Sign in to follow this  

OT: Floppy Drive (Upgrade Question)

I've seen alot of upgrade questions lately. I have one, but it's a bit different.I'm building a new system. I've already got everything picked out, I'm just waiting for the prices to drop a little more before buying. It won't really be an upgrade because the only thing I'm keeping from my current system is the CDRW.I'm not planning on putting a floppy drive in the new system. The last time I used this one is when I flashed my BIOS. That is my question. How will I flash the BIOS without a floppy? I thought about burning the ROM to a bootable CDRW, but I haven't played with it yet. Any ideas?I still have FS 4.0 on a 720k floppy, I guess I just won't play it on the new system. :)

Guest Joshieca

>I've seen alot of upgrade questions lately. I have one, but >it's a bit different. >>I'm building a new system. I've already got everything >picked out, I'm just waiting for the prices to drop a little >more before buying. It won't really be an upgrade because >the only thing I'm keeping from my current system is the >CDRW. >>I'm not planning on putting a floppy drive in the new >system. The last time I used this one is when I flashed my >BIOS. That is my question. How will I flash the BIOS >without a floppy? I thought about burning the ROM to a >bootable CDRW, but I haven't played with it yet. Any ideas? >>I still have FS 4.0 on a 720k floppy, I guess I just won't >play it on the new system. :) Depending on your motherboard you might be able to flash the bios via windows...but other than that you usually need to be in DOS for the bios to flash right...a bootable CD will almost always be in windows or have a windows dos on it.Spend the $10 and get a floopy! :)[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day

You can set your BIOS to boot the CD Rom first, that might allow you to use a CD instead of a floppy... However, if I were you, I would spend the extra 10 bucks on a cheapo floppy drive....Cpudan80 :) :+

Guest WorkingStiff

Why not simply recycle the floppy drive you currently have?

The reason I'm not putting a floppy in the new system is mostly because I don't want one of those butt ugly dinasaur drives sticking out of my beautiful new polished aluminum case. :D

Guest WorkingStiff

Well just make sure you have the best antivirus and antitrojan software installed and updated regularly because one day you may have to run a "rescue" disk.

I think I'd just install the floppy inside the case and out of sight, secured by nylon ties. If the need actually arises that you must use it, open the case and bring it out, closing the case lightly over the ribbon and power cables.

If your motherboard supports it, and if you can find one at a suitable price, how about buying a USB floppy drive? That way you could attach it when needed without opening your PC case. Best of luck,