If, like me, you have problems steering the DC-3 on the ground take a look at this file, just uploaded to AVSIM.http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=86682It's an invisible gauge which makes the rudder function as toebrakes while on the ground and at speed less than 25 kts, making tail draggers much more steerable.Although intended for the default DC-3 it certainly works for the MAAM DC-3, at least it does for me. :-)It's worth a try, although there's a mistake in the read me which gives the wrong name of the gauge in the entry for the panel file.Give it a try.John

JohnPlease note that we already supply an alternative AIRCRAFT.CFG file for the MAAM-SIM birds - on the original disk - that offers people the choice of 'easy' steering if they do not want the realism of the default file we supply. MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Thanks, Mark.I have tried the "easy steering" config but I didn't find it worked too well. For example, I can get a good left turn with the brakes at low speed but a right turn proves almost impossible.I agree this isn't the most realistic of solutions but it seems to give a good result if you don't have toe brakes.Thanks for the feedback though - the MAAM models remain one of my "top four" for flyability and fun.

>I agree this isn't the most realistic of solutions but it>seems to give a good result if you don't have toe brakes.>>Thanks for the feedback though - the MAAM models remain one of>my "top four" for flyability and fun.Thanks, John, we love compliments :) Glad you are enjoying the aircraft.For the reference of those who have twist joysticks rather than toe brakes: if you twist the joystick in either direction and apply braking, you will find that you have differential braking on the respective side. No twist, parallel braking as usual.The ideal situation, of course, is to set up your control hardware to give you differential throttles as well as differential braking. A DC-3 on the ground is turned with the former primarily, and with braking as backup. It should not be turned by braking alone, as that creates unnecessary wear on the gear. But I concede that this is not easily done unless you have a throttle quadrant of some kind: it's tricky doing this using keyboard inputs, and the average joystick only gives you one throttle axis. Thus, our thought to provide the "easy" option.My own setup has yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant, all from CH Products. This is Nirvana with the MAAM-SIM 'plane. There's more expensive gear available, for sure, but this package cost me less than $400, has lasted throughout many hard sessions online, and is a lot cheaper than buying a real Gooney! CH Products rock. Even four hundred kids at the MAAM show yelling "can I crash it?" and "does it have guns?" and distorting our demo yoke into shapes it was never intended to assume could not break our gear again this year. Nearly, but not quite.And no, I don't get paid to recommend them, but I do anyway.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

I echo and agree with all Mark says, above but want to add one thing. If you don't want to spring for a dual quadrant (I love mine!), differential power can be applied quite successfully by using your mouse to drag the individual throttles. You want to do this from an outside view? Just hit the Shift + 6 key to bring up the full throttle pop-up, drag it into a corner, and Bob's your uncle. Just remember to unlock that tail wheel before turning off the runway. I'm convinced that some of the problems Gooney fliers have with ground steering is they do not properly use this feature: It's locked for takeoff and landing, unlocked for taxiing. The tail wheel locking knob is also on the quadrant pedestal.http://www.fssupport.com/maam/diff_power.jpgSo goose those P&W's and lay off the brakes - those things are expensive. ;-)Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Thanks for helpful ideas all. I do have a pair of CH Pro Pedals - I agree they are fine products. Trouble is they are old ones, pre-usb, and I've never managed to make the toe brakes work via a USB convertor.I did try to bid on a CH throttle quadrant on e-bay this week but the price went over what I was ready to pay right now :-(The yoke is on my "when I've got some spare cash" list too.I like the shift-F6 idea with external view - I hadn't thought of trying that; I'll definitely give that a go. Thanks Bill. RegardsJohn

Guest t-force1

Hi John,I don't know if you have a gameport or not, my motherboard had a built in gameport. Anyway, I got my old CH Pro Pedals to work in harmony with my Saitek X45 (USB throttle and joystick). But you DO need a gameport...If you have a gameport, I can try to figure out how I got this going again. BTW: I don't know if this would help any with the USB conveter, but I had to make a loopback with my setup by plugging the joystick connector on my pedals to it's own aux. port connector before it would work "stand alone" (the only gameport device) It was originally intended to have a gameport style joystick plugged into the pedals. Without it, the circuit is broken! The plugging it into itself makes the circuit again.Eric

Hi, Eric.Yes, I do have a Gameport I hadn't been using it because of problems getting the Gameport and my USB joystick to work together.The pedals work fine through the USB adaptor apart from the toe brakes.I tried installing the Gameport drivers from CH for the pedals but the instal process goes so far and says "cancelled".I'm using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB joystick. Any help you can give will obviously be welcome.RegardsJohn

Guest t-force1

Uh oh... This may not help then. The driver I used was from the CH products website: the all inclusive gameport driver (not just specific to pedals, but all their legacy gameport products). It's "chanlg08.exe". If this is the one that you are already trying, then I'm afraid I don't know what you can do if it won't install. :(

JohnAs far as I know - and others may comment - it is impossible to achieve toe braking with the old gameport pedals. Using a USB converter cannot create what is not there. You need the latest model for these to be functional. Vital for a DC-3, go for it!MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest t-force1

Just to be clear: I AM using gameport pedals with working toe brakes and rudder in conjunction with a USB throttle and joystick, but I am NOT using a USB converter with the pedals as they are connected to an actual gameport. The USB controllers are, of course, connected to the USB port.Might want to add this is under Windows XP, FS9 (or FB + AEP or Falcon AF too!)Beleive me, I was thrilled to not be forced to purchase the USB pedals to get toe brakes.

Well, I'm trying the CH forum to see if I can get help on installing the drivers... I'll update you when I've solved that bit of the problem. :-)Regards & thanks for the interest.John

Just for the record, on my old PC with a set of gameport pedals and yoke along with a USB adaptor I WAS able to get the toebrakes to work - so it is possible using the CH file referenced above.The old pedals never worked with my new (much faster) PC so I was "forced" to invest in USB replacements for both units, and setting up the toe brakes is certainly easier !Alastair