Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Nvidia TI4600 Problem

Jase439, interesting , your remark about Texture Sharpening because I can see no difference between 8X Aisotropic and non, fps wise or picture quality. Trouble is I can't find a Texture Sharpening control anywhere. Where is it?Everyone else, thanks for all the help and I have saved the post for reference. Funny how various drivers and settings cause different problems on each machine.I have always kept up todate with the latest drivers and have never had any problems running the last four versions of Flightsim on ATI cards.As I have already said, my problem is compounded by needing to run the stereo and the drivers for this are not keeping up with the main drivers. I agree Norvold that I should be running the 42.01's but then the stereo goes out the window.Thank god for sites like this.The TS control, anybody? :-doh CheersBaz

What is you AGP set at? Try reducing it to say 4X, then 2X. If this resolves the hang problem (9 out of 10 times it will), then you most likely have a driver issue with you're motherboard chipset. I would suggest VIA4in1 ver 4.43. Version 4.45 I did not have much luck with.

Guest jase439

In the 40.7x drivers, it was on the FSAA tab. In the 41.xx series it's on the "Performance and Quality Settings" page just below Anisotropic Filtering. Not sure about the 42.xx series since I don't have them installed.This option isn't present in previous versions of the drivers (thankfully!).What this check box does is silently double your level of anisotropy (or sets it to 2x, if your AF slider is set to OFF). Some people have tried setting AF to 8x and checking this box only to find that all texture filtering goes away. The landscape is grainy. Autogen scenery looks like a pair of orthogonal black billboards and the text is drawn against a black matte. The reason for this is because doubling 8x, kicks the card into 16x - which is unsupported on the GF4. The result of this overflow condition is that all texture filtering goes to he**.XP SP1 really screwed up the GF4 drivers - that's all there is to it. When SP1 was first released, you couldn't use FSAA at all on a GF4. You can roll back SP1, or hack around the issues until nVidia and Microsoft get the issues sorted out.J

Jase, thanks for the gen. My 3082's don't know about all this then so I'll just go and have a strong cup of tea.:-beerchug Cheers Baz

Guest vas_yan

Hello everyone, very interesting thread here, so I'd like to add my own experience on this recurring issue of AA behaving badly in FS (this includes reports of things like blurry text on menus, FSNAv problems, FS freezing when closing a window such as pedestal, throttle etc and various others...).I have had no problems whatsoever until last week, I kept updating the Detonators with most of the new releases and all was well. However when after at least four months of M/P inactivity I tried to run HostSB from within FS2K2 the simulator crashed. When I restarted it I noticed all sorts of weird things on my monitor. These include the ones that i mentioned above as well as others e.g. Antialiasing would just not work despite being set to Quinqunx with RIva Tuner. I installed DX9 which didn't help;then I tried experimenting with different driver versions (40.72, 41.03, 41.09 etc) to no avail. As a matter of fact a fresh install of drivers would only sort this problem only for the first use of FS. Second one, back to problems. Deleting FS2002.cfg did not help either, so I tried experimenting with changing driver variables through Riva Tuner on the fly, this means I was ALT-ENTERing out of the sim, changing a setting and then back in to see the results.My results are as follows: As has been said above changing to 4x AA seems to cure this however if you do not want to take the performance hit, once you set 4x and see that AA is actually aplied in the sim you can then revert to quinqunx or anything else. In my computer this will fix it. Two things to keep in mind ,first this is not a permanent fix, meaning that every time I start FS I have to actually start a flight and then apply the aforementioned changes. Second the sim is very sensitive to any change you might make to the display quality.If after applying this I go and ,say, switch off Mipmapping, I am in trouble again and Turning Mipmapping on again will not suffice, I have to redo the whole routine.This all sounds like a huge compromise but I am afraid I am unable to provide a better solution and I would really be grateful to the person who would provide a permanent fix to this (not including redoing a 14Gb FS install!).Sorry for the length,

Guest jase439

One other detail...some mobo's really hate AGP sideband addressing, so if you continue to get lockups I recommend you use RivaTuner to turn this feature off. The performance boost attributed to sidebanding is very minimal if at all noticeable.J