Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

How would you redesign the world's finest aircraft?

Guest Gander

I agree with the previous suggestions concerning sound effects: the more the better! I still have only your FS-9 version, and think it's truly superb -- but here's the sort of thing that could lure me into the dreaded world of FSX:Can you include the sounds of creaking and popping when the airframe flexes in stormy weather turbulence, or upon tire impact when landing?Can you add some hydraulic whine and brake squeal when taxiing?Could you have a voice call-out for checklist items like you do for "gear down and locked" in the FS-9 version -- at least for several of the most important items: gear, flaps, airspeed, altitude, etc?Could you add a sound for the cabin door being closed & secured, or maybe a stewardess voice call-out for this action?When the gear retracts could there be a sound as it seats in the fully-retracted position?Thanks for any consideration you can give the above. You guys do a truly fantastic job!

Can not wait for this bird!!As mentioned above, something similar to the complexity of the A2A B377 would be great - true engine management, extended/dynamic engine wear/life, etc...Also, I have been flying the Carenado Mooney and Cessna206 very much lately. I love the way the panels are set up. Each instrument can be opened in a separate window and moved to a second monitor. Also, a another click renders the instruments vital information as a digital readout.

Guest RobertAlley

[Many of the featyres of the B377 mentioned by the previous poster are the result of the Accusim addon.Would MAAM consider collaborating with A2A... being responsible for model and .air file while A2A does what they do best... bringing radial systems to life???Robert Alleyquote name=StoneC0ld' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:39 AM' post='1289230]Some of these may be doable, some may not be... But, here goes... More systems modelled, like the ones on the upper panel in the VC that are painted on (is that an APU switch, or am I imagining things? --I haven't used FS in awhile..) Visible flaps from the interior cabin in VC. Lower-resting tailwheel so it looks like the tail has some weight to it... Perhaps consult with and work with the author of the freeware DC-3C available here at Avsim (I think) that has the extensive failure modelling built-in... (Don't have access to my flightsim or the original archive of this aircraft so I can't actually post the name right now..) Would have to have an option to turn them off completely (so that there's zero need to follow proper operating procedures for those that don't want it), and have various settings on the slider to increase the difficulty. If he's willing to contribute the failure modelling, of course... :( Otherwise, perhaps you could do your own failure modelling to encourage "proper" operating procedures as an optional feature... Is it even possible to make the props rotate at the correct speed when the starter is cranking? Or is FS hard-coded to make the props rotate at 400+ RPM? I know the real R4D doesn't have strobes, but if you keep the interior cabin light modelled, could that be assigned to a different unused light source (wing inspection light, perhaps) so that it can be retrofitted with strobes if we like? (also would negate having to operate the interior cabin lights in the same manner as the strobe lights to satisfy FS Flightkeeper (and other similar tools that penalize for improper strobe light usage) without having to turn that option off and lose that option for other aircraft..) Openable cockpit window would be nice, get some fresh air while on the ground... :) Can't think of anything else...

Hello and thanks to everyone on the MAAM team for everything you've done at Spaatz and with the flight-sim community!I'll keep this short as possible.... my wish-list for a FSX version of the C47/DC3 would include:* Fully click-able VC* More aircraft systems modeled with built-in failures (hydraulics, etc)* The ability to have multiple models with/without interiors+extra details so we could tailor the aircraft to our hardware's capabilities (sigh....)... this would be my wish-list for a otherwise excellent aircraft!Keep up the great work, and looking forward in meeting the team at KRDG!Aris DCA1443Athens, Greece

Guest 747-fan

I really would like a fully functional VC and proper damage modelling.I hope you'd consider approaching A2A simulations and have a talk with them about realism modelling. Maybe a joint developement? They're a commercial company though, but they're damned good at what they do. Maybe they could produce a realism module to connect to your DC3? I'd presume you'd have to talk to them about some kind of SDK.Also

remember me?.....the windows .....the windows...... :( ...thank God you're doing this ...i've been waiting soooo long...make it so real looking, that one would expect it to fly out of the monitor.....................cheers, and blessings!!!.......vic

How about a Super DC-3 with the PW R1830-90C round engines. I sure would like a model of that.Harry

Harry Nelson

this potentially knockout contribution to the flightsim experience, may be made manifest in:aug09-dec09?jan10-apr 10?may10-aur10?sept10-dec10?jan11-xxxx?it just would be nice to be able to prepare myself ........something to look forward to ...another reason to keep on living........but an open window, a maybe, an if, a some time in the future, is toooo discouraging....and kinda depressing....but if you're hands are tied...can't say i didn't tried..... :( ..................................................cheers, and best wishes................................

