Sign in to follow this  
Guest Calb

That old Sidewinder dance again.

Having just installed XP Pro on my system I have run across the famous "Yes, you have bought a Microsoft product, and yes you spent heaps on that Microsoft hardware, but they don't work together when you spend extra money on a Microsoft product like Flight Simulator 2002, and yes we know about it but we are not going to do anything about it because there is no money in it!" problem. (Note dripping sarcasm)Anyhow, some other programs can at least use the sidewinder as a non force-feedback joystick. Is there any workaround to at least get this to happen with FS 2002? (And yes, I have searched the forums and the archives) :)Any help appreciatedMark Underwood(Adelaide, Australia)

Guest Rob

Mark,Was it an upgrade or a clean install of XP?

According to Microsoft's Sidewinder web site, both the Precision 2 and the Force Feedback 2 joysticks are compatible with XP. I just replaced my Logitech joystick (the rudder failed) with a Precision 2 and it works perfectly (better than the Logitech Extreme Digital 3D even when it was new). All I did is plug it in and it was automatically recognized and calibrated by both XP and FS2002. If you have the FF2 stick, I sure wonder why you are having a problem.

Guest Rob

Now I've thought about it some more ... try completely uninstalling the sidewinder ... and then simply plug it in and let XP gather the necessary files on its own.

Upgrade, I have set up with a dual boot system. It seems the only way to use my joystick in 2002 is to run under Windows 98. There are several other programs that also only run in 98, but it is a bit annoying that Microsoft won't support their own hardware, especially as it works fine in the original Combat Flight Simulator running under XP. To thos others trying to help, thanks. Oh yeh, it in not a Force Feedback 2, it is the originaglThanks again peopleMark Underwood(Adelaide, Australia)

Guest Calb

You must not have held your mouth right while installing XP ....I'm in week 3 after a clean install of XP (upgrade version). I have BOTH FS2002 and FS2000 installed and both work perfectly with my 5-year-old FFB-1.After installing the FS's, I simply went to the WinXP Start|Control Panel|Game Controllers|Addscroll 'way down the list and click "Microsoft Sidewinder (AutoSelect)"then click OK. Shortly thereafter, it should show OK at the end of the line. Click OK and that should do it. I can't recall for certain, but I don't think you have to reboot.If it's of any interest, my sound card (with build in Midi/gameport) is an SB Live Value. System: AMD 1.33 Ghz/266mhzFSB, 256Mb RAM. GeForce3.Hope this is of some help.All the best in 2003Calhover long and prosperFor the best basic helo training on the internet, visit: http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htm