Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

PSS Dash ?

I have almost exclusively flown the PSS airbus since it's release. I think it's a wonderful package and clearly I'm a big fan of the airbus and it's systems. I'm considering purchasing the Dash but it's been hard to gage it's popularity amongst serious flyers by postings in these forums. I'm not asking if it's quality work by Pheonix as I am sure it is :-), but how do other airbus fans like flying the dash and does it now make up a substantial part of their flying ?Usually I would just buy it and try it but money is tight. I have just sold the condo and bought a new house so I will have the room for a home cockpit. Gee!! is this hobby getting expensive. :7ThanksSteveCYYZ

Guest flightpro08

Steve,I've also been a big fan of the PSS Airbus. In fact, I'm flying it on VATSIM as I type this (KATL-KMCO.) :-)I bought PSS' Dash-8 the day it came out and how been hooked. The visual model is second to none, the virtual cockpit and 2D panels are awesome, and the flight dynamics are fantastic. The FMC is also very nice, and has some great functions (like being able to use your keyboard to type in fixes and such into it.) I highly recommend it. :-)If you need any more specific info or screen shots, just let me know.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 41.09 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest Fortress

Yep - totally agree with flightpro08 here! I'm truely hooked too. "Practice makes perfect", and although not to degrade PSS' earlier releases, they do seem to be getting better with each and every release :-).Funny I should be posting this... earlier this evening I was taking the Dash out for a spin (EGLL-EDDF) and managed to catch the early dusk as I approached EDDF. How I was mesmerised at the lovely reflections!!!!! :-) :-)Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo

Guest PhilipManwaring

I agree too - love the bus and love the Dash. Flew it just this afternoon from EGCC to EGLL. Bad weather on approach blew me all over the place - really showed off the great flight model.Buy it - you'll like it a lot.

Guest Louis

First-what kind of simmer are you? If you not hard core yes the pss Dash is very good and it's just like some one took a digital camera and snapped the panels -absolutly stunning and flies well. But if you're really hard core the free one is way more functional, and also for flying by numbers I can take the real manual from Air C and go through every test and it works, do the start up piece by piece from the check list and it works. The sounds -the feathering - the sync- bringing back the props are incredible, if you have a subwoofer when you put the hammer down it's got sound like you've never heard- pss the sound is not near the same. If you don't have it confiqured right for take off the minute you throttle up the horn will keep sounding till you find out what you did wrong- pss don't sound-if you don't release the throttle lock for take off you won't get over 50% power -pss it don't function-if you go over the barber pole it will sound -pss won't -it has a tiller and can turn on the nose wheel -pss don't-you can turn on the hyd. -pss you can't-you can sync the props-pss you can't - If the 2 could be merged man would you have a prop job. i bought it and don't get me wrong i don't regret at all and i'm definitly not calling the product down and i use it lots but when i really want to do things like real world i use the free one---Louis

Yes, the freeware plane is nice, but the throttle response has never worked properly on my rig making landing virtually impossible and the view is so skewed because of the 4 columns of engine displays and the designers' insistence that everything be squeezed onto it that you really do feel like you are sitting on the jumpseat instead of the captain's seat. Line-up is almost impossible (assuming you have enough throttle response to actually fly the glide slope) unless you use the MSFS visual "V" on the windscreen (I like tell myself it's a smashed bug seeing as this is not a standard feature of most real planes), but it is so offset so far right from the primary flight instruments over what is the middle part of the glare shield, that you never quite get used to it. Your eyes and your brain never really agree with each other on whether you are flying or driving straight making take-offs ad visual approaches a real adventure. I have the same complaint about the PIC 767, which is otherwise excellent. Also, in an effort to squeeze every thing onto the panel, the Freeware Dash 8 panel is virtually unreadable. So, with regard to the freeware Daxh 8, systems realism yes, visual realism, a definite no. But its free - so for the price its an excellent effort and that means you can try it without losing anything other than the hour or so it will take you to walk through the systems. Too bad our payware folks don't release demos like the video game producers do - where the controls would go dead after 5 minutes ala X-Plane. So, I guess I am the "type" of simmer who is willing to pay money for an outstanding visual presentation and am far less interested in true fidelity to systems. MSFS is a flight simulator for me, not a systems simulator. I don't want to sit around for ten minutes waiting for the Inertial Navigation Unit to spin up, if you know what I mean. I guess I was spoiled by Fly! with its panning panels. The Dreamfleet 737 offers a good solution for the pilot's view problem - putting the primary flight displays where they belong, in the middle of your view with sub systems available on separate windows. If you have multiple monitors you can undock them and move them to the second screen - this works like a charm for the gear/flaps panel on approach and the FMC.Best, Colin

The DHC-8 is a great investment of a plane. It has the same level of functionality as, say, the Dreamfleet 737, but not quite as much as the PIC 767. It's just a hair less complex than the Airbus series are, as well. But in flight, it feels great - feels like a very lightweight heavy :). I fly lots of planes for my VA, and currently the DHC-8 is my favorite - nice, short, intimite flights, as opposed to endless miles of ocean or high-altitude thumb-twiddiling. A great choice for those who like airline flights who don't have hours to spare. External visuals are fantastic, and the internals are great too!All in all, a very good value of a plane. -Greg