Sign in to follow this  

New guy wantts some advice and suggestions

Hello, I am brand new to Flight Simulator. I just bought 2002 and it's the first one I've ever had unless you count some arcade style air combat games. I came to Flight sim via the Train sim route of all things! After spending the money to build a new computer worthy of running MSTS at a decent graphic level and frame rate I decided to buy Flight sim. I downloaded a route for MSTS from here so naturally it's the first place I came after getting Flight simulator. I'm looking for some suggestions on a couple of things. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good files from the library for someone just starting out. Either aircraft or scenery or any other type of add on that may be helpful. Also, I'm looking into getting a better joystick than I have now. I can't spend huge bucks but I was wondering what's out there that's good for Flight sim and would maybe run in the 50 to 60 dollar range. It's been forever since I bought a joystick so I'm a little out of touch on what's available and prices. Thanks for any help you guys could provide. I hope to soon be a contributing member of this community. It looks great and I'm having a ball with the Flight sim!Regards,Michael

Guest sunstriker

Welcome Sky dancerHmmm.tough question there are a vast number of files..but lets see yep go to the file library and look at files downloaded this month, thatll give you an idea. If you have reasonable spec computer get the Falcon 70/100 its simply fantastic as freeware.Scenery is a matter of taste but theres loads to chose from..Go to www.maltbyd.fsnet.co.uk for older aircraft BUT follow links to FSGateway there youll find most links to major sites.Have a look at the weather add ons to such as Activesky, and FSW for clouds.Joystick, I would earch for reviews on the main sites or GAoogle.I use a #10 F15 stick for 4 years never failed lolGood LuckSun

My use of a joystick is exclusively for MS FS2002 so my needs are simple. I had a Logitech Extreme Digital 3D joystick that I got 3 years ago with my "old" system, but the rudder control started failing. I did a lot of research on the internet reading hardware reviews, user opinions, etc. about all joysticks, both force feedback and non-force feedback. I read user opinions about FF vs Non-FF in FS2002 as well. I came to the conclusion that the joystick to try was Microsoft's Precision 2 (non-FF). I found it on the web for $39.95 with free shipping at Amazon and similar prices elsewhere, but decided to first try one out so I bought it for $49.95 at my local Best Buy. I love it! It feels light and cheap, but it is smooth and precise so I'm keeping it. Not going to go through the hassle of returning it for refund, ordering it online and risking the chance of a defective product etc etc.Yes, this is a lengthy opinion, but I hope it's worth more to you than just posting "MS Sidewinder Precision 2".

Guest Lindy

I use a Saitek Cyborg 3D USB stick that I like very much. It's completely configurable for left/right handers, large or small hands (like mine), with programmable buttons.I would also suggest you get a set of rudder pedals (especially if you decide to fly helicopters).As was mentioned, there's a TON of plane and scenery addons out there depending on what kind of flying you decide you want to do. I personally fly strictly GA craft and helicopters with the bush flying crowd. You may want to check out the freeware or payware land classe and mesh terrain files that are available.I don't normally recommend payware stuff, but Lago's FSSoundScape program makes a wonderful addition. Go to the LagoOnline website. The program is only around ten bucks. It allows you to assign .wav files to your scenery areas -- airport noises, traffic noises, nature sounds, people sounds, any type of .wav file. VERY effective.Good luck and Welcome to the World of Flight Simming-Lindy :-wave

Guest sunstriker

ErrSmall correction to my postFor Falcon read Fokker Sun

Hi and Welcome.I'll just give you my must haves. I fly low and slow in GA aircraft.1-Siai Marchetti sf260-Realairsimulations (THE BEST)2-Piper Super Cub- FSD-international 3-FSNav 4.51 FSNavigator4-ActiveSky wxREThe above are payware.5-FSUIPC- freewareAnd for whenever I feel the need for HEIGHT.6-Falcon 50- freeware (FANTASTIC)Bill