Sign in to follow this  

Mans most feered question....which should I upgrade?!

Guest obk

Ok. It's time for an upgrade. My current system specs are as follows:- Duron 800- 256SDRAM Pc133- GeForce 2 MXWhat I get so far, with max settings and FPS locked at 15fps is blurry graphics, and around 12FPS. 10FPS with AntiAliasing. This is with 1024x768 in full screen mode.What I want is 15FPS with AntiAliasing, and sharp graphics.I have been looking at either getting another 256RAM with an XP1800 OR getting a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card.It's either one or the other, which one should I get? Any comments much appreciated

You need to go with the RAM and faster CPU. Changing the video card and keeping the 800 just won't get you where you want to be. Even with the limitations of the MX card, the 1800 should get you to 15 with 2X FSAA. But the blurries are another issue...no way to predict that one.Trip

Guest Coneman

I just upgraded from an Athlon 700 to an XP1700. All sliders now maxed except for mesh detail at about 80. I locked frame rate at 18 (conservative) and stay there, except at large airports, which don't seem to go below 10, even at the new Kansai. Graphics stay as sharp as my TNT2 32mg card will allow. Also have 512RAM.HTHTodd

Guest obk

RAM and cPU it is then... :) cheers

Don't know how much you want to spend but I had the 133 bus, upgraded from Athlon 900 with 768 MB 133 ram to a KT333 mobo,($100) 256 Mb 333 ddr PC2700 ram($70)AMD XP2000+ ($100)2001 SE was 2200.Installed the TI 4200 / 64 Mb ddr ram ($130)and went to 9,160, installed the 41.09 nvidia drivers and was up to 9,900 with NO overclocking.Rock solid 25 fps with most maxed out except vis and mesh