Sign in to follow this  
rambow

FSX Basic Compatibility Update #1 for R4D Released

It's finally finished and up, folks. It was a long, painful process, especially for Fred and Howard, but the FSX Update #1 is finally ready for download.:-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpyThe patch addresses the most basic compatibility issues posed by the changes in FSX, which are many. Much more remains to be done before we will feel like we have a full-blown FSX version, and it's going to take a lot of redesign. Right now, as you know, our priority is the TBM, so we have set aside cosmetic issues and the flight model changes for later updates. Despite this, you'll find the old girls look pretty wonderful and fly well in the new sim.Our sincere thanks and a tip of the fifty-mission-crushed hat to the vastly experienced pilots over at DC-3 Airways who gave us an invaluable hand with the beta testing when we came up short on FSX equipped BTBT members.Go get your copy of the update at the MAAM-SIM Free Stuff Page right now, or the file library here. It's under 8MB and has an illustrated installation guide in html format that you had better follow exactly, otherwise we'll see you back here asking why things are all farkled up!Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/hgrsm_blkani.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest steveh

Hi Bill,Thank you for this, it's nice to have the old girl back. One question, in FS9 the view from the vc included the runway ahead so taxying was easy, in FSX I just see sky! from the pilots seat. It is so long since I sat in a real DC3 I cannot remember which is right but has this changed in FSX and which is correct?Steve

Guest t-force1

Hurray!!! I just installed this and the all theater pack and tried it out. I am excited to be flying this bird in FSX. Good job guys.

Guest wrayer

Thank you, and it's wonderful, as always.

Guest RiPo220

Thanks for the compatibility update for the DC-3. Even though I installed the update, there are still some problems I experienced with your DC-3.First of all, and this is the worst problem to me, the DC-3 crashes my whole system, when I fly in IMC and open a sub-panel (e.g. radio stack). This is quite annoying, because I always liked flying your DC-3 in IMC, because it gives the opportunity of performing a full ILS approach, while Microsoft default DC-3 does not even have DME (in order to fly LOC-DME or NDB-DME approaches, I have to use GPS there which is not the best solution). I have recently read about turning the light reflections off, which I will try later, but I do not consider this as a final solution to the problem. By the way, I use virtual cockpit in almost all of my flights because I use a monitor with 16:10 screen ratio and all 2D-fullscreen panels are displayed stretched which looks quite scrappy (but is not a problem of your plane but of all planes and is due to the way, FS is programmed; even though, I only use virtual cockpit for all flights (sometimes with zoom and without sight out of the VC) because I don't really like instruments that have the form of broken eggs).I have the same problem even in VMC when installing the AUTO-LEAN modification. It would be really great, if you could tell me, if it is possible to modify the AUTO-LEAN modification, so that it works in FSX. Particularly because of the fact that the DC-3 neither has an EGT gauge nor a fuel flow indicator, adjusting the mixture manually is quite impossible without causing a great lack of engine performance flying at high altitudes.Secondly, I have experienced a problem with your transponder. It does not work in multiplayer mode and always sends squawk 1200 to the ATC controller. Although this is a minor problem, I would appreciate it to be fixed.The third problem I have to mention is the one that I cannot use the ADF properly because it is always hidden behind the yoke. To make an NDB approach I really have to change my view to strange positions, like flying on the FO's seat while using the AC's instruments. This problem also occures during ILS approaches with the NAV receiver although I can handle it giving some forward trim and pulling the yoke back (also not really a solution to the problem especially the ADF is hidden even with forward trim). In this case, I think, a no-yoke-fix would really help.The last problem is the one that the cockpit lighting does not work properly in VC mode. It turns on for about half a second and then switches off immediately even though the switch remains in "on" position. This is really annoying and might have to do with lighting restrictions and priority of light sources. It might also be a problem specific to my system, so I will try to fix this on my system, but I would also be helped, if you could tell me how to change my preferences in order to let the panel lights show up in the right way even in VC mode.At last, I would like to thank you for making such good planes like the R4D, the DC-3 and C-47 and also for all the free enhancements provided during the time of further development. I must admit that your product is one of the best flight simulation enhancements, I've ever had (and I had quite a lot since I use FS (with add-ons) for about 10 years). I really liked using your DC-3 in FS2004 and it would be great, if you made it possible to fly it properly and with full features in FSX, too. Especially the fact that you made a virtual cockpit that provides an equivalent quality to the 2D-panel and that is even good for flying IFR, is one of the features, I like most (also because of the fact that some other planes that I would like to fly, are not useable to my PC-configuration because they only have 2D-panels or VCs with minor quality compared to the 2D-panel while the 2D-panels do not display properly on my screen).Greetings from D

Guest kennethg

Makes me happy that I've stayed with FS2004.I'm sure MAAM-Sim are working on all those issues. From what I've read everywhere, FSX has caught out almost all of the developers that had released FS2004 aircraft that had any sort of complexity to them. I've been waiting since December for Just Flight to issue a patch for their FS2004 Tiger Moth, but I suspect that's been delayed due to FSX compatibility work.

Guest Javis

Hallo Ripoman,Afraid i can only help with two of the problems you mention. With the R4D MediumVC model you can choose a version without the Yoke appearing in the VC ( see this thread : http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=5438&page= ) There's a bit more tedious method to get rid of the Yoke in all the Dakota models. You will have to 'black-out' all images pertaining to the Yoke on the bitmaps. If you do a search on the subject here you can most probabely find a detailed description on how to go about this method. ( Mark : i believe you provided a pre-fabricated bitmap set for this ? ) Regarding the lights going out in the VC : hit the ' O ' key ( that's the 'O' letter, not the number ) to turn off the cabin lights, that'll bring the VC lighting back on. I hope other members of the crew will be able to help you with the other problems. After much blood,sweat & tears we have no more issues with the panel pop-ups crashing FSX. Does it happen to you only under severe weather conditions ?Cheers,Jan