Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeff S KDTW

Real shots of landing at Catalina Island yesterday

Thanks Geof,Those are some really nice pictures particularly the first one. Looks like coming onto a carrier deck doesn't it?This is the feeling or the view birds have all the time, they of course are the best pilots of all. :)PS: Did you come in a bit higher and a little hotter than normal? :-eek

Geofa,You're right. Great shots. I enjoyed them. Looks like they've got the mesh scenery at about LOD 10.Thanks,Bill :-roll

Nice pic's.Do they still charge a landing fee there. The last i landed there, it was 10 bucks?Ed

Wow, that looks like a real life version of one of those airports where the Microsoft default airport elevation data doesn't match that of add-on terrain mesh !John

Hi, Geof. Nice pics. Next time you come around, let me know. I fly out of KLGB, KSNA, and go to Catalina and Big Bear often. Who was the pilot? You can EMail me if you do not want to post, flytv1@removeyahoo.com. It may be an optical illusion, but you look a bit low on final. On a windy day you can get some good downdrafts, right at the end of the runway. I stay, and recommend, to stay a bit high and land longer if needed. I was going to go to Big Bear tomorrow (Sunday), but we just started to get a torrential rain tonight (as I speak 10:01PM CA time), it may have to wait until Monday.I freelance with Rainbow Air, and OCFC (SNA) and use Surface to air, Eagle etc. I hope you had a nice time. TV

Excellent pictures there Geof - it's what flying is all about with world offering such good views and stunning landscapes.What elevation from MSL is the aerodrome? - looks quite highCheersWill :-wave

I hate it when scenery developers don't flatten the area around the airport. It looks so unrealistic when the airport is on a plateu like that.oh wait, those were real photos? :)Nice pics :D

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Geofa:Great photos. I posted virtual versions of almost these same vantage points a month back from my flight in the FSD Seneca, KSAN to Santa Catalina (I forget the airport code now. Interestingly, MS has done a fairly nice job in rendering the perspective and elevation landmarks. I would have loved to ride that approach for real, as it is really challenging in FS 2K2. I don't suppose people fly that at night, but I tried it in a Saab 340 - well, lets just say I made it after one go-around, but I wouldn't want to post those screenshots, thats for sure. If I can find my screenshots, I'll repost them midweek - it would be nice to compare your real-world photos and the virtual ones.Happy New Year All, Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest BobD

My logbook indicates that I flew a number of trips to Catalina in 1947 as co-pilot in a Unitded Airlines DC-3. Memeory is dim, but I do remember that the flights were VFR only. and from Los Angeles and Long Beach. The shortest flight time I have listed is :19 minutes one way, and the longest roundtrip time is 1:43, with at least part of it listed as "Night". It was not unusual to circle the island beneath the scud, looking for a suitable approach path. It was also not unusual to be climbing when starting the final approach. Occasionally we just had to give it up and go back home.Other than some improved buildings, your pictures don't show much change. Thanks for the memories.BobDethlefsen490th Bomb.Sqdn 341st BGBurma Bridge Busters