Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Please post your tips here!

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!When preparing a flight plan to an airport without an ILS after all waypoints have been created I zoom in on the destination airport till all runways become visible. This usually first happens when the range from top to bottom is about seven miles. I create another waypoint 6-7 miles from the destination runway that lines up closely with runway heading (as shown by the red line). Since the airport waypoint centers on midfield I zoom in much closer and place a waypoint at my plannned touchdown point. I cross the 6-7 mile waypoint at 2000' AGL. I then do the following calculation for a 3 to 1 glideslope: Take groundspeed (easily found on GPS), drop the last digit, divide by half 90 kts= 9= 4.5 and move the decimal point two places to the right. Thus my descent rate should be 450 FPM if I ramain at 90 knots. This trick also works well for descents from cruise. 250 knots= 25= 2500 FPM descent to acheive 3 to 1 glide slope. Of course when I get closer I look at VASI if available and try to keep the runway at the same spot in my windshield. If it starts to rise I am too low and if it lowers I am high.ATTENTION KEN: This method would work much better if I could use the OBS feature and reduce CDI scale sensitivity but I can't. Are these TRI bugs or am I doing something wrong???:-wave

G'day Donny,A 3 to 1 glideslope ?? Where are you getting this figure from? A typical glideslope is only 3 degrees. I haven't got a set of trig tables handy so I can't give an exact gradient.450 ft per min @ 90 kts = 1 in 20.27 glideslope. Your second example has a math error; should be 1250 ft./min.250 kts = 25 = 12.5 = 1250 ft per min. = 1 in 20.27 glideslope.Whilst having a simple rule of thumb is great for general purpose flying work it is not really going to cut the mustard when it comes to precision appproaches. After all, that's why ILS came into existance in the first place!If the runway has a localiser (but no ILS) then sure you could use the AP to capture the localiser (runway heading) and your rule of thumb to manually control the descent. Just allow reasonable minimums as there will almost certainly be a bit of adjustment required (using the VASI lights) on short final.Cheers,Roger

G'day Donny,> This method would work much better if I could>use the OBS feature and reduce CDI scale sensitivity but I>can't. Are these TRI bugs or am I doing something>wrong???:-wave Mate have you tried using the Cessna GPS for your approach? The CDI scale sensitivity in this instrument is selectable to either 5nm , 1nm , or 0.3 nm Cheers,Roger

Guest Shalomar

For 3 to one, I meant traveling 3 miles for every 1,000 feet of altitude loss. I'll try out the CDI on the Cessna.Thanx.:-wave

Guest Fly II Pilot

Good day all,I'd like to invite you to visit, and contribute to, a new Wiki web site devoted to the Fly! series. What is a Wiki? "Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and crosslinks between internal pages on the fly." (wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki)Open, public forums like this one are great for asking questions and sharing information, but message threads tend to be transient, and even with a good search engine, information tends to get lost over time. A Wiki site does not have the kind of dynamic interaction you see here, but it attempts to organize and preserve information in a much more permanent way. And the best thing (from my point of view) is that once set up, there is very low maintenance burden on the owner since the content is provided by YOU, the user community. I have been adding some technical design information that I've gathered over the years, but there is ample opportunity for EVERYBODY to contribute something. Check it out, and feel free to create an account and start adding whatever content you think is relevant. Don't be shy -- there is no need to ask permission or seek approval for anything you add. Others may correct or add to what you say, or I may make some editing changes if necessary, but the whole idea is that the Wiki is an open communication forum.The URL is:http://flylegacy.dyndns.org/twiki/bin/viewIf you are new to Wiki's in general, or to the Twiki software that drives the site, check out the "TWiki" section for documentation. The "Sandbox" section is meant as a garbage area to experiment, and the "Fly" section is of course the Fly! repository. The "Main" section is mostly site administration stuff, you probably won't need to worry about that too much.Have a look, please be patient if the site is slow, or down from time to time, it is just running on one of my personal machines and I'm not always around to keep an eye on it.Enjoy...Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest rayzo

hello!sorry for my bad english. i have a big fly!2 problem. after starting fly!2 and choose the graphik options, the screen flicker substantial. Only when i choose directx7 there is no flicker. but then, the frames and the graphik is very very bad.i have fly!2 version 2.5.240i use winxp sp2 with an ati x1600 graphik cardthank you for helping me!