Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Nvidia TI4600 Problem

Since installing a new TI4600 at Xmas I have spent six days installing and uninstalling six sets of drivers to cure a lock-up problem. All drivers have been fully removed including registy entries.The problem is a partial lock-up of FS2K2 when I enable anti-alaising, either in the game or under the Geforce settings tab. It causes the red fps and co-ordinates text to develop a dropped shadow, the alt and esc keys won't work, they only pause the sim and I have to ctrl + alt + del to get out. This happens with a new default FS2002.cfg file and the driver settings at default, nothing fancy turned on.This happens with the 3082, 3087 and 4109 drivers. I have been running nicely for over 12 months with an ATI 32Mb Rage and am just about to re-install it and bin the 4600. I have proved it loads of times.System is: MSI Ultra2 mobo, Athlon 2000XP, 512Mb ddram, Hansol 19" monitor (tried at 60-100Mhz and various resolutions) and Win XP Home.Could someone please make my new year a happy one?CheersBaz

When I first installed my ATI Radeon 7500, enabling Anti-aliasing also caused bugs and lock-ups. I got the feeling that FS2002 can't handle anti-aliasing very well, but I may be totally wrong, just letting you know it may (repeat MAY) not be your card causing the problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Katana, thanks for the reply but I have had AA on with the ATI rage for 12 months with no problems.Baz

HI, I've got a GF4 4200 and this is what works for me..disable AA in FS and enable it in the GF display properties.Use 1200x960x32 bit color.Stay with 30.82 drivers..

Bert

Guest PaulL01

Sounds like you may have some driver "leftovers" from your previous card. Make a back up of your Registry, then do a search for "ATI" and simply delete any and all ATI keys that show up, re-boot and re-install your favorite Nvidia driver.Or, you might have a "dirty" or weak power supply. GF4TI cards need lots of power, what PS do you have? Can you provide a list of all your hardware including all your drives?

BertThank you your tip worked but I did read this tip by accident in another thread about an hour ago. I also read on Guru3D that the 3082 drivers were the last 100% ones. Nvidia really aught to get their act together. What with all these versions of drivers and the inability of WinXP to uninstall them this week has been a nightmare.PaulMany thanks for the tips. For the record I have a fairly new 300W PS and unlike Nvidia, ATI had no trouble removing itself.The present situation is:Running without AA is OK.AA activated from FS2K2 causes lock-ups.In the Geforce Properties Tab 4X S(direct 3D only) and 4X WORK OK.Quincunx and 2X caused lock-ups.Have set bios up as per Creative's Knowledge base, to no effect. I will probably go back to bios and change AGP back to 4X at present it is on 1X, or would Auto be better. Not sure about "fastwrites".Once again, thank you,Baz P.S. A permenant cure for this would be nice because I need to turn AA on and off in the game when using stereo. Stereo was not present during this problem.

eeerr?? I'm not too well up on chipset drivers. My motherboard is an MSI KT3 Ultra2 which says the chipsets are Via KT333 and Via VT8235. the KT333 is for the AGP 4X but how do I find my current version?Baz

Guest jase439

Things you need to do:1. Uninstall all your drivers2. Run the nVidia "driver" scrubber from www.guru3d.com3. Install nVidia WHQL Reference Drivers 41.094. Set FSAA to 2x IN THE DRIVER CONTROL PANEL (turn FSAA OFF inside FS).5. UNCHECK Texture Sharpening6. Set Anisotropy Levels to NONE7. Set the DRIVER PERFORMANCE CONTROL to BalancedCheers,J

Jase, many thanks for the reply but I am becoming more confused by the minute. Re your points:2. If you mean the Detinator Destroyer then this is not for WinXP. If not, I haven't seen this driver scrubber.3. I have tried the 41.09 drivers. these were the first to be installed on my new card and gave problems. I am also reluctent to persevere with the 4109's because I need the stereo and there are no stereo drivers to support them.4. 2X and Quincux don't work, they cause the lock-ups. 4X and 4XS are OK.5. Not seen this one.6. Hmm a guy on another thread has just recommended Anisotropic Filtering at 8X but on or off it dosen't seem to alter or effect performance.7. Not seen this one so will have a look at 7 and 5.I now seem to have the 3082 graphics and the 3082 stereo drivers working OK eccept for not being able to control AA in FS2K2 which I will have to live with. Perhaps I will now start to move up the driver scale slowly as I can always return to the 3082'sActually the concensus seems to be that the 3082's were the most stable of all the versions and to stick with them, but I think they also said this about Windows 3.1.CheersBaz

Guest ozhero

And I think I know your problem..AA is not designed to work with the stereo drivers.. If you have stereo enabled you should have AA disabled....Hope this helps...

Ozero, sorry but if you read the P.S. at the bottom of one of my posts you will see that stereo was not present during these problems and I do realise that it needs to be off. Thank you anyhow.My problems have been compounded by fitting a new Geforce card and the eDimensional glasses at the same time. I think that I now have them both sorted to "as good as it gets" status, but it has been quite a steep hill.FS2K2, Geforce and Antialaising are obviously not a good combination. At the moment it is 4X AA or non at all and can't be controlled from within the sim but I've lived with worse.The upside is that I can pass all of this on to the next poor sod with Geforce blues.CheersBaz

I have a ti4600 and have had no problems. I'm running the same stuff as you except I run XP Pro. I'm using nvidia 4072 drivers with the 40 series stereo drivers. No problems with either the e-dimension 3d glasses or msfs 2002. I'm also running directX 9. Make sure before you install new drivers you completely remove the old ones. Also make sure your sound card and monitor are setup to accept XP. If all eles fails check out IRQ's to make sure there are no conflicts. This video card is absolutely wonderful so don't give up.Capt.Mac

Your problem is caused by the combination of 1. SP1 of windows XP and2. Your version of detonator driver.Go and get the 42.01 driver from guru3d.com and start flying.The blurring of the text will still be there if you have:Texture sharpening or Anisotropic filtering enabled.ALT to get the menu etc. will work fine Norvald Olsvold

Guest jase439

4x is what I use and I am pleased with it. Quincunx gave me fits after upgrading to XP SP1. I would definitely leave Anistropic Filtering OFF unless you want your sim to run at a snail crawl. If you want to use anisotropic filtering, I would recommend you go up to a screen resolution of 1600x1200x32, ditch FSAA entirely, and then apply 2x or 4x Anisotropic Filtering. 8x is a performance dog and if you have Texture Sharpening enabled also (40.7x and later) it will cause the card to drop texture filtering altogether - VERY BAD.As far as I know, the 30.82's are the last drivers to have proper Stereo support, but are not fully XP SP1 compatible. Since Windows XP SP1 was released, I have yet to find a fully functional release of the nVidia drivers. Alas. I'm using the 41.09's but definitely "custom tweaked" for FS.The 30.82's were probably the best-of-breed all-around drivers up until XP SP1, however, so if you can get something working with those drivers, you should probably stick with them.Cheers,J