Guest jerkymiah

This topic is pretty old so I don't know if you're still looking for input, but I would love to see a Cyclone powered DC-3. There are already paints out there for Cyclone powered DC-3s like the Corsair or the KNILM version, but obviously they are applied to a P&W powered DC-3. I haven't thoroughly researched it but I don't think the airframe is any different except for the engine nacelles obviously. The FDE would have to be modified as well as some of the gauges, but none of that seems inordinately difficult (I'm not a modeler though). Give it a thought.

if you think this topic is old by now.....wait till next year at this time then it will be old :( ...hey....don't know if this thread is still read, but....what is "dark moment"???...been bugging me for years....where or how did it originate?....cheers, vic

Guest HoggyDog
There is a difference, however, between upgrading an FS2004 model for FSX and producing a model that is specifically designed for FSX. There is little doubt in our minds (what's left of them... thinking hurts) here at MAAM-SIM that the main reason for the group's established reputation has been the progressive development of the best DC-3 model for flightsim; from FS2000 on. Those of you who have supported MAAM over the years will be more than glad to hear, I think, that the DC-3 is top of our list for an all-singing, all-dancing FSX model.
Yay!!!! I am singing and dancing! Finally, my MAAM-SIM R4D's will have visible Astrodomes in FSX!!!! Go Go Go MAAM-SIM FSX Team!<tries to hide drool while wiping spittle off of monitor>
Importantly - and this is the reason for this thread - now is YOUR chance to give us input into what you would like to see in any next generation of DC-3s from MAAM-SIM. Will you post here with your ideas?
I absolutely LOVE the MAAM-SIM Gooneys, and I have added some panel mods (Gyro, HSI, Bendix-King AP) to make my single pilot flying less of a juggling act. I have only two suggestions, one "major" and one minor:1. I love the tire smoke on landing... but why do the tires also smoke at liftoff? :( This is not possible in the real world, so it seems that someone tied the tire smoke effect to a "some-but-less-than-all weight on that wheel" program hook, resulting in tire smoke on touchdown AND at liftoff. I hope the FSX version will show tire smoke only when appropriate, i.e. on touchdown.2. When parked at "turnaround" stops, especially in the African bush where I had my closest contact with these amazing aircraft, control locks (we called them "gust locks") are seldom applied- thus, the elevators invariably "droop" to the full nose-down position due to their own weight AND due to the pilots pushing the control column forward in order to get out of their seats. The only time the elevators on parked aircraft would be in the neutral "trail" position is when gust locks have been installed. In the real operational world, this was seldom done until the final stop of the day, i.e. when the airplane was to be left parked overnight, or at least unattended for several hours. Also, in the real world, DC3's were not "pushed back" as is the norm for airliners today. Generally, the aircraft were taxied straight at the "gate" (which was more of a clear patch in the mud than an actual "gate") and then sharply turned around using differential thrust and braking and stopped as soon as the airplane was faced correctly... leaving the tailwheel and sometimes the rudder "cocked" to the inside of the turn. In all taildragger sims that have flown, the tailwheels "miraculously" pop into straight alignment even when the aircraft is stopped while in the middle of a sharp turn. It would be nice to have "droopy elevators" and "cocked tailwheel/rudder" (if the aircraft is stopped mid-turn) be the default after engine shutdown, with an option switch to "install gust locks," bringing all controls to the "trail" position.Keep up the great work, and PLEASE hurry up with the FSX version of the amazing MAAM-SIM R4D package!

