Sign in to follow this  
Guest JamesM

Hard Time Steering

Guest JamesM

Hello,I have installed the Orbiter Flight Sim,I have a hard time steering, and lifting off

Guest VF2_Tim

Hi James,I'm also a newbie. Here are some suggestions that may help:Hit the "L" key. This will turn on an aid that automatically keeps the craft level to the horizon. Number Pad "0" will apply lifting thrusters. Once you have some altitude use Ctrl + to turn up the main thrusters. After you get up to speed with forward momentum, use the Number Pad "." to reduce lift thrusters. Some space craft fly better than others in the atmosphere. Keep an eye on your altitude to avoid crashes.If you're used to airplane sims (like I was), Orbiter can be tricky. Alot of your actions need to be countered with an opposite action. Especially when you get free of the atmosphere or are on a low gravity planet.

Guest jmarcure

There are no wing or control surfaces, only reaction control jets and a simple lift model. This makes the atmospheric flight handling marginal at best. It is not a good flight simulator although it is an excellent orbital and space flight simulator. As for me, I never even land on or take off from the planets. I prefer the challenge of traveling from space station to space station and docking. This preference is shown in the add-on space ships I have created as every one of them has real lousy flight models. My Jupiter 2, (from the 60's TV show), was almost un-flyable in atmosphere and a real bear to take off, but she handled real nice in space. Jon