Sign in to follow this  
WarHorse47

Possible TBM load problem

This looks like the right place to post a possible problem with the TBM.I purchased it last night, and have had several flights. Great job.My problem surfaces when I attempt to load a second flight, or switch a/c and select the TBM. Whenever I do this, the TBM doesn't load and FS9 has a CTD.I've got a lot of experience with FS9 and have lots of other payware and freeware a/c, and I've done some testing to isolate this issue.My default flight is always a cold start. I was wondering if there might be a correlation with that.Anyways, once I reload the sim I have no problem loading the TBM. It's always the second flight that produces the CTD.Any suggestions? Should I change my default flight parameters to something else (e.g., engine running)?Thanks--WH

Just an update.I just found the manual and read where there is an issue with some ATI Cards. I guess that is what is causing the CTD in my case.--WH

Here are the specs on my machine if it helps track down the gauge causing the issue:Dell Dimension 4550Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 Ghz1 Gb Ram128 DDR ATI Radeon Pro 9700 TX128 Mb RAM--WH

Guest Quicksand

Hello all. I've been a lurker around here for a while, but this is my first post. WH, I've been messing around with the Avenger and FS9 all day, and after my copilot (my Avenger crazed son) left for a while, I could cocentrate a little better. My problem is exactly the same as yours. Here's my specs: HP Pavillion a1330n Windows XP Media Edition SP2 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.39GHz 960 Mb RAMI hope this info will lead to a patch to correct the CTD, but on a brighter note, when I fly the Avenger, it usually turns out to be a long, satisfying flight experience that tends to make me not be overly stressed when the CTD comes, because by that time I'm usually in need of a break anyway..... I am enjoying yhis aircraft very much, in spite of the small problem, and I thank the fine team at MAAMSIM for creating it for the community.Quicksand

Guest 747-fan

Very strange, I seem to be able to switch back and forth with no issue (except, strangely enough, I get no Active Camera, which I've posted in a different thread)...

Yes, strange indeed. The manual indicates the problem is related to certain ATI video cards. With the various flights I've taken, I'm starting to take some notes to determine any trends. There are so many variables its tricky to isolate the cause.The manual recommends not switching models within flights. I just completed a nice flight, exited to the 'Create a Flight' menu, and with the same TBM model I picked another airport. And... it would not load, but gave me an error message and locked up. It is almost as if once the a/c is loaded, something is locking onto a memory bock so it will not let you reload the aircraft for a second flight or to pick another model.Anyways, as the manual says I'm going to just post my experiences and observations here in the forum. MAAM has their air show this weekend, so they are likely busy and unable to reply until sometime next week.--WH

Thanks WH and others for helping us to resolve this problem.ATI was mentioned simply because that is where we saw it on one of our developer's notebook machines. At post time there were no reports of this from our beta team and we hoped it would be a non issue.Is it isolated to a particular view or video mode?VC, 2D, spot view, full screen, windowed, or isn't it picky?Fred

Guest Quicksand

Fred, I always fly full screen mode, and have not checked to see what the windowed mode would do. As for the views, I've not found any difference in any view. I'll give it a try on my system and report back. Q~

>Thanks WH and others for helping us to resolve this problem.>>ATI was mentioned simply because that is where we saw it on>one of our developer's notebook machines. At post time there>were no reports of this from our beta team and we hoped it>would be a non issue.>>Is it isolated to a particular view or video mode?>VC, 2D, spot view, full screen, windowed, or isn't it picky?>>Fred>Hi, Fred.I'm running full screen at 1024 X 768, 32 bit resolution.It happens everytime after I've flown one flight in the TBM.It also happens whenever I attempt to change the model or to another texture of the TBM.I can close out the 1st TBM flight, and start another flight with another aircraft. However, if I attempt to fly the TBM again (for a second time), the program aborts (CTD).Once I'm in a TBM flight, I can reposition myself with the map. I thought I would mention this because this reloads the scenery and current aircraft without crashing to the desktop.Like Quicksand, I haven't tried the windowed mode.One thought I had, was if it made any difference on which install was used. In my case I did the 2nd install which was just the a/c and the carrier. This did not install RCBCO-20 or FSUIPC v3.8.1.0 as I already had RCBCO-20 installed and am currently running FSUIPC v3.768. I noticed that the panel.cfg still refered to the RCBCO gauges although I elected not to overwrite my current install.I'm still enjoying the TBM although its one flight at a time. And I'm making observations and taking notes as I go.Thanks--WHUPDATE: There was a suggestion posted on Sim-Outhouse forum that provided a partial solution. By moving the panel folders to from fsfsconv to the individual aircraft folders, and renaming them, I can now switch aircraft textures for the TBM without a CTD. However, I still cannot switch between models.--WH

It's late night after day two of WWII Weekend where it was incedibly hot and steamy, with worse predicted for tommorow, maybe into triple digit temperatures. The main computer running the TBM decides every few hours that it's had enough of this heat and goes on strike for a while until we let it cool. I have 6 fans stiring the air, but tomoorow may be more of the same.Anyway, about the aircraft switching bug - you are already talking to the right team member in Fred. He and Hansi will have to track this thing down, so please continue the detective work and report here. Hi to everyone from me and 'Dark Moment'. After the show yesterday, we got a special trip in a golf cart across the active runway so that we could show our other perrenial helper, Dave Wood the R4D. I'm sure Mark will be posting the cockpit snaps pretty soon.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/hgrsm_blkani.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi WH,>I noticed that the panel.cfg >still refered to the RCBCO gauges although I elected not to>overwrite my current install.No problem there, the panel.cfg files are common to all installations. If the gauges are not installed those panel.cfg entries are ignored.>By moving the panel folders>from fsfsconv to the individual aircraft folders, and>renaming them, I can now switch aircraft textures for the TBM>without a CTD.Good find. I think this was done to reduce the size of the download.Thanks a bunch for your efforts.

Good morning.I did a little more experimenting this morning. I made a little progress, but not 100%. Here goes.Since there was some improvement in placing the panel folder in each aircraft folder, this morning I decided to test what would happen if I also placed a sound folder in each.My first test was to just place the sound folder in the TBM folder, and alias the rest. The results were the same - a CTD when chaning between models.My second test was to create a full sound folder (all contents) in each aircraft folder. I was able to switch to one different model without a CTD, but encountered the CTD when attempting to switch to a third model. In other words, if I started with the Tarpon I model I was able to switch to the Tarpon II model; but, I could not change from the Tarpon II model to another model without the CTD.--WHUPDATE: Well, nuts. Scratch that idea. The results are inconsistent. I just did some more testing, and the results are the same - CTD on the 1st model change.I went back to the default install configuration and we'll just wait and see if there is gauge conflict with the ATI card. I can't think of anything else to test at the moment.--WH

Rats! I was beginning to think we were on to something. Although finding out what the bug is not is still progress.Thanks for everything WH.Fred