Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

ATC Sectors - strange hand-off

When approaching Narita (Japan) airport 16R, on occassion the ATC hand-off will go from Tokyo Approach to Nagoya approach, and then back to Tokyo approach again, and finally Narita Approach. Nagoya is no where near Tokyo. This seems to happen in the vacinity of RJTJ - about N35.47.64 E139.25.71. Anyone know why this might be happening? Is there a way to edit the sector files in FS2K2 to correct this?Thanks,Mark

If there such a program i would like to know too. Sometimes i have to contact airports that in reality only control till 2000 feet and this is very unrealistic :( Cheers and Happy new year

yes, you've noticed what I consider a big flaw in FS2002. When I fly into CYXU, which is london, in southwestern ontario, canada, I get handed off to "Moncton Centre". Moncton is about 500NM (at least) NE of london (it's approximately south of Gander, Newfoundland, which you may remember from the tragic events of September 11th, is where all the transatlantic traffic was routed to).....anyways... I don't know how to fix this bug. Surprisingly, Microsoft hasn't released any fixes for Fs2002 to my knowledge.

euhm,to my knowledge Moncton center does exist in real life and remeber it's a center,so it covers a whole lot of airspace,could be easily 500nm

Errr, maybe, but it stills unrealistic to fly an Airbus or Boeing to EGLL for example and have to contact GA airports :( regards

It's weird -- say you fly from Ottawa to Toronto, you'll get Moncton Centre for a while. Moncton Centre is nowhere near that route.Really, you might talk to Montreal for a moment and then get handed off to Toronto for the rest of the trip (I'm not a pilot, but I'm looking at the WAC). Anyways, I haven't heard of anyone cracking that bit of FS to fix it... yet.Best,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/A320_BigO_new.jpg

Atc boundries can be quite complex. I am not saying there might not be a problem-but I know early on there were similar complaints about SoCal approach. When I flew out there for real there were some very wierd handoffs that actually matched what fs did-and I had before this thought fs was probably buggy. In Michigan where I fly one can go at 7000 ft. or so across the state and never talk to a center (the chart will show Cleveland Center) but deal with the terminal services-e.g. fnt, lan, azo, and Grand Rapids. Head to the North though and after mbs you go to Minneapolis Center the rest of the flight north. Flying at a similar altitude ( typical GA altitudes) from Fnt to Knoxville, Tenn-again Fnt, lan, toledo,Ft. Wayne-then a series of switching from Ft. Wayne to Indy center-louisville or Cinci-Lexington-and then around Knoxville Atlanta center-only 2 centers for the whole route.I flew this summer from kfnt to Saratoga Springs, Ny going from kfnt to London, ont, Buffalo, and on. I was at 7000 ft. and dealt with London approach shortly after crossing the border (a brief encounter with Selfridge approach at the border)-then Toronto approach after passing London a ways until going to Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester,a military atc that I can't remember, and Albany-all terminal from that point on.To know for sure you would need some type of atc sector map-even though the low altitude ifr maps may show a particular center depending on your altitude you may be dealing with someone else who owns the airspace.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg

Geofa, I [like many FSimers] am not a real life pilot but I noticed on my real-world ATC radio scanner for my hometown airport (KMIA) that KMIA inbound aircraft always come in on MIA Center, then they are handed off to MIA Approach and finally to MIA Tower, that's it. When I fly the same approach on my FS2002 PIC767 aircraft using FS2002's ATC, I get handed off to Ft. Lauderdale Approach and Palm Beach Approach, something that just does not happen in real life. Fly on FS2002 to Orlando KMCO or the GA KORL airport and you will get handed off to TAMPA Approach when you're flying just 10 nm from KMCO, not realistic either.Anyway, for the $price$, FS2002 is a great deal, but the ATC could be less hyper active ;-)Regards from KMIA

I don't fly down there so I can't say. :-) However as Palm Beach appears to be class C airspace and Lauderdale lists several approach freqs they would control a certain area of airspace also depending on direction and altitude. What altitude were you at and where were you located?All I can say is I have flown from Michigan to the west coast 3 times -the southern, middle , and northern route. I of course fly at altitudes below 12,000 ft. -but duplicating these flights with fs atc the handoffs have been pretty accurate to what I experienced. With something as complex as this I am sure a few errors sneaked through-but I am pretty impressed.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg