Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Engine Start

Guest BeaverDriver
Worked perfectly (pax & cargo models) - thank you very much!
My pleasure :( . Glad it worked ok for you.

Hello,I just purchased the maam DC-3.Is this fix only for MSFSX?My normalized_starter_torque= values are currently:For all FS9 maam aircraft it is 0.35 except the R4D-6 = 0.33For all FSX maam aircraft it is 0.6 except the R4D-6 = .028Are these the correct "default" R4D-6 values.Are the R4D-6 supposed to go to 1.5 also?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hello,I just purchased the maam DC-3.Is this fix only for MSFSX?My normalized_starter_torque= values are currently:For all FS9 maam aircraft it is 0.35 except the R4D-6 = 0.33For all FSX maam aircraft it is 0.6 except the R4D-6 = .028Are these the correct "default" R4D-6 values.Are the R4D-6 supposed to go to 1.5 also?
You can set any of them to whatever value allows the engines to start reliably, preferably the lowest value that works with the particular FS version.Setting a higher value than necessary causes the starter to spin up unrealistically fast so low is best.This starter torque issue is a "feature" of the various FS versions.

Ok,Thanks for the information.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thanks everyone for this fix. I already thought I had to re-install the whole maam fleet all over again.I did not have the issue untill I reinstalled FSX a few months ago.For me the "normalized_starter_torque=" value change fixed the problem. I set it to 1.6 and I was able to start the emgines manual again. Then I managed to lower the value all the way to 1.2. Now the engine struggles to catch and then it finally does. Great. Only thing I don't see is the oil drip and smoke, but that belongs to a different topic (might not work in FSX).Again thanks for the fix as this is my favorite add-on plane.

• Upvote 1

A day without laughter, is a day without living.

Well I fixed my starting problem here. I took a look at the forums and gathered what others were saying and I used the MAAM-SIM forum and the DCA forum and put together the following config for my MAAM-SIM DC3 and c-47.I have not had a starting problem since for FSX. I don't have to load another airplane when starting FSX like i used to do. I don't have to put the Frame rates below 25. There were a couple of little changes to the config suggested and I put them together and for me it now works. I have been without manually startable engines for some time.Here is my config. not too much different, just a few little changes from the default.[GeneralEngineData]engine_type=0Engine.0=8.333333,-10.800, -1.250000Engine.1=8.333333, 10.800, -1.250000fuel_flow_scalar=.97 //0.94min_throttle_limit=0.02master_ignition_switch=1max_contrail_temperature=-25 [piston_engine]power_scalar=0.89max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.0idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.0max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.0idle_rpm_friction_scalar=1.0cylinder_displacement=131compression_ratio=6.7number_of_cylinders=14max_rated_rpm=2700max_rated_hp=1200.0fuel_metering_type=1cooling_type=0normalized_starter_torque=1.5 //0.6turbocharged=1max_design_mp=52.3min_design_mp=8.0critical_altitude=4760emergency_boost_type=2emergency_boost_mp_offset=6emergency_boost_gain_offset=10fuel_air_auto_mixture=0auto_ignition=0Thanks, A really happy Wayne

Wayne L Pierce
737 # 162444;777 #305562 JS41; B1900; B747; 737NG; MD11
My Computer; WIN7 SP1, P3dv3.2, 16GB  I-7 3.50ghz processors, Nvidia GEforce 980 GPU, 2X SATA HD's. Seagate 1tb, WD 600GB - This is for the FS program only. I use 3 total computers for my cockpit, all add-ons are controlled via LAN connections. UTX, GEX, REX, A2A Accu-feel, Tongass Fijords,FTX sceneries All.

I solved this problem modifiyng the value of power_scalar to 0.97 in each aircraft.cfg (DC-3 Passengers & DC3 Cargo).More exactly in [piston_engine]power_scalar=0.97I hope this suggestion will be of utility
Hi Alan, I had the same problem with engine start in FSX with Briefing Time (B-25) from MAAM and your fix of setting Power_Scaler .97 worked beautifully. How you ever got to this point I'll never know, but you sure helped me out.

Hi there, Well I'm blowed I just posted a new topic on this problem then I spotted this post and you have solved it for me. I had a FR of 70 and was finding my engines with the B25 would not restart. I've just reduced that to 28 and they start perfectly now. I would never have guessed that in a million years. Thanks for your help. Regards Barrie (UK)

OK, seems the "fix" isn't being shared, so I think I found the actual issue, and it shouldn't affect anything in terms of the aircraft performance. Nothing was working for me until I tried this, after spending a couple of hours with the aircraft.cfg file and trying to reason things out. Here it is, and it should work for all:Find the [piston_engine] section in the aircraft.cfg.A little over halfway down, find the entry: "normalized_starter_torque=0.6"Change that value from 0.6 to 1.5.You now have enough rpms when engaging the starter to get the machine started.Hope that helps those that have been stuck on this one.

The "normalized starter torque" change from 0.6 to 1.6 works perfectly and i run FSX SP2 Acceleration on Win7-64bit intel i-5 overclocked to 2.4ghz and an NVIDIA GeForce GT525 with 2gb working ram.

Didnt have to adjust any framerates and the engine perfectly struggles on and stabilizes.

I had beat my head against the wall with the starting procedure and even managed to start the engines after some messing with the startup procedure order but i lost all my notes and my original hard drive in hurricane sandy.

This "1.6 Fix" made my day! Thanks!

I solved this problem modifiyng the value of power_scalar to 0.97 in each aircraft.cfg (DC-3 Passengers & DC3 Cargo).More exactly in [piston_engine]power_scalar=0.97I hope this suggestion will be of utility

I had the same problem with the B-25 which I installed only 2 days ago and did exactly as I-Alan suggested above.It worked every time.Thank you I-Alan.Now I have a problem with the starter panel switches,primer,energize and mesh switches not wanting to move to the down,right engine position.Did anyone else have that problem?I'd appreciate any suggestion.

jmarzo.

I had the same problem with the B-25 which I installed only 2 days ago and did exactly as I-Alan suggested above.It worked every time.Thank you I-Alan.Now I have a problem with the starter panel switches,primer,energize and mesh switches not wanting to move to the down,right engine position.Did anyone else have that problem?I'd appreciate any suggestion.

jmarzo.

Okay.About those switches....I figured it out.It's the right click of the mouse trick.That's what happens when you're too eager to go flying and just zip through the manuals.

jmarzo.

Also had same start problem and found this fix. I was able to get it working by setting starter to 1.15. only complaint is not a very realistic start up...no prime...just hit the start and vib buttons and it spins like crazy and get smoke after a few seconds. thanks BeverDriver.

Now...does anyone know how to get it started with a nice, slow prop turn that "gradually" builds speed until it starts? Check out the A2A B-377 if you want to see a great, realistic engine start.

Garry Lundberg

reducing the frame rate worked perfect instead unlimited ; set it to 10 ;  after starting both engines set frame rate back to its original settings