Sign in to follow this  
VH-MAL

TBM loading problem

HiI'm completely new to this forum, so this is my first post, so please be gentle with me!First of all, congratulations to all those involved in the MAAM team who present us with such excellent sim aircraft - I have them all and although I haven't flown it much yet, I thing the Avenger will become my favourite - I've loved this plane since childhood (a long time ago now!) and I am virtually fulfilling a dream by actually getting to "fly" it now.I have noticed a great discussion on problems loading the TBM, changing to another aircraft and getting CTDs. I have tried every possible option of changing from TBM to another aircraft, either default or another add-on (MAAM of course!), back to the TBM, change to another TBM model, start with another aircraft and change to TBM etc etc.Without exception, I cannot get the system to fail, and FS9 is working perfectly no matter what option I throw at it. I only downloaded a the TBM a couple of days ago, and noticed it was version 1.1.Has the problem been fixed? or are others still having problems?For information, my system is:Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 Ghz3 GB of RAMNVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (256MB)Also, I only installed the basic program of the aircraft only - not the carrier ops or FSUIPC...Malcolm

Hi Malcolm.I encountered similar problems. The cause appeared to be the default flight I was using to load the TBM for flight.My default flight was setup as a 'cold start' with all switches off (or so I thought) and the aircraft at my local airport. I found the solution by taking one of the MAAM TBM flight.Try this next time. Select one of the TBM installed flights, and once airborne, see what happens when you switch TBM models (using the Alt-A-A command). You can then do some more testing by switching to another aircraft as well.If you don't encounter any more CTD's, then the solution is to save the MAAM flight as your default flight.--WH

HiThanks for your interest. I tried all your suggestions, and no matter what I do I still can't get the TBM to CTD! It doesn't matter whether I use one of my default flights or one of MAAM's and it doesn't matter how often I change aircraft TBM to TBM or to a default aircraft and back ot even to a commercial add-on I still can't get the system to CTD.I put this item up as a possible way to work on a solution - as I say, is it my system (the NVidea Card), the fact that I didn't install the Carrier Ops or FSUIPC (I don't have this installed) or some other strange reason?I'll keep trying to get a CTD and will let you know if it eventually happens.All the best.Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,Stop trying so hard! A CTD is not a badge of honor! ;-) The issue only affects a small number of users and may be video-card or system related. Of all our testers and developers, in the final model, only my laptop exhibited the bug, so we put it in as a known issue and let her fly. There turned out to be other afflicted users, but still not many. One of these is working with Fred to find a cure, but of course it's summertime and we must allow our Canadian partner to enjoy the brief thaw between ice ages up there! :-) So allow him a bit more time. It's really hard killing a bug you have never seen yourself. The good news is, even for those who experience these CTD's, it does not prevent you from flying any given Turkey to your heart's content. You will just have to start a new FS session to switch to another plane.Now, stop bragging about never having seen a crash! ;-)Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/hgrsm_blkani.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Malcolm Just curious... why VH-MAL? Perhaps because you live in Oz and are called Malcolm? Or is there another connection?A certain VH-MAL is well known to me....http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190053.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190054.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190055.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190056.jpgMarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

