Sign in to follow this  

Verdict on PSS Airbus series?

I'm thinking of buying the Airbus from PSS. Would any of you who have this package please let us know how you like it, and what configuration you've purchased? I have some time off for the holidays, and I feel like getting something new to fly. Thanks, Stan

Happy New Year Stan !It is the best add-on Airbus period. Great frame rates on my P-iv 1.7and GeForce 3 card. Outstanding VC and excellent job done on the model. It is important to download all the manuals etc, before buying to prepare you for quite a complex aircraft to fly. The customer support is unbelievable! Buy it!! You will NOT be disappointed.CheersWayne

Like what Wayne said it is by far the best airbus add-on. I get good framerates on a PIII 1 ghz with 512ram, and geforce 2 64mgs. Understanding the aircraft is a must so read the manuals thoroughly. However I have to warn you that in order to enjoy this aircraft you have to like flight computers. At 100 ft. you engage the autopilot and allow it to climb, cruise, descend, and land. It can become kind of boring if you are used to navigating on your own. With that said, it is truly a great add-on.Hope this helps,Dave

>At 100 ft. you engage the autopilot and allow it to climb, cruise, descend, and land. It can become kind of boring if you are used to navigating on your own.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Well, I am hooked on this sim. This is by far the best I have ever flown. The learning curve is very steep. Make sure you do all of the tutorials. It took me about 10-20 hours of flying to get comfortable with the FMC, and I am still learning. I have an Athalon XP 1800+, 768 DDR RAM, GeForce 440mx and I am getting frame rates of about 20-30. I also am running ServInfo, ActiveSky, BridgeAI (for the TCAS). If you have any questions feel free to email me.Kevin ConlonvJetBlue[ttp://www.vn7network.com/vjblue/]

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

I agree with all the other posts. If you are interested in the Airbus philosophy, then this is definitely an addon to buy.Of course, as one said, you can fly the plane manually like a Boeing, but this is really not what it's made for.As for which package, I bought the download version from PSS site. Only 15 pounds, compared to about $50 for a CD package (with video, and some liveries I think).Eric.

Gosta,I agree that the airbus can be hand flown however as Eric pointed out that it was not made for that reason. The autopilot was made extremely well for a reason. So to say again, to truly get a realistic experience out of the PSS Airbus package be prepared for autopilot flight.

I don't have it but I asked a real Airbus pilot who tried this product and he told it definitely does not handle like real Airbus - it is a Boeing in Airbus clothing. Michael J.

I knew that to fly the best "fly by wire" plane out there, you'd have to be prepared to learn the AP system as it applies to Airbus. I will do it. I'll buy the plane and start my education on this plane. Appreciate your input. Stan

Guest Stratus_Fractus

My verdict is that it's quite good, a few bugs, but the best Airbus addon. However, how many Airbus addons are there?

>I don't have it but I asked a real Airbus pilot who tried >this product and he told it definitely does not handle like >real Airbus - it is a Boeing in Airbus clothing. >But.......................Was the real Airbus pilot, a qualified MSFS pilot???????It SERIOUSLY does make a difference! Being use to the interfaces, & controls has a lot to do with perceptions.L.Adamson --- just love this real looking PSS Airbus pic

Ahhhhhhhhhh! Get yourself a nice ole' 152 or Tomohawk and do some REAL flying!!Heh, I have the Airbus and it is terrific! Good luck with it!-----------------------------------------------Jeff M.

Guest jase439

If you're looking for "the" absolute Airbus simulation, this is probably not it (and you'll be hard pressed to find one). However, the PSS offering will give you a healthy dose of life in the bus. It's a fun plane to fly, it handles well, and many (but not all) of the major systems have been modelled in some form or another. From what I've seen it's the best offering out there. Liveries are a bit pricey...if you want liveries, buy in bulk (or buy the boxed version) at the time you purchase - you'll get a substantial discount if you do.If you're an eyecandy junkie and live life from spot view, the visual model is a jaw dropper. The textures and gmax models are some of the best in the industry. PSS has traditionally done very well in this area.J

I purchased the product about three months ago and had nothing but problems with it. The worst being that it would continally crash out to the windows desktop. I attempted to get some technical support but none was forth comming. It appears from the pss forums that this is a problem when running windows 98 that has yet to be resolved.The other main problem i had was that it seemed incapable of saving flight data correctly. When reloading a saved flight, all of the fmc flight data would have to be re-entered - from scratch !!!I eventually gave up and just took it back to the shop that i bought it from and got a full refund. I now use the superb a320 available free from project airbus (www.project-airbus.com) which, graphically, i believe to be as good pss's offering. Although the 2d panel i use can't compete with pss's, over all, this has proven an excellent setup that cost me nothing and never crashes (well back to the desktop anyway...)Gary