Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

wind

Guest slydon

I wonder if anyone else thinks this way. It seems to me that the wind has NO effect in this sim. I fly small planes all the time and should be bumped around some by wind but no matter how I set it I see no difference and atc still gives me clearance to the same runway even though I would be having a strong tailwind. Anyway it seems to make no difference. Don

Get ActiveSky's wxRE. i bought it a coupla weeks ago & I have plenty of "problems" w/wind. I was flying the Baron 58 this last weekend from STL to MDW & I hit major turbulance around 5000 ft going through clouds. I was doing around 160 knots when my a/c broke up from overstress. It was cool!! LOL. Now I have to be concerned about my airspeed when traveling through turbulance. It's around $15 & is worth it!George

hi also if you haven't got it,download Activecamera pro.this enhances the "bumps" when flying in turbulance..its a small freeware program but its top of my must have list.. best wishes steve http://www.anticyclone.be/active.html

Guest Jet

Is there a frame rate hit with Activesky?Thanks.

Guest A32X

Is there anyway I can get more realistic wind on final ? I know I could create wind layers myself and add gusts but the winds in FS2002 feel to "regular?" One can almost predicted when the wind will drop and rise again. I'd love to see a wind program that adds windshear and gusts and models the wind with gain in altitude more realisticly.Take a look at this video, http://194.65.6.250/mbs/files/TAP1902-27122002.zip

Guest slydon

I guess what you are saying is that there is no way to change the default winds right? I probably will try this program you mention although it seems like every time I install some kind of program my sim gets screwed up, maybe I will anyway. Don

I must be playing a different sim LOL because I have had many flights where the wind and gusts are so bad I have a really hard time landing even a jet! I usually download the real weather in FS2002, globally, not sure if it defaults to this or what, but I usually just click that before each flight and I always get great and CHANGING weather as I fly..Jeff

I wouldn't have wanted to be a passenger on that plane! Ouch!

Guest odog

I was flying a single engine prop into Price Rupert Island last night with Active Sky, and was faced with 65mph winds on final. I think the winds are fantastic. It was scary from VC view w/ ACP. I remember a flight a few weeks ago where the wind shifted on final and slammed my aircraft into the ground from 100'. If you want great winds get Active Sky... I dont know if its "realistic" but it sure is fun.joe

I am using FS2k2, Squakbox w/VATSIM, Roger Wilco, & ActiveSky wxRE on 1 machine & I have experinced no reduction in frame rates. I am using a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz, 512Meg RDRam, geforce 3 w/64 meg ram.George

Guest Smiley

That video reminds me of a flight I did in a C152 in September of 2002. Scaled down a bit though ;)

Get a nice crosswind, and the sim will do quite a realistic job of weathervaning just after the wheels leave the ground. Just make sure you leave the ground abrubtly!L.Adamson