VH-MALOther than using the default MAAM flights, the only other changes I made to my install were to the two panel.cfg files.Make sure you make backup copies before making any changes.With both I cleaned up the script by removing some of the extra spaces between line entries. Instead of gauge02=MAAM_TBM!ASI, 365,225,82,80 it should look like gauge02=MAAM_TBM!ASI,365,225,82,80I only did this because I once had a malfuncting radio because of the extra spaces. It doesn't hurt anything anyways.The other change I made was to the the zorder= entry for [Window11] and [Window12] in both panel.cfg files. In the panel for the TBF, I changed the [Window12] entry from 10 to 12 to be consistent with the other windows. In the TBM panel.cfg you need to add the zorder=11 line to [Window11] as well as change the entry for [Window12] from 10 to 12.Here is what it should look like (note the // are for comments)://--------------------------------------------------------[Window11]file=TBF_MINIPANEL.bmp Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=1024position=7visible=1ident=MINIPANELchild_3d=1zorder=11 //added for the TBMgauge00=MAAM_TBM!ASI,17,15,130gauge01=MAAM_TBM!Turnco,186,13,135gauge02=MAAM_TBM!DG,361,19,124gauge03=MAAM_TBM!Attitude,513,-7,192gauge04=MAAM_TBM!Altimeter,692,12,143gauge05=MAAM_TBM!VSI,872,11,130//--------------------------------------------------------[Window12]size_mm=240,240window_size= 0.3,0.4 // Size: 30% screen width,40% screen heightwindow_pos= 0.36,0.0 // Top-Left corner at: 35% horizontal,0% verticalbackground_color=0,0,0visible=0ident=10011zorder=12 //was 10gauge00=rcb-miljet!Ball,0,0,240,240gauge01=dsd_carrier_zones!zone_selection,10,0,200,14Good luck.--WH

Hi BillSorry! Didn't mean to cause a fuss. As I said, this plane is absolutely superb, and a credit to all those involved. The fact that I can't get a CTD only adds to the pleasure, and I'm pleased that it is only a miniscule problem.I'll go on flying the TBM (and the other MAAM planes) to my heart's content, safe in the knowledge that I can do so in safety!Thanks again for all your efforts and superb aircraft, especially the TBM.Kindest regardsMalcolm

Hi MarkThanks for the great pictures. Yes! this aircraft is known to me, and is the other reason for my choice of VH-MAL, the other being the obvious one of my name being Malcolm and living in Australia.I have had an avid interest in aviation all my life, but unfortunately the aircraft depicted were no longer flying when I eventually joined the Civil Aviation Authority back in '79 (eventually leaving in the mid '90's). By that stage, "Bushies" (as we called BPA) had retired their DC-3's, but the RAAF still had their C47's flying and I was fortunate enough to be able to scramble all over one shortly before they were retired from service. They were a great plane and I think I downloaded so many variations that you had a hand in - and I thank you!I am in awe of the work that all you guys at MAAM Sim do and it's great to be able to chat to some of you.Keep up the great work, and I hope to keep in touch with you.Kindest regardsMalcolm

"can't get a CTD " ??? :-hmmm Do you mean you are getting a CTD (where FS9 will Crash to the Desktop), OR you looking to create a CTD??--WH

Hi WHNo matter how hard I tried I could not get the TBM to CTD. This aircraft is rock solid on my system and I only started this thread to see if my system or version of the TBM (v1.1) were the reason why CTD's weren't happening, where CTD's have happened to others.I have heeded Bill's advice and am now just enjoying the priveledge of being able to fly this wonderful plane - my favourite being the NZ2525 TBF which is the closest thing to home (Oz)!Sorry for any confusion caused, and thanks for your advice etc.Keep the blue side up!Kind regardsMalcolm

Malcolm,Yes, the confusion was on my part. I thought you were having CTD's and were looking for a solution.The CTD's are isolated as Bill said. The manual indicates a possible relation with ATI video cards.As I mentioned I was one who did have CTD's. After some experimenting and testing and the few minor tweak's I mentioned, everything is rock solid.--WH

Hi WHSorry for any confusion and thanks again for your concern.Loved the TBM pics you have posted!All the bestMalcolm

Hi WarHorse,Thanks for the tip ! This solved the problem for me and I can now load between aircraft within a Mark and between different Marks without getting a sim crash.Adding zorder statements to the panel.cfg of the Plane Design Spitfire Mk.XVI stoped that from crashing if another aircraft was selected as well !Cheers,Alastair

Thanks for the tip, Alastair. Works like a charm. Always wanted a solution to that problem.:-beerchug --WH