Sign in to follow this  
Guest alymcleod

magnified engine instruments and autopilot panel

Guest alymcleod

I am planning on trying out my sim with Wideview. I have two pcs, two monitors and a projector and wish to put the two minitors with captains panel on one, engine instruments and autopilot on the other. The magnification toggle works a treat for the flight panel but the other I would like to magnify too. Ideally the quadrant would be deleted too of course as I use a PFC item. Has anybody done this already? With all this and my two original DC3 cockpit seats, magneto switches and overhead switch panels I could be well on my way to an "Ego" room :) :) :)

Sounds fantastic, Aly. Give us some tech specs and a progress report as you develop this; not to mention, a pic or two!MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

>With all this and my two original DC3 cockpit seats, magneto>switches and overhead switch panels I could be well on my way>to an "Ego" room That sounds amazing :)It would be really great if you could show some pictures of your cockpit!:D GreetingsTim

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Guest alymcleod

Hi Tim,I dont really have much to go on at this time. I have however done the instrument panel this morning- the Mk 1 version at any rate!. I have used the old faithfull R4D instruments. Modified the background.bmp's with Photoshop to full screen 1024x768 and resized the flight instruments to 2-1/4 inches (17" screen). I built the panels with "FS Panel Studio" which really is a whiz of a program. It took me a couple of hours to do the Captains Panel and "Shift+2" now brings up the engine panel-undock the window and hey presto! Instant DC3 panel for idiots!! It looks good on two 17" CRTs but I think I would prefer to buy two cheap TFT-LCD's. Never having used them before perhaps some kind soul would give me his/her thoughts on the subject because I seem to remember that TFTs lose clarity when viewed from the side?. I looked into SimKits but the price would be prohibitive for me. Lovely if you can afford them but Ive bought real aeroplanes for less than their Cessna panel kit!! One 19" screen(main) and one 17" screen(Engine-Sperry)with aluminium facia and screws and it will look like the mutt's nuts - or good enough for me anyway (Ive seen somebody here on Avsim with a similar Cessna panel). Rotary Knitter switches or similar put on the panel for rotating the OBS Heading bugs etc will be added too. It would be nice with no mice!!When my wallet allows I will buy one of the Sim Boards from Flightdeck Technology. This would save me a lot of time b#ggering about with keyboard emulators etc. I need to build the F/O overhead from scratch with the start panel, booster pump switches, superchargers switches, volt and ammeter etc. The overhead Captains panel is original and I got it off of Ebay about four years ago. The Mag switches (from a PBY 5A) I also bought from Ebay about a year ago. Not the same as 819'er but very similar.The cockpit seats I was given by a friend.It will NOT be a scale replica but definitely recognisable as that of a DC3. I have the PFC quadrant, CH Yoke and PFC pedals. The engine controls I have removed from the Yoke and plan to use these on a plywood pedestal for Rudder, Elevator and Aileron trim (I also have the original winders and trim wheel from a DC3). Glare shield will be plywood or perhaps ally plate. Windows will be plastic but the framework in welded steel for rigidity to hold the overhead switch panels which are quite heavy. I have an original DC4 yoke but the CH item is more practical having switches which will still be needed for ease of use........maybe not!!With all this tied together with drawing pins, string, bubble gum and FSUIPC I plan to rejoin DC 3 Airways again !!I have so many other projects on the go at the moment between my scale RC aeroplanes and other stuff but I will try to get on with my pit soon. Jeez Im 47.....toy areoplanes........computer games........when will I grow up ??? No wonder Im still single but if Claudia Schiffer is reading this - you can have me if you play yer cards right :-wave