Sign in to follow this  
Guest shoe

Space Sim and XP

Guest shoe

Does MS Space Sim work on XP?Charlie

Guest cwright

Charlie, yes, it works fine on Windows XP. It's a beautiful simulator.... Best regards, Chris

Guest gls46

What is the secret to getting it to work? I have loaded it and it simply will not get past the Microsoft logo at the front. Are you set for 256 colors only or is the higher color settings OK. Does it need to be run in 16 bit? Do you run it from the DOS prompt? I just cant make it work. Thanks

Guest cwright

Sorry to hear that! It works just like any other Windows program, no need to run it from DOS. You can run it by double-clicking on Orbiter.exe or from an icon in the usual way. After clicking you should see the Orbiter launchpad, where you set all the options and choose a scenario to run. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'the Microsoft logo at the front'. You shouldn't see any Microsoft logo at all! It could be useful to know your system details, but as far as I know it should run on pretty well any common configuration. You could try the main Orbiter forum, there'll be a lot more expertise there....http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html Best regards, ChrisP.S. it just occurred to me that you might see a Microsoft error message of some kind if your icon is pointing at an incorrect location. To eliminate this, try double clicking directly on Orbiter.exe in the Orbiter folder.

Guest jmarcure

Hi,I was never able to get it to work on XP, 2000, or 98.In anycase Orbiter is a better sim than MS Space sim. Although MSSS had a few features that I wish Orbiter had.Jon

Guest gls46

Im Sorry Chris,We are apparently talking Apples and Oranges here. The question was about Microsofts Space Simulator, not Orbitor. Orbitor works just fine, it is MS Space Simulator I cant get to work. Thanks anyhow. If anyone out there knows the secret to making the the original Space Simulator work on a Dell 8300 Series with a preforma 9800 card, please let me know. Been trying and it will not work. Gil Strickland

Guest cwright

Ooops......... Best regards, Chris

Guest Beoween

It will work in XP.....I didn't even think anyone else had the original MS Spacesim.You have to set the compatibilty parameters in XP.First....load the sim....then go to the directory and right click on either of the Spacesim executable files (Spacesim or SS1).Click properties and that will bring up the compatibility setup screensClick compatibility and make your adjustments as needed....also go to the memoryarea and set up that...all you need there is to set everything to auto for XMS. This, by the way , will work for pretty much all of the old DOS games....I have no idea why this procedure is kept secret.Enjoy...!

Guest jmarcure

>It will work in XP.....I didn't even think anyone else had>the original MS Spacesim.>You have to set the compatibilty parameters in XP.>First....load the sim....then go to the directory and right>click on either of the Spacesim executable files (Spacesim or>SS1).>Click properties and that will bring up the compatibility>setup screens>Click compatibility and make your adjustments as>needed....also go to the memoryarea and set up that...all you>need there is to set everything to auto for XMS. This, by the>way , will work for pretty much all of the old DOS games....I>have no idea why this procedure is kept secret.>>Enjoy...! >I tried the above but still couldn't get it going. I think it is more a video issue rather than a compatibility one with me. Maybe my GeForce FX card is not VESA 1.2 usable. It is a very old standard.Jon

Guest jmarcure

I have confirmed that the newer GeForce cards are not VESA compatible under XP. This makes it very hard to run any of the old DOS games that use VESA video.I did a lot of searching but I couldn't fine a VESA driver for my card. The best suggestion I found was to replace it with a graphics card that uses an SIS chip set.Replacement is not something I would concider just to play Space Sim.Jon