Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

ActiveSky wxRE and Skyworld 2002 SE....Configuration?

Guest ScottPilot

Hello!OK, I need a bit of help from those of you using both ActiveSky wxRE and Skyworld 2002SE.First, let me just say that I love both of these programs. They really enhance the flight sim experience and have even improved my overall performance of the sim.Now, I have read several posts in this forum about using these programs together, but I am still a bit confused.So here are my questions:1) Do I have to keep the Skyworld program running with FLight Simulator and ActiveSky in order to get the different cloud effects? First I set the random option in Skyworld to on. Then I edited the clouds.ini file so that the auto-refresh option is set to off. Here is a snipit from the cloud.inin file:******************************************************************'FSUIPC, If on, and auto install is activated, each time thats you heard the sound for the auto install, 'the weather will be cleared for couple of second, depend on your setting from 'WaitTimeAfterClear= Xsec and the weather will reapears like before with new clouds set most of the time.[AutoRefresh]RefreshCloud=offWaitTimeAfterClear=20IncTime=15DecTime=15'Same as AutoRefresh for auto install, but for the install button, off by default.[AutoRefreshByInstallButton]RefreshCloud=offWaitTimeAfterClear=20IncTime=15DecTime=15*******************************************************************I noticed that there are two "RefreshCloud" lines. Is this set correctly? I set the RefreshCloud option to OFF as suggested in another post. This is supposed to allow ActiveSky to pick the cloud set to use. IS THIS TRUE?2) Are there any other other things that I need to do with regards to configuring both SkyWorld and FSUIPC to get the most out of the program when using Activesky wxRE?I really like these two programs and any suggestions on how to get the most out of both of them together (setting them up) would be greatly appreciated!Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!!!!Scott :-beerchug

I use Skyworld SE and am on the wxRE beta team, so here we go. First lets talk about Skyworld(SW). SW is mostly a prog for loading cloud texture packs. From your post you have things set up right. The random feature will load different cloud sets each time you run it and choose the random button. After a run go ahead and shut it down. In fact there is a line in the .ini to automatically close it down once FS starts. I use it and it works. Do not use auto refresh for anything. VSky works but the dark texture line bothers many users.wxRE will use whatever cloud textures are loaded into FS. It will not pull textures from another program or location. Use the FSUIPC settings that came with wx and then adjust them as you see fit. The suggested settings were put together by the team during testing. In FS adjust your cloud setting to 70% for SW clouds, 100% for default clouds.Hope this helps. Post more ?s if you need more info.

Guest ScottPilot

OK, thanks very much. I will leave things set as they are. I just wasn't sure if I had it right.Thanks again, and Happy New Year!!!!!Scott :-)

Hi Scott,apart from not using the random feature with FS running, as previously suggested, I would also advise against using VSky, the reason being that it uses a bitmap that ActiveSky relies on to display cirrus clouds on occasions. This can lead to the strange result that everything below you appears deep blue, as if you're flying upside down (You can't see the ground). If you have the virtual sky from Sky World installed, you can remove it by installing another VSky set, noting down the name of the bitmap that SkyWorld is installing, then search for the same bitmap on the FS CD (I think it's CD1), and overwrite the VSky one with the default.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks, I agree. I don't use V-Sky myself. I don't like the way it looks as much.I have the checkbox in FSUIPC "cleared" (not selected) for the V-Sky option.I did however have one more question that I thought of last night. Why is it suggested to use 70% cloud density as oppossed to the cloud density being set to 100%?Is it for performance reasons or for the "whispyness" of the clouds?I tried both settings and noticed no real performance difference on my system. The smoothness of the sim and frame rates are the same. However, with the lower desity setting of 70%, I can "see through" many of the clouds. With "heavy" weather, I'm not sure if I like it as much when I can see right through a cumulus cloud or cumulonibus (t-storm) cloud, as I approach it.Your opinions?Thanks!Scott :-)