Yay!!!! I am singing and dancing! Finally, my MAAM-SIM R4D's will have visible Astrodomes in FSX!!!! Go Go Go MAAM-SIM FSX Team!<tries to hide drool while wiping spittle off of monitor>I absolutely LOVE the MAAM-SIM Gooneys, and I have added some panel mods (Gyro, HSI, Bendix-King AP) to make my single pilot flying less of a juggling act. I have only two suggestions, one "major" and one minor:1. I love the tire smoke on landing... but why do the tires also smoke at liftoff? :( This is not possible in the real world, so it seems that someone tied the tire smoke effect to a "some-but-less-than-all weight on that wheel" program hook, resulting in tire smoke on touchdown AND at liftoff. I hope the FSX version will show tire smoke only when appropriate, i.e. on touchdown.2. When parked at "turnaround" stops, especially in the African bush where I had my closest contact with these amazing aircraft, control locks (we called them "gust locks") are seldom applied- thus, the elevators invariably "droop" to the full nose-down position due to their own weight AND due to the pilots pushing the control column forward in order to get out of their seats. The only time the elevators on parked aircraft would be in the neutral "trail" position is when gust locks have been installed. In the real operational world, this was seldom done until the final stop of the day, i.e. when the airplane was to be left parked overnight, or at least unattended for several hours. Also, in the real world, DC3's were not "pushed back" as is the norm for airliners today. Generally, the aircraft were taxied straight at the "gate" (which was more of a clear patch in the mud than an actual "gate") and then sharply turned around using differential thrust and braking and stopped as soon as the airplane was faced correctly... leaving the tailwheel and sometimes the rudder "cocked" to the inside of the turn. In all taildragger sims that have flown, the tailwheels "miraculously" pop into straight alignment even when the aircraft is stopped while in the middle of a sharp turn. It would be nice to have "droopy elevators" and "cocked tailwheel/rudder" (if the aircraft is stopped mid-turn) be the default after engine shutdown, with an option switch to "install gust locks," bringing all controls to the "trail" position.Keep up the great work, and PLEASE hurry up with the FSX version of the amazing MAAM-SIM R4D package!
Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions.The centered control surfaces have more to do with the self-centering control devices most of us use - yokes, joysticks and rudder pedals. This feature is, of course, unrealistic, but because of the way FS handles trim - also unrealistically, by shifting the C.O.B. - you would never achieve hands-off trimmed flight without these springs. If you were to remove your yoke's springs, which I do not recommend, you would indeed be able to push the yoke forward to get out of your chair and the elevators would remain down. Likewise your rudder would stay where you left your unsprung pedals. You can see this by disabling the control devices and use the key commands for the control surfaces, as shown in this screenie.... Note the cocked rudder and drooping elevators. You are right about the wheel, though. It does spring back to center, and perhaps there is something that Jan can do about this. He may even be able to make the elevators sag by default when the engines are shut down. But it would not look very nice for them to suddenly snap into neutral position when the engines were started to match your centered yoke, either, and all the programming involved to overcome such FS default behaviors might be more trouble than it's worth.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest HoggyDog

Thanks for the great screenie! Other than the tailwheel, it looks exactly "right" to me. Also, I am bonking myself for not realizing that it's our own self-centering control devices causing the rudder & elevator "miraculous" centering problem. Thanks for reminding me.Any thoughts on the tire-smoke-at-liftoff issue?

Guest HoggyDog
Note the cocked rudder and drooping elevators. You are right about the wheel, though. It does spring back to center, and perhaps there is something that Jan can do about this. He may even be able to make the elevators sag by default when the engines are shut down. But it would not look very nice for them to suddenly snap into neutral position when the engines were started to match your centered yoke, either, and all the programming involved to overcome such FS default behaviors might be more trouble than it's worth.
I just had a thought about how the drooping elevators and cocked rudder (if appropriate, i.e. the aircraft was stopped mid-turn) could be handled in FS:1. All flight controls should remain in whatever position they are in when the Master switch (battery) is turned off. One way of accomplishing this would be to programmatically disconnect (or set an "ignore" flag) the FS-user's stick and rudder control devices when the Master is turned off. In that way, those of us who get warm fuzzies seeing droopy elevators and/or cocked rudders on the ramp can accomplish it by holding forward stick and right/left rudder when we turn the Master off, while those who couldn't care less about such trivia won't be bothered by the change at all. If the FS-default tailwheel auto-centering can be overridden, it should simply remain where it was when the aircraft was stopped regardless of any subsequent control or switch movement, as long as the aircraft is stopped.2. When the Master switch is turned back on (or the engines auto-started with Ctrl-E or by the Sim placing the a/c on the active runway with engines running), the elevators and rudder should be brought back into conformance with the FS-user's control devices without "sproinging" back to neutral- a one-second transition would be realistic and unnoticeable to those users who couldn't care less. In other words, "re-connect" (or un-ignore) the FS-user's elevator and rudder control devices over a one-second time interval any time the Master is turned back on via any means- the FS pilot explicitly turns it on OR the Sim implicitly turns it on by auto-starting the engines.Yes, I know. I should be able to find more useful stuff to obsess about. Slap me. :(