Sign in to follow this  

Best FS2002 Screen Resolution: 1024x768x32 or 1280x1024

For those of us who have weak & wimpy hardware (a 19" ViewSonic monitor, a PIII 1.0 GHrz, 512MB RAM, Elsa Gladiac 32MB GeForce2 GTS DDR NV15 video, WD 1200JB 120MB drive) on Windows XP Professional with DX9, which screen resolution is the best for both image quality and frame rates?Thank you in advance,Kerke :-wave

On my 19" monitor, I like 1280x960x32. I stay with the 1.33:1 ratio so the round gauges will look round. At the above resolution, I get an 85hz refresh rate. If I am using the E-Dimensional 3D glasses I use 1024x768x32 so I can have a 100hz refresh rate. I don't see much difference in the framerates regardless of the resolution. The higher resolutions look slightly crisper, but I can hardly tell a difference above 1280x960 resolution.

Hi,I am using 1280x1024x16 on nearly the same type of computer and video card. The AA isn't working in 32bit color mode. I have also a higher fps in 16bit color mode.hm

If your ViewSonic monitor is a flatpanel with a 5:4 aspect ratio, go with the 1280x1024. However, a 19" flatpanel is not wimpy, so I'm guessing that's not what you have...in that case, you've probably got a monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio, so you should use 1280x960 if available, or 1024x768 if not.I'm running a PII-300, 256MB RAM, 64MB GeForce2 MX-400 on Win2kPro, 17" flatpanel at 1280x1024, and I don't find that resolution is a big problem for my framerates. (Scenery detail is another issue...)Matt