worse and I have to increase throttle to counteract it. Eventualy I find myself using full throttle just to try and maintain altidude. At the same time however my information text bar at the top of the screen reads 0 KIAS I dont know why this is happening and the only thing I can think of that I have added between normal operation and the start of this problem is ActiveSky 6 but I cant see that being the problem. I fly using CH yoke and pedals but also have a usb throttle and a MS sidewinder stick connected but they have been connected for months without this problem occuring. Can anyone help me with this problem please? I have attempted to enclose a pic of the problem. If it works, you will be able to see how far forward my throttles are to get 31 MAP. Notice also how KIAS is at 0 both in cockpit and on info bar!

Guest killerwatt

Update: It seems that the problem with the speed indicator appears when I reach 2000ft. When I then descend to around 1200ft the speed indicator works again untill I once more reach 2000ft. I cant figure this out at all.

Guest allcott

Look at the OAT. Carb icing?. Apply carb heat. Also Pitot Heat for the ASI.Allcott

Guest killerwatt

Thanks for your response, Pitot heat helped with the ASI issue. I have switched on the anti-iceers and the de-frost switch but that didnt help with my MAP problem. What other switches on the overhead should be on? What intrigues me is how come this problem has only come to light now? Could this be as a result of active sky generating weather in a different way?

First things to check are:1. Conflicts between your various hardware items. I find that I can have stick and yoke in tandem leaving aileron and pitch axes active on both, but throttle is a no-no: dead spots and unpredictable behaviour occur if I have throttle active on more than one piece of hardware. Particuarly, it can fail at the extent of travel. You have three potential throttle conflicts there! Although you may have disabled one or the other, I don't know.2. Check your senstitivities within the sim's menu. They have a habit of resetting themselves.3. Obviously, check your hardware calibration.4. Beyond that, check OAT for possible necessity for carb heat, yes, although looking at your altitude and OAT in that shot I can't see that you have a problem with that there. More likely, your mixture is incorrectly leaned, perhaps. But my money is on one or more of the first three points above.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest wji

Yes, to all-of-the-above Your screenshots indicates the pitot tube is frozen shut. Use the PT Heat OH switches and allow time for the ice to melt. Your screenshot indicates the mixture is leaned correctly.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144859.jpgSHFT+H is the FS9 default keyboard command for PHFly High (gives one more time to pray on the way down)

Guest killerwatt

Sorry for being a pain hear guys. I have checked my sensitivity and assignments and shift H is indeed set to pitot heat and H to carb heat. However when I press ShiftH, I can see from the overhead that it only turns on left pitot heat. Also pressing H doesnt seem to do anything, so how do I know if its working? Does carb heat have a 3d switch like pitot heat does? Lastly How do I check My OAT? Sorry about all the newbie questions, but hey we were all newbies once:)

Hi StewartWhy don't you use the switches for pitot rather than keys? More fun ....Carb heat, likewise, you can adjust with the small levers on the right hand side of the quadrant.The OAT (outside air temperature) gauge is the top right one in the set of eight engine gauges.Hope this helps you. Don't worry, no question is too daft, although some of our answers might be now and again!MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest killerwatt

Thanks for all the help guys